40 Night gifts

Old Mar 21, 21, 11:41 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,333
40 Night gifts

S/B passing 40 next week. there are 3 choices the 5K in pts is OK but I feel the $100 GC is worth more, but is it an electronic card or physical? Id imagine like any GC its not restricted to $100 off base rate so if with tx you owe say $103 use the HGC and now you only owe $3. Are there any limitations to the HGC taht I should know about, with thee xception its only good at Hyatt Props?
craz is offline  
Old Mar 21, 21, 11:48 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 1,242
Originally Posted by craz View Post
S/B passing 40 next week. there are 3 choices the 5K in pts is OK but I feel the $100 GC is worth more, but is it an electronic card or physical? Id imagine like any GC its not restricted to $100 off base rate so if with tx you owe say $103 use the HGC and now you only owe $3. Are there any limitations to the HGC taht I should know about, with thee xception its only good at Hyatt Props?
You should check the list of properties that you can use it at - itís a wide list but itís not ALL Hyatt properties.

It doesnít expire and Iíd value the 5000 points at ~$75, so I always choose the $100 gift card.

Remembering to actually use them is a different issue...
coleslaw is offline  
Old Mar 21, 21, 12:07 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,333
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
You should check the list of properties that you can use it at - itís a wide list but itís not ALL Hyatt properties.
..
THX, had no idea that all props didnt take it, will make sure the ones I stay at or will stay at does.

I also put a $75 tag onto the 5K, but its better then the HGC if the hotels you stay at wont take the GC
craz is offline  
Old Mar 21, 21, 12:21 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat, HY Globule
Posts: 2,493
I had the same choice to make a month or so ago. Choose the $100 gift card. Received email with link to display it in a day or two. Already had a stay at the Hyatt Clearwater planned and it was simple to use. Just got the display up on my phone and showed to the FD agent. He took the $100 of my bill and Bob's you uncle.
xooz is offline  
Old Mar 21, 21, 12:36 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,333
Originally Posted by xooz View Post
I had the same choice to make a month or so ago. Choose the $100 gift card. Received email with link to display it in a day or two. Already had a stay at the Hyatt Clearwater planned and it was simple to use. Just got the display up on my phone and showed to the FD agent. He took the $100 of my bill and Bob's you uncle.
So the only way it can be used is if you have a Smartphone? so its not a physical card?
craz is offline  
Old Mar 21, 21, 12:40 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat, HY Globule
Posts: 2,493
Unsure... you could of course print out the displayed certificate and use that. It has a "pin" number on it. Other veterans would know more I suspect.
xooz is offline  
Old Mar 21, 21, 12:41 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 9,942
Originally Posted by craz View Post
So the only way it can be used is if you have a Smartphone? so its not a physical card?
definitely can print out
azepine00 is offline  
Old Mar 21, 21, 12:42 pm
  #8  
skj
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: IAH
Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,348
There's lots of discussion of the 40 night Milestone choices here : Milestone Rewards - FlyerTalk Forums
skj is offline  
Old Mar 21, 21, 12:43 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: san jose,calif
Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
Posts: 669
I presume you dont have the Hyatt credit card..you do lose some benefits by not using the card. Also the gift cards are pretty much only usable for domestic Hyatt hotels
retirementdreams is offline  
Old Mar 21, 21, 12:45 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 1,242
Originally Posted by retirementdreams View Post
I presume you dont have the Hyatt credit card..you do lose some benefits by not using the card. Also the gift cards are pretty much only usable for domestic Hyatt hotels
There are good options in Mexico for using them too.
coleslaw is offline  
Old Mar 21, 21, 2:53 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,015
I haven't seen the 40% promo for awhile, but with the 30% promo you can buy points for 1.85 cents each.

So, you take $100 off your next hotel bill in the US, and use $92.50 to buy 5k points if you need them.

It's not a hard choice for me to take the $100...
craigthemif is offline  
Old Mar 21, 21, 6:58 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 1,278
I've always chosen the 5000 points. I'm not sure if I've ever stayed at a Hyatt in the US (I must have?) but I recall reading the gift card is not widely accepted outside the US (maybe North America) which is why I chose the points initially
SHLTP is offline  
Old Mar 21, 21, 7:36 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Hollywood, CA
Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Glob-Lite, MLife Gold, Caesar's Diamond+, Delta and Southwest basic this year...
Posts: 401
I came looking for this question, how lucky am I that it has been recently asked here and also a link provided to a few years ago discussions! Seems most say to take the $100... as 5k points can be worth more or less depending on how you use them. I know NOTHING about these FIND experiences but as everyone seems to ignore them, I'll assume there's a reason. So my only question would be this, does one earn points on their stay when using the $100 gift card? Let's assume a 1 night stay, the room was exactly 10. If yes, there's one more reason to opt that route, I'd say.
Pocatello likes this.
Carolina2Cali is offline  
Old Mar 22, 21, 5:45 am
  #14  
skj
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: IAH
Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,348
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali View Post
So my only question would be this, does one earn points on their stay when using the $100 gift card? Let's assume a 1 night stay, the room was exactly 10. If yes, there's one more reason to opt that route, I'd say.
The gift card is just another form of payment and doesn't affect the eligible spend. Points and night credits are earned when the gift card is used. Anecdotally, this is true even when the T&Cs exclude gift cards as a form of payment.
Carolina2Cali and JackE like this.
skj is offline  
Old Mar 22, 21, 9:31 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: LAX, BUR
Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Posts: 1,824
$100
Hyatt Gift Card (valid at participating Hyatt hotels in the Americas, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean)

Americas = North, South, and Central
mhdena is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: