Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

End of free minibar snacks + soft drinks at Andaz?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2021, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold

Do we think this is permanent or temporary? I noticed it in San Diego and saw a report of it in Maui.

It's a bit funny; I'm sure it's "covid safety related," but groceries was the one thing America never shut down!

Taking bets as to whether this soft improvement will ever be back...
Old Mar 20, 2021, 6:05 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I hope it comes back. I found it to be a compelling part of the Andaz experience. Made you feel like you weren’t being nickeled and dimed
Old Mar 20, 2021, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Andaz Seoul still has it but cutback on quality less than a year after their opening.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 12:47 pm

I'll be visiting Andaz Papagayo soon. I haven't heard if they still have in room snacks but will let you know.

When I visited the Andaz Napa (Feb 2020 just before COVID) their selection was disappointing... soda and some cheap Costco snacks.

Old Mar 20, 2021, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I'll be visiting Andaz Papagayo soon. I haven't heard if they still have in room snacks but will let you know.

When I visited the Andaz Napa (Feb 2020 just before COVID) their selection was disappointing... soda and some cheap Costco snacks.

Andaz Mayakoba is the same thing... a mini tube of Pringles and a bag of Sour Patch Kids type candy, along with some cokes, water and an artificial sweetener laden “artisanal” drink.

What annoys me even more is properties that have switched out coffee mugs and glasses for paper cups.

Based on your photo it looks like they’ve at least got glasses... but what’s the big objection to “real” coffee cups/mugs?!
Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by stvr
Do we think this is permanent or temporary? I noticed it in San Diego and saw a report of it in Maui.

It's a bit funny; I'm sure it's "covid safety related," but groceries was the one thing America never shut down!

Taking bets as to whether this soft improvement will ever be back...
Can you elaborate on your experience in SD? Did the front desk explicitly say that snacks & soft drinks were no longer covered?

My experience recently has mostly been the one in Scottsdale, and while the minibar was still free so to speak, the offering was only a couple water bottles (which would be a Glob benefit anyways) and a small bag of potato chips.

So an alternative question could be: Will Andaz ever stock their minibars to pre-COVID levels?
Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:16 pm

During covid, IMO this amenity (minibar snacks and drink selections) should be presented to guests at the reception area instead of in-room placement.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not having packaged snacks/drinks in the room is hygiene theater and cost savings. There is zero COVID threat.

The lack of real glasses/mugs is similar from my view; are disposable items cheaper than washing glassware? (Or maybe just easier to manage from a staff perspective - no need to deal with kitchen staff.)

I stayed at a Waldorf Astoria that didn't even provide disposable cups "due to COVID." Took a fair amount of effort to get them to deliver some basic items to the room, though, to be fair, it was the day they reopened after a couple months of closure.

My sense is that hotels (and airlines) are going to keep up with cost saving in the name of hygiene (theater) as long as they can get away with it. I'm guessing that's at least a few more months in the US.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
That’s what Andaz Napa is doing. They give you a $10 per day credit to select from mini-bar type items in the lobby. Soda, refillable water bottle, beer, half bottles of wine, candy, chips etc.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by myperks
During covid, IMO this amenity (minibar snacks and drink selections) should be presented to guests at the reception area instead of in-room placement.
I’m pro mask, pro Covid precautions, pro being a decent human being.

But I don’t see how restocking a mini bar every day adds to COVID risks.
dw and MasterPlanner like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by myperks
This is exactly what they did at the Andaz Maui last month. We were offered a bag with several flavors of Maui Style chips and soft drinks at check-in, and told we could stop by anytime for more.
Single_Flyer, bbbb and jameswes like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 10:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
My stay at Andaz Dubai last September had empty minibars due to COVID, but they could be stocked on request. I requested the items, and was brought up two cans of a saccharine sweet soda and two ketchup miniature-sized jars of M&M’s.

I don’t know if this is a COVID cutback, but if Andaz as a brand does away with this lackluster sham permanently, I wouldn’t miss it.

khabah
Old Mar 20, 2021, 11:04 pm

Programs: Marriott PLAT
Was at Andaz Papagayo last week and typical in-room free soft drinks and snacks were provided.
​​​​​​

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I'll be visiting Andaz
Papagayo soon. I haven't heard if they still have in room snacks but will let you know.

Old Mar 21, 2021, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Andaz San Diego just said minibar would remain empty as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

Perhaps they meant as a result of the economic consequences of the pandemic.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by coleslaw
I’m pro mask, pro Covid precautions, pro being a decent human being.

But I don’t see how restocking a mini bar every day adds to COVID risks.
Yeah, we stopped Lysol-ing our groceries back in April or May 2020, when it became clearer the COVID risk was mostly airborne.

But if hotels want to cost cut, the minibar probably isn't a dealbreaker for most Andaz guests. I probably wouldn't mind myself asking for it to be stocked with things I would actually drink/eat, rather than just pick a couple of things and ignore the rest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.