Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt room for 75,000 points per night?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2020, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles, AAdvantage, SPG

This morning I made a reservation at Park Hyatt Beaver Creek for Dec 27 - Jan 3 for 30,000 points per night, normal rate at Category 7 Hyatt. This afternoon my sister-in-law went to make a reservation for same dates and they were charging 74,229 points per night! What's up with this? Suites, if available, are only 60,000. I've stayed at this hotel many times, even over New Years a few years ago, and have never seen more than 30,000. Should she call World of Hyatt?
Old Oct 12, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Probably a temporary glitch. Can't see any award nights at the moment...
Old Oct 12, 2020, 1:21 pm

Just checked Nov 6 - 8 still 30k a night for standard, 48k for standard suite, 60k for premium suite. Rate so low its better to book prive.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 3:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Just checked Nov 6 - 8 still 30k a night for standard, 48k for standard suite, 60k for premium suite. Rate so low its better to book prive.
I think I heard from a Prive’ agent that most properties don’t allow bookings around Christmas/New Years with the 3rd Night free offer for the OP’s situation.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Matt4200
I think I heard from a Prive’ agent that most properties don’t allow bookings around Christmas/New Years with the 3rd Night free offer for the OP’s situation.
They are offering 5th night free on paid bookings even at Christmas/New Years. This is on website - not Prive. Bookings must still be light.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Are you sure your sister-in-law wasn't looking at the redemption cost from the Chase or AMEX travel portal, with a cash booking paid using UR or MR points?
Old Oct 12, 2020, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by merrickdb
Are you sure your sister-in-law wasn't looking at the redemption cost from the Chase or AMEX travel portal, with a cash booking paid using UR or MR points?
After talking to her more that is exactly what she did. Not a great value but at least she got a room.

Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
EDIT: I didn’t see the post above. Never mind.

Last edited by blahmeh14; Oct 13, 2020 at 5:34 am
Old Oct 13, 2020, 5:22 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by blahmeh14
Glitches like this happened occasionally with P+C for a couple years on random properties before they announced the switch to dynamic pricing. I have a screenshot of the Park Hyatt New York pricing out at 15k + $538 back when the standard price was 15k + $300. $538 on that day happened to be 1/2 of the standard rate, and a year later that turned out to be the new P+C pricing scheme!

Things like this usually aren’t random code glitches — after all, why would 74,229 even be coded in as a possibility if it’s not on the published award chart? Either they coded the backend for retrieving pricing in a very convoluted/inefficient way instead of, for instance, just referencing a table, or they are building future functionality and it was accidentally pushed to production for a sec.

My guess is that it’s the latter, and they are testing out dynamic award pricing on the back end. I doubt they’ll roll it out in the new year, but when demand eventually recovers we can probably expect it then. They’ve been hinting at a fully dynamic pricing model for quite some time, and when companies roll changes like this out, it’s usually been running in parallel on the backend with the current system for quite some time so that they have sufficient opportunity to identify and fix as many bugs as possible with the algorithm. This definitely fits with the fact that many speculate that the announced (and postponed) three tier system is merely a stepping stone.
Did you read the immediately preceding posts ? This redemption was not via Hyatt. Hyatt could be considering dynamic pricing but this example does nothing to indicate a move in that direction.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 5:31 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by skj
Did you read the immediately preceding posts ? This redemption was not via Hyatt. Hyatt could be considering dynamic pricing but this example does nothing to indicate a move in that direction.
...Oops. Egg on my face. That’s what I get for being a know it all. Please disregard!
Scott Kiwi likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by whumpf
After talking to her more that is exactly what she did. Not a great value but at least she got a room.

Thanks.
Wouldn’t it be better if she uses the “Pay Yourself Back” promotion on other charges that are on her account and instead books a paid rate at Hyatt? Maybe even buying points into your account for Guest of Honor privileges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.