Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Destination Residences Wailea Ekahi Village

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2021, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Spent a few days there after Xmas.

Booked an award... Well, started by trying to BRG to priceline rate that was roughly $100/nt cheaper; booked on Hyatt site while on the phone with BRG agent and promptly got denied due to PL rate being non-refundable and Hyatt nonrefundable within 30 days (that all took place a couple days before arrival). Asked agent to cancel - she could not without property authorization, so she called the property and found out that a manager who could authorize refund was gone for xmal and would not return in time for my check in. Thankfully Hyatt rep was able to convert the overpriced hyatt paid rate into award which with current rebate is a decent deal.

Got to property around noon - it's a bunch of condos with resident office closed for the holidays. Not a single employee anywhere, no information how to get in. Called Hyatt, the agent spent 10 min trying to locate any contact and eventually got someone on the phone. Turned out they are fully contactless but noone bothered to inform me or post any info about it on the website or at the condo office. She emailed me two documents to sign (some rules and covid stuff) - signing an emailed pdf in the car while your only tool is your phone is not a trivial task; had to download some apps for that but eventually got it out (most businesses use docusign for things like that). Was told that the room was not ready, no upgrades or any glob recognition (not required but still...) and i would get a text with access codes later.

Around 3pm codes arrived and i was able to find our ground floor studio that reminded me of apartment i rented fresh out of college many years ago (at it was built probably around that time too). While small it was perfectly serviceable with fold out couch (although it is not guaranteed and individual units vary). It had a decent patio with weber grill, full kitchen with drip coffee, good wifi and to my surprise Shanghai Tang Mandarin orange amenities - haven't seen those since Conrad HK years ago so it was a very pleasant surprise. Housekeeping was working nearby and helped us with extra towels sheets and toiletries. The only major annoyance with the room was individual water heater of tiny capacity so by the time wife and daughter were done washing hair there was no hot water left. It was consistently 15 min or so to go cold - barely enough for quick shower for 4...

The property scores major points with location - pretty much adjacent to andaz with access to excellent local beach where kihei ends and wailea begins. Great for swimming and snorkeling - mostly sand (unlike inconsistent rocky/reefy part of kaanapali next to HR) with large pocket of lava rock right next to entrance. The property has a nice elevated clubhouse and a smallish pool - good enough to dip after ocean swim. Awesome sunset views. Not crowded. Beach is anywhere from 1-10 min from condo depending on exact location and how fast you walk. Rooms also have nice beach chairs to use - a very useful addition. Wailea shopping center is 10-15 min walk or 3 min drive away - grocery story and food court there are more than sufficient. Monkeypod by Merryman just a few min away - open for dining but with long wait, we got takeout and ate on the patio 5 min later.
Easy to access Wailea/Makena beaches and snorkeling/surfing sites. Wailea beach walk starts next to the property if you are into jogging in the morning.

Overall it's a decent condo in a great location - next time i would just book 1 or 2 bdrs via priceline or from owners - the premium hyatt charges offers few if any benefits or perks. Redeeming points is a useful option but you are likely to be stuck in a studio.
gooseman13 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 7:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Did your stay post yet for credit?
Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stvr
Did your stay post yet for credit?
nope - it's been a week so far.. HRC stay prior to this also posted as ineligible (?) and had to be chased manually...
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Did you happen to look at booking through the Destination Residence first? I saw that for Eloku village (further from the beach, but also a Destination Residence), prices were comparable but the bigger deposit, offset by the fact that you could choose your condos in advance.

I’m thinomg of eirking from the condo for a week and then moving to the Andaz, not sure which way to book.

