Community
Wiki Posts
Search

minimum night enforced at hotel?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Beckles
So you know there is a three night minimum, they just don't document it thoroughly, but it is enforced by not allowing a booking of less than three nights ...
(emphasis added)

You are absolutely gaming the system in my opinion, you appear to be trying to justify it by claiming they don't document the minimum stay eight ways to Sunday, but to me this is a text book example of someone gaming the system. Now sometimes I have 'gamed' loyalty programs too, you can find examples on this very forum of me doing it, so I'm not saying gaming the system is inherently bad. However, there is a line of ethical gaming and unethical (but not illegal) gaming and I think this is on the side of unethical.
Is it also unethical in your mind, that as a flying elite I see an open FC seat (PRE-Covid Delta) from my Coach position and ask fhe FA to be upgraded, knowing full well the FA is not allowed to do so, yet does upgrade me? Fraud, IMO, requires deceit and trickery to accomplish something. The OP asked for an alternative and was granted. OP didnt say "oh I just found out my grandma passed away and I need to shorten my stay." That, IMO would be fraud.
Old May 2, 2021, 1:54 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by alxyng
Used "Pay my way" workaround to book a 3-night stay with mixed payment (first night on points, the rest on cash), and then call customer service to change the booking to only keep the first night.

It's a destination hotel (The Lodge at Kukui’ula) which does not allow less than 3 night anywhere (hyatt or OTAs) even if you search with all cash rate. This is the different part from What Andaz Maui does (only limiting points booking)

Should I be prepared for check-in? It's likely that the front desk has never seen a one-night booking before.

Also, the booking has the following policy written, and remains unchanged after the customer service removed 2 nights.
Yes, some properties have their own rules. And Hyatt would enforce those rules, such as age limit (safety reason) and minimum stay. Some have no refund policy during super peak period like Super Bowl and holiday season.

If you do not agree, then just do not book those properties. Hotel has reason to "walk" guests if the conditions are not met.

Once I had to cancel and rebook due to minor age limit.

Also, this property actually has a 5-night minimum stay. It is a condo property that has its own owner, not even Hyatt. The rash rate starts from $850. I recently booked a similar property and I follow their rules. I fully understand the reasons for condo property to have longer term during this peak time. So they can minimize the lost revenue. It has a 30-day advanced cancellation.
PG.backpacker likes this.

Last edited by RedSun; May 2, 2021 at 2:05 pm Reason: Addition
Old May 2, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Beckles
So you know there is a three night minimum, they just don't document it thoroughly, but it is enforced by not allowing a booking of less than three nights ...
(emphasis added)

You are absolutely gaming the system in my opinion, you appear to be trying to justify it by claiming they don't document the minimum stay eight ways to Sunday, but to me this is a text book example of someone gaming the system. Now sometimes I have 'gamed' loyalty programs too, you can find examples on this very forum of me doing it, so I'm not saying gaming the system is inherently bad. However, there is a line of ethical gaming and unethical (but not illegal) gaming and I think this is on the side of unethical.
I don't see it as an "eight ways to Sunday" sort of demand. This is far from the only situation where a major hotel chain's website is either (1) "light" on details or (2) has buried relevant information in a hard-to-get location (though with the lawsuits going about, there is at least less hiding of resort fees now...Marriott, for example, has a "See rates with all taxes and fees included" button but you still have to chase down parking). With the number of times I've had to beat a legal routing out of an airline or run into other issues, the fact that the website won't show a given reservation only necessarily tells me that the website has a bug unless the website says why it's not showing space.
Old May 2, 2021, 4:54 pm

One major overlooked point -- read #1 post closely

Originally mentioned by OP in initial post.
this original 3 night minimum booking was booked as a mixed ressie. First night as points remainder 2 nights as cash with full intentions of trimming reservation to one points night stay, probably getting a good return for points booking compared to cash rate. The second 2 nights were then cancelled, leaving a one night point stay. Imhotep this isnt to be put in the same category as Andaz Maui with minimum stays for award bookings. The OP could have booked a 3 night award and then trimmed stay to one night but probably didnt have the points readily available or didnt want to transfer them to hyatt. The OP knows that the hotel has 3 night minimum stay for everyone. I'm sure OP just got random CRO agent to reduce ressie and is looking for FT to justify OP actions. Fraud, that's a harsh claim. Deceitful intent most definitely esp given the type of lodging being offered. Some of these locations only offer WOH bookings for cash stays. Just something to think about
PG.backpacker likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 7:33 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I don't see it as an "eight ways to Sunday" sort of demand. This is far from the only situation where a major hotel chain's website is either (1) "light" on details or (2) has buried relevant information in a hard-to-get location (though with the lawsuits going about, there is at least less hiding of resort fees now.
Your use of the word 'demand' is a completely inaccurate characterization of what occurred based on the OP's posts in this thread, just read the OP's posts again.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 4:37 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Hi cm, how were you able to book 1 night stay with points? Were the cash nights refundable immediately? I don't want to be charged a deposit bc their rates are tricky at Andaz.
Originally Posted by cmjaffe
Originally mentioned by OP in initial post.
this original 3 night minimum booking was booked as a mixed ressie. First night as points remainder 2 nights as cash with full intentions of trimming reservation to one points night stay, probably getting a good return for points booking compared to cash rate. The second 2 nights were then cancelled, leaving a one night point stay. Imhotep this isnt to be put in the same category as Andaz Maui with minimum stays for award bookings. The OP could have booked a 3 night award and then trimmed stay to one night but probably didnt have the points readily available or didnt want to transfer them to hyatt. The OP knows that the hotel has 3 night minimum stay for everyone. I'm sure OP just got random CRO agent to reduce ressie and is looking for FT to justify OP actions. Fraud, that's a harsh claim. Deceitful intent most definitely esp given the type of lodging being offered. Some of these locations only offer WOH bookings for cash stays. Just something to think about

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.