Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

N. America resort recommendations for August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2021, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond

We are from the west coast, looking for a family resort with small kids for August for 5 days to a week. Any recommendation?
Not interestes in
SE US or Carribean due to hurricane season.
We've been to most places around CA and Hawaii so ideally somewhere else.

Does not need to be a tropical resort as most NA will be warm if not hot in August. Actually prefer a place that won't be 100 degrees scorching hot.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by SFOvacations
We are from the west coast, looking for a family resort with small kids for August for 5 days to a week. Any recommendation?
Not interestes in
SE US or Carribean due to hurricane season.
We've been to most places around CA and Hawaii so ideally somewhere else.

Does not need to be a tropical resort as most NA will be warm if not hot in August. Actually prefer a place that won't be 100 degrees scorching hot.

Vail and/or Aspen might be good places to visit in August. I often go to Vail during non-ski season, Park Hyatt Beaver Creek and Grand Hyatt Vail are both nice hotels in that area. Hyatt Residence Club in Aspen or there are several Destination Hotels near Aspen (Snowmass). Those Destination Hotels might be helpful if you like to cook for your kids. There is some nice hot springs in Glenwood Springs - it’s not that far from Vail or Aspen.

Breckenridge might also be a good place to visit. Never stayed at Hyatt Residence Club Breckenridge but looks like it’s in a good location. You can make a quick day trip to Denver/Boulder or even to Colorado Springs.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 4:04 pm

For late August mountain towns in CO or UT are good ideas the weather will be great. The PH at Beaver Creek and Grand Hyatt in Vail are good suggestions I've stayed at both places a number of times. I would also consider the Hyatt Grand Residence in Aspen. The hotel it not quite as nice as the two mentioned above but the town of Aspen is outstanding and in my opinion blows away the village at Beaver Creek or Vail in the summer. That Hyatt is in the heart of everything, I'd highly suggest looking into that property as well.

Also, while not officially a Hyatt, the Stein Eriksen Residences in Deer Valley is associated with Hyatt through the SLH collection and is a spectacular property. It definitely had one of the nicest rooms that I've ever stayed in and the area of Deer Valley which is right near Park City is beautiful. It's a 10 minute ride to Park City, which is my 2nd favorite ski town behind Aspen, so it's not right in the center of town like the Hyatt in Aspen but the property is much newer and nicer. Either way you really couldn't go wrong with any of the resorts mentioned above. If I were going back to each place during the summer time I'd rank them as follows. Hyatt Aspen, Stein Eriksen Deer Valley, PH Beaver Creek, GH Vail. This ranking has nothing to do with the underlying hotels and everything with location/things to do in the summer. All four are very nice hotels.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Will definitely look into the mountain properties in UT and CO
Old Mar 3, 2021, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hyatt Centric Park City could be a good one.

Also some of the northern SD county places? Aviara or the new Alila?
Old Mar 3, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Hyatt Sedona.
Or if you’ll consider ex-Hyatt, Jenny Lake Lodge in Grand Teton Natl Park, Wyo
Old Mar 3, 2021, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Hyatt Centric Park City could be a good one.

Also some of the northern SD county places? Aviara or the new Alila?
Yes the Hyatt Centric Park City is a good suggestion for UT too. The Canyons area where the hotel is at is a little sleepy but on the positive side the Centric property is very nice too and they treat Globalists really well as far as upgrades go. For the summer though I'd still prefer one of the properties I mentioned above instead.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 5:26 pm

Hyatt Hill Country, just outside San Antonio. It has lots of stuff to do on property, and depending on how old your kids are the Schlitterbahn Water Park is nearby too.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 6:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Santa Fe might be fun. HP Santa Fe is good for location but HR Tamaya is nicer.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 7:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Manchester Grand Hyatt - San Diego, CA
Old Mar 3, 2021, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for hyatt resorts outside CA - CO is definitely the best bet in august; all other places (NM, AZ, TX) will be hot..
i would also consider HR Lake Washington near SEA - new, sits on the lake, nice indoor pool (hopefully reopen by then), adjacent park with swimmable beach where kids can go crazy and plenty of day trip options nearby
moyafmx likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00
for hyatt resorts outside CA - CO is definitely the best bet in august; all other places (NM, AZ, TX) will be hot..
i would also consider HR Lake Washington near SEA - new, sits on the lake, nice indoor pool (hopefully reopen by then), adjacent park with swimmable beach where kids can go crazy and plenty of day trip options nearby
Sounds like a good spot right outside SEA to explore the pacific NW.

Any suggestions for the Northeast? Spruce Peak in Vermont caught my attention but haven't seen many reviews of it on here.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by SFOvacations
Sounds like a good spot right outside SEA to explore the pacific NW.

Any suggestions for the Northeast? Spruce Peak in Vermont caught my attention but haven't seen many reviews of it on here.
I go to the Lodge at Spruce Peak every year. It's one of the best resorts in the Northeast and is at the same level as any of the best ski hotels out west. I happen to like the suites there alot, they are essential someone's apartment that the hotel rents out. I didn't bring it up Spruce Peak originally because I thought it may be too far but definitely highly recommend it there, Stowe is a nice New England town. If your looking at the Northeast another place to consider is Lake Placid, it's beautiful up there and every bit as nice as some of the mountain towns out west. The Mirror Lake Inn is another SLH brand that is associated with Hyatt. We were up there in late August last year and had an excellent time. The hotel is historical and really cool. It's also right on the lake and 2 minute walking distance into town that has tons of restaurants, shops and lots of Olympic things to look at and do. The accommodations aren't as new as the Lodge at Spruce Peak but I like Lake Placid much better in the summer than I do Stowe. Hope all of this is helpful, good luck! Here are a few pictures of the views from the Mirror Lake Inn.....

SanDiego1K and River in Sight like this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 5:44 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
What sort of activities, if any, are you looking for, especially for your kids ? If you're willing to travel across country, you may want to look at

Hyatt Chesapeake Bay Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - FlyerTalk Forums

It's possible it could be affected by a hurricane, but it's far enough north the likelihood is lessened.

They are relatively new to Hyatt (and I didn't see any reviews here) but the Suncadia properties In Washington may be a good option.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Wyndhurst in the Berkshires is a great resort property, nice area in the summer...but I don't know the area well enough to talk about kid appeal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.