I’ll look at Priceline but I do want stay credit, so probably not.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:49 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
I just came back from the Ekolu Village stay of 9 nights (check in Dec 23, checkout Jan 1). Experience slightly different than the OP but also all contactless and they texted me prior to my arrival with the paperwork. Redeemed 180K points for 9 nights. This is a decent value. It all depends on what condo you get since they are different. Stay posted to 2020 for some reason even though my understanding is that that Hyatt cares about the date you check out (in this case, Jan. 1). Have not received my points rebate yet and the elite nights I think got "wiped out" because Hyatt considers me having completed my stay based on my account activity on December 31. Overall, I would redeem points at this location again. For 20K a night, it is great value especially if you get a nice condo (which is what we got).
Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:17 am

At double elite nights, I would be following up to get my 9*2=18 elite nights posted for 2021.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by xooz
At double elite nights, I would be following up to get my 9*2=18 elite nights posted for 2021.
I agree. This is what I was counting on. I submitted a missing stay request indicating that the checkout date of December 31 is incorrect and that it should be January 1, not December 31. Not sure how I can escalate this or to whom since for some reason it posted as checkout date of December 31.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachfan
Did you happen to look at booking through the Destination Residence first? I saw that for Eloku village (further from the beach, but also a Destination Residence), prices were comparable but the bigger deposit, offset by the fact that you could choose your condos in advance.

I’m thinomg of eirking from the condo for a week and then moving to the Andaz, not sure which way to book.

I’ll look at Priceline but I do want stay credit, so probably not.
Interesting - i did not see the page that lists actual individual units prior to booking; i went from the front page and it linked to normal hyatt reservation. Do bookings from there earn hyatt credit? If not, maybe it is possible to request a specific unit within category by booking with hyatt and contacting the property.
The pictures there are not necessarily current al least for the unit we stayed in but being able to pick location, floor etc is a useful option. I just checked a couple random dates and PL no longer has the discounted rates i saw and destination hotel page pricing is similar to hyatt with some variations for individual units.

To us direct beach access for quick in and out swims snorkeling and and kids play is the main draw therefore ekolu and grand champions (makes me think of indian wells ) are a no go but ekahi and elua are perfect and within reasonable price range. Mixing those with a few days at kaanapali properties (and HR pools) or Andaz or perhaps Hana is a great single island vacation - i am very happy with hyatt choices right now.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
My reason for Ekolu is savings $$, which will be spent in the second week at the Andaz. I will be working from the condo, and avoiding work at the Andaz. If I wasn't working, I'd agree about the direct beach access.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 8:47 pm

Did anyone who stayed already try contacting the local management beforehand to see about whether Hyatt status might get recongized via a better (within category even) condo assignment? I'm sure they vary as to how old the furniture/decor is.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Idk about better recognition - i'd lower the expectations - my Ekahi stay from 1 mo (!) ago still has not posted. WoH folks told me they opened a ticked 2+ weeks ago and still nothing.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HIlton Diamond
We spent two weeks at Ekolu in 2021 in two different units. The 1bdrm was good and the 2bdrm was great (updated). Now, I'm thinking about a 2bdrm condo at Ekahi but just a little worried that I might get a bad unit. There are mostly good comments on TA but a few terrible ones and no way to choose the unit in advance. Does Hyatt do anything to make sure the bad units aren't in play for their members? If a unit was truly bad, do you think I'd have any ability to get it changed as a Globalist and finally, am I over-worrying?
Old Mar 3, 2022, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by eternalX
We spent two weeks at Ekolu in 2021 in two different units. The 1bdrm was good and the 2bdrm was great (updated). Now, I'm thinking about a 2bdrm condo at Ekahi but just a little worried that I might get a bad unit. There are mostly good comments on TA but a few terrible ones and no way to choose the unit in advance. Does Hyatt do anything to make sure the bad units aren't in play for their members? If a unit was truly bad, do you think I'd have any ability to get it changed as a Globalist and finally, am I over-worrying?
I stayed in a 3BR in Ekahi last fall. To my surprise, the check-in agent made a big deal of my Hyatt status (I'm just a Discoverist). The front desk/check-in staff were helpful when I called a few days before arrival to try and get assigned to a nicer unit. If they still have that attitude, you should be good. You might call before booking, or after booking but within the cancellation window, to feel them out about getting a good unit.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 9:29 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Walked by this property a few days ago. Less crowded and more calm than the Andaz.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 12:50 am

Does anyone know if resort fee will be waived for Globalist on paid night at this property?
atojbk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.