Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt cxl policy over holidays is 30d despite COVID?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Checked cancellation policy on a couple reservations for the holidays and then tried a few new bookings - all seem to show 30d deadline to cancel on points or paid.
Is it for real in the days of escalating COVID?
Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Most properties I’ve looked at still have 24 hours before check in. Some show 72 hours. Hyatt did put out a notice saying that the flexibility doesn’t apply across all properties / dates and that you should check the cancelation policy that applies at time of booking.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I checked multiple properties on kauai, maui and papagayo for good measure for 12/28-1/2 - every single one was either 30d or dec 1.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I have 14 days at Andaz Mayakoba over New Years. I can understand they're trying to discourage speculative bookings during one of the very few periods of high demand.
writerguyfl and itsallgood like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hyatt is looking for serious customers, not speculative bookings. It reasonably believes that it will sell the rooms with the 30-day cancellation and, if it can, it will do so.
Dsm2m2 and skywalkerLAX like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 7:51 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What happens if a customer gets a last minute positive COVID-19 test just before departure to Hawaii? A big penalty seems unfair.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Hyatt is looking for serious customers, not speculative bookings. It reasonably believes that it will sell the rooms with the 30-day cancellation and, if it can, it will do so.
What they will get is a bunch of sick ppl who can not cancel and decide to go and walk it off.

Obviously all travel providers want to secure business but this is not your average holiday travel year.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 8:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What happens if a customer gets a last minute positive COVID-19 test just before departure to Hawaii? A big penalty seems unfair.
I’m guessing that IF you provide proof of a positive COVID test taken within 2 weeks of the arrival date you’d want to talk to Hyatt Customer Service and or the property’s GM and push it up the ladder.

That’s a unique case, but I’m sure in that situation cancellation would be possible. Every time I’ve gotten a Covid test they ask if I need a note for work, so I’m assuming if you actually test positive you’ll get plenty of confirmation paperwork to provide.
Often1 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:09 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Another reason for flexibility is due to ever-changing travel restrictions. Even if you are healthy, there is no guarantee that a country/state/locality won't impose new restrictions a few days before you travel. I hope they'd be flexible if this happens, but no way would I book a hotel with a 30-day cancellation policy under current circumstances.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 1:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
It's a bold move let's see how it works out for them
Old Nov 19, 2020, 4:02 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Only from a completely one-sided perspective. Why should the hotel bear the risk of a guest catching COVID prior to arrival? And if that's a concern, the traveler should purchase travel insurance. That's what I did for a recent VRBO rental, which turned completely nonrefundable at 14 days. It cost about 5% of the insured amount.

I'll add that one night's hotel is really not that much of a risk. People make much larger nonrefundable outlays for travel all the time (for example, above-referenced VRBO purchase).

I suspect that the Hyatt resorts imposing 14 or 30 day cancels are viewing Christmas/New Years as their only opportunity to actually make any money for the foreseeable future. I have a hard time faulting them.

Originally Posted by stvr
It's a bold move let's see how it works out for them
It's really not. Hotels all over the world are doing this. It's been the norm with many Marriott properties for months now.

Overall, Hyatt is much better than Marriott in terms of offering 24 hour cancels.
wrldwide1 and writerguyfl like this.

Last edited by Kacee; Nov 19, 2020 at 4:08 am
Old Nov 19, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
I was concerned about that as well. The hotel we are hoping to stay at over Christmas and NYE is one we stay at often (well not this year) so I contacted them and they replied that they would waive the 30-day cancel for me. I kept that email. Of course we truly do hope to go and just yesterday I altered our flights again to hopefully ensure ability to get a pre-travel COVID test.

Also booked a trip to DC for the inauguration- for that one had to boom hotel in VA as all hotels in DC had a full pre-pay non cancel policy.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SF1K
Also booked a trip to DC for the inauguration- for that one had to boom hotel in VA as all hotels in DC had a full pre-pay non cancel policy.
Have you considered booking with points? There’s lots of Hyatt availability at 12k (Hyatt Place) or 15k (Grand Hyatt) with 24 hour cancellation policies.

Last edited by coleslaw; Nov 19, 2020 at 8:02 am
Old Nov 19, 2020, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The larger issue is that booking far in advance is not a great idea until the pandemic is under control. Some risks can't be eliminated, but I also doubt that anyone would seriously fly 6-10 hours while positive and face the significant downsides of medical treatment far from home.

If the property is wrong and it is not seeing the level of bookings it needs, it will have to adjust its policies. This could include rates and cancellation as well as other features. But, it would appear that this property has assessed the market otherwise. Remains to be seen.

In the meantime, I would not presume that a change in travel rules or one's health status will result in a policy waiver rather than a referral to one's travel insurance (which likely will not cover these risks).
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
T
If the property is wrong and it is not seeing the level of bookings it needs, it will have to adjust its policies. This could include rates and cancellation as well as other features. But, it would appear that this property has assessed the market otherwise. Remains to be seen.
I think we already learned that in the days of pandemic "let the market decide" is not the smartest approach. There will be enough people who travel while sick if they have a nonrefundable deposit on the line - if the airlines recognize it and make everything cancellable surely Hyatt can do as well.

Normally Hyatt is one the most reasonable travel providers - i was genuinely surprised to discover this issue. As someone noted buying travel insurance - that's what refundable rates are - people pay higher rate to be able to cancel; i wouldnt even mind paying extra $20 nonrefundable fee to hotel to cover the uncertainties for point reservations as those are not normally covered by any external insurances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.