Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Mission pacific (JdV) and adjacent Seabird resort (Destination) Oceanside, CA MASTER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mission pacific (JdV) and adjacent Seabird resort (Destination) Oceanside, CA MASTER

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skj
JdV, Destination, and Alila are Hyatt brands. SLH and MGM are partners that participate in WoH to some degree.
Strange that not all WOH Elite Benefits are offered at all Destination properties if they are fully Hyatt brands. SLH and MGM are definitely treated very differently in terms of categories.

I’ve noticed though overall these properties have higher category placement than would a nearby Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Centric, or Hyatt Regency, often when the Hyatt branded ones are better quality or have a higher ADR (average daily rate).

That said what do you believe would be the ADR and Category placement for these?
Old Oct 16, 2020, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Strange that not all WOH Elite Benefits are offered at all Destination properties if they are fully Hyatt brands. SLH and MGM are definitely treated very differently in terms of categories.

I’ve noticed though overall these properties have higher category placement than would a nearby Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Centric, or Hyatt Regency, often when the Hyatt branded ones are better quality or have a higher ADR (average daily rate).

That said what do you believe would be the ADR and Category placement for these?
The majority of Destination properties are called Destination Residences, they are basically apartment buildings or villas for short-term rent and do not have the amenities (lobby, club lounge, onsite restaurant, spa,...) to provide WoH elite benefits. Some even do not participate in point redemption because their rental rates are too high, although you still get points for booking. At the proper Destination resorts or hotels, they do provide elite benefits.

As for SLH, I believe Hyatt pays rack rate to the hotel/resort when WoH members redeem points to stay at those properties. That's why the cash rates for SLH on Hyatt website are often not competitive.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 1:29 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Matt4200

More than half of all the JdV properties are in the San Francisco/San Jose area. They range from Cat 3 to 5, just like the other Hyatt brands in the area, and there doesn't seem to be any unusually high placements for the JdV properties.

To get back on topic, I agree with you and would guess the Seabird Resort (the DH brand) to be Cat 5 and the Mission Pacific to be a Cat 4, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's also a Cat 5 as the 2 properties are adjacent to each other. I don't see them higher than a Cat 5 given the nearby PH Aviara is a 5. The new Alila could easily be a Cat 6, though, and set a new ceiling for the area.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skj
More than half of all the JdV properties are in the San Francisco/San Jose area. They range from Cat 3 to 5, just like the other Hyatt brands in the area, and there doesn't seem to be any unusually high placements for the JdV properties.

To get back on topic, I agree with you and would guess the Seabird Resort (the DH brand) to be Cat 5 and the Mission Pacific to be a Cat 4, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's also a Cat 5 as the 2 properties are adjacent to each other. I don't see them higher than a Cat 5 given the nearby PH Aviara is a 5. The new Alila could easily be a Cat 6, though, and set a new ceiling for the area.
Based on what I’ve seen I definitely wouldn’t place them as the same level/quality as Aviara. I’d consider them to be the same level as Andaz SD or Manchester GH in a Cat 4.

The quality from the JDV properties in SF is horrible in comparison to the Hyatt Properties from experience and from looking at pictures/reviews. Although I think most JDV’s are in line with their category placement I disagree with Destination properties Placements as a whole. Along with SLH and MGM brings very overweight in placement.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by skj

I think they will likely both come in as Cat. 5, especially with Aviara jumping up to a Cat. 6 in March. It seems like if a hotel is on the bubble, they almost always shift up at 5 so people can't use their CC free nights.

And I don't see any way the new Alila is not a Cat. 7. That property is right on the beach and I imagine cash rates will be really high.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 9:19 am
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by spgplat21
I think they will likely both come in as Cat. 5, especially with Aviara jumping up to a Cat. 6 in March. It seems like if a hotel is on the bubble, they almost always shift up at 5 so people can't use their CC free nights.

And I don't see any way the new Alila is not a Cat. 7. That property is right on the beach and I imagine cash rates will be really high.
neither of the hotels is right on the beach. there is a road/path and some sort of stairs in between. see post #7

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32745318-post7.html
Old Oct 17, 2020, 11:30 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold

Originally Posted by 59Impala
neither of the hotels is right on the beach. there is a road/path and some sort of stairs in between. see post #7

It's the new Alila that appears to be right on the beach. The 2 hotels discussed in this thread are, as you noted, right across the street. They do appear to be closer and more accessible to the beach than the nearby Cat 5 HR Huntington Beach, with its pedestrian bridge over a fairly major road.
59Impala likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 9:45 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP

Totally agree and didn't say anything to the contrary (I was speaking about the new Alila property). I have stayed nearby several times and as others have noted this is more of a "beach road" and not a main thoroughfare. The walk across this street is nothing major and certainly wouldn't deter me from staying here, but I'm guessing the hotel won't have any beach services such as chairs or drinks which certainly hurts the "luxury" appeal. This beach can get pretty crowded, especially in the summer, so I wouldn't expect to sleep in and get a great spot on the beach. Oceanside is a fun town with several restaurants and shops within walking distance of this area, so these look like good options for people looking for a CA beach vacation that don't want to splurge for a place like the Montage, Ritz or new Alila. The Park Hyatt Aviara will almost certainly still be a nicer/better resort property for people wanting to use Hyatt points, but beach access from Aviara is not great. I know my kids would prefer a less nice hotel with better beach access, so we will likely give this a place a try next summer if the opening date sticks.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 10:01 pm
formerly a193991
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Totally agree and didn't say anything to the contrary (I was speaking about the new Alila property).
sorry my bad. Didn‘t read exactly enough.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 12:10 pm

Well with Michael Stephens (Andaz Maui Resort) as area managing director don't expect a lot of award inventory.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 1:59 am
formerly a193991
Original Poster

Planning a stay here in September 2021. I am not familiar with neiterther JDV nor Destination hotels. We are 2 couples each mid 50's and enjoy the calmness.
Any suggestions, which hotel to opt for?
What are the major differences between JDV and Destination hotels? Is one of them more targetted to adults?

Thanks for any insight.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 12:35 pm

Planning a stay here in September 2021. I am not familiar with neiterther JDV nor Destination hotels. We are 2 couples each mid 50's and enjoy the calmness.
Any suggestions, which hotel to opt for?
What are the major differences between JDV and Destination hotels? Is one of them more targetted to adults?

Thanks for any insight.
Between the 2 brands, Destination is positioned higher and has more upscale design to appeal mature, family oriented customers; JdV often has more playful, quirky design to target younger crowd.

However, consider Oceanside is a surfing destination and the location of these 2 resorts right at the pier, I don't think they will give you the calmness you're looking for. A safer bet would be the new Alila further down the road.
59Impala likes this.

Last edited by PG.backpacker; Jan 2, 2021 at 2:52 pm
Old Jan 2, 2021, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PG.backpacker
A safer bet would be the new Alila further down the road.
What I was thinking as well.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 2:15 pm
formerly a193991
Original Poster

Mission Pacific hotel now accepting reservations starting June 1st.
Rates for September are 789$ (standard rate). With my Corp code it is 670$.
seems very high to me... or just some initial fictitious rate? or is this an accurate rate?
Old Jan 5, 2021, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Mission Pacific hotel now accepting reservations starting June 1st.
Rates for September are 789$ (standard rate). With my Corp code it is 670$.
seems very high to me... or just some initial fictitious rate? or is this an accurate rate?
Absolutely insane.
River in Sight and 59Impala like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.