Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Globalist Over-Entitlement Syndrome

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2020, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Am I the only one seriously annoyed by this?

We see it all the time... people trying to get (in my opinion, scam) the hotels into *giving* them extra perks on top of what is actually included in the WOH Terms.

Examples include:
1. Free upgrades to premium suites. "Because occupancy is low..."
2. Excess free food during breakfast. "I'm entitled to everything that MIGHT be available to me as part of a continental breakfast in the lounge so I order a half dozen entrees and expect each to be FREE."
3. Advance upgrades to suites without the use of TSU. "I'd really like a suite for my upcoming stay even though you don't accept TSUs and/or there's none available... so I'm going to keep bugging you until you give me one in advance."

What's particularly annoying is the methods used to achieve this objective:
1. Calling/tweeting/emailing and otherwise harassing the staff (repeatedly) until they give in to the demand.
2. Leaving negative reviews (or threat thereof).

NOTE: I'm NEVER one to turn down a free upgrade to a premium suite or any other perk the hotel wants to offer me for my loyalty. However, I'm also never one to ask for such things, or use either of the techniques above to achieve it.

So why am I annoyed? I feel like this behavior reduces the amount of perks available to the rest of us. Instead of Globalists being viewed as the best customers, we are instead labeled as GOES'ers and treated commensurately. The bad apples ruin it for the rest of us.

Thoughts? Let's keep it civil. NO, not targeting anyone personally - I'm targeting a specific type of behavior.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
Am I the only one seriously annoyed by this?

We see it all the time... people trying to get (in my opinion, scam) the hotels into *giving* them extra perks on top of what is actually included in the WOH Terms.

Examples include:
1. Free upgrades to premium suites. "Because occupancy is low..."
2. Excess free food during breakfast. "I'm entitled to everything that MIGHT be available to me as part of a continental breakfast in the lounge so I order a half dozen entrees and expect each to be FREE."
3. Advance upgrades to suites without the use of TSU. "I'd really like a suite for my upcoming stay even though you don't accept TSUs and/or there's none available... so I'm going to keep bugging you until you give me one in advance."

1. Calling/tweeting/emailing and otherwise harassing the staff (repeatedly) until they give in to the demand.
2. Leaving negative reviews (or threat thereof).

NOTE: I'm NEVER one to turn down a free upgrade to a premium suite or any other perk the hotel wants to offer me for my loyalty. However, I'm also never one to ask for such things, or use either of the techniques above to achieve it.

So why am I annoyed? I feel like this behavior reduces the amount of perks available to the rest of us. Instead of Globalists being viewed as the best customers, we are instead labeled as GOES'ers and treated commensurately. The bad apples ruin it for the rest of us.

Thoughts? Let's keep it civil. NO, not targeting anyone personally - I'm targeting a specific type of behavior.
I couldn’t disagree more. Prior to any stay I do several things to increase my upgrade chances including:
1) asking my concierge for assistance
2) sending a personal email to guest service rep at the property introducing myself and requesting additional upgrade if available
3) sending a personal email to the GM also requesting additional upgrade to a premium suite if available

I have found in most instances the property and its staff to be happy to assist and glad I reached out. This is what continues to endear me to Hyatt. I’m always made to feel special and welcome with very few exceptions.
lsquare, Brandinho1 and Matt4200 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

txhyattlvr - do you work at a Hyatt? If not, where do you witness this behavior - just on the forums?

I’m definitely in the “happy with stated benefits; very happy with extra” camp where I basically never ask for more than I should get.

But I’m really not aware that others are taking more and leaving me less. I certainly haven’t seen that, anyway.
Football Fan and computerguy like this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 12:13 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I agree with the OP. Some of this (e.g. suite upgrades) are a zero sum game, and where I'm competing with people who would beg, threaten, harass and otherwise go the extra mile so that they are treated better than me, I will get less. There is plainly a cultural thing here (some of the stuff I've seen pulled on receptionists is scandalous - it's like the artist formerly known as Prince is in the house), but as everyone with their own approach, I find the various strong-arm and/ or begging tactics various people use to get better service undesirable.

In a way Hyatt (and SLH hotels in particular) has been a refuge from this kind of behaviour for me. After the Marriott acquisition of SPG, Marriott elites seemed to arrive at former SPG hotels en-masse with their "special" demands, and I do wonder if even in a small way that contributed to the decline of the reliable delivery of the benefits actually promised in the programme.
txhyattlvr likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 12:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'm also on the camp of "happy with stated benefits; very happy with extra" camp. I personally haven't witnessed any DYKWIA in the wild. Perhaps some posters here might be giving you this impression.

I do notice that some travel blogger types do have a tendency to push for what they want (sometimes above and beyond what they are entitled). Oh well.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I usually just take what I've given and 99.5% of the time it's fine. I don't really see a lot of DYKWIA in Asia but I'm sure it happens.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 2:33 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
The DYKWIA are definitely "in the wild" and as EuropeanPete said, it is a zero sum game for some benefits. We had a poor experience when checking in at the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome about a year ago. While one of the Guest Relations managers was explaining to us that no Glob upgrade beyond the standard king room we booked was available, despite availability for upgraded rooms and the standard Park Suite showing online, the "gentleman" checking in next to us began loudly complaining about his room. After about 5 minutes of yelling at the front desk agent and manager, he was given an Executive Suite. As the Guest Relations manager was walking away, I was tempted to ask if that was the preferred way to get an upgrade.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
Strong sense of self-entitlement is not Hyatt-limited. You'll bump into it all over these forums, and out in the real world, too.

Personally, I'd like to see more respect for the written T&Cs on both sides. As a UA and Marriott elite, I've become pretty accustomed to battling just to obtain published benefits.
Originally Posted by skj
While one of the Guest Relations managers was explaining to us that no Glob upgrade beyond the standard king room we booked was available, despite availability for upgraded rooms and the standard Park Suite showing online, the "gentleman" checking in next to us began loudly complaining about his room. After about 5 minutes of yelling at the front desk agent and manager, he was given an Executive Suite.
So curious which you find more objectionable - the guest bullying his way into a better room or the hotel improperly denying you an upgrade. Unfortunately, the latter behavior tends to lead to the former.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 3:07 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
So curious which you find more objectionable - the guest bullying his way into a better room or the hotel improperly denying you an upgrade. Unfortunately, the latter behavior tends to lead to the former.
While I wasn't happy with the lack of an upgrade (as I've noted on the property's review thread), what I found the most objectionable was the property rewarding the behavior we observed. This undoubtedly assures it will continue to happen.
computerguy, solewalker and Thysk like this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 3:28 pm

Yeah I despise DYKWIA behavior but some of what you talk about is nonsense. I would counter with the following:

"We see it all the time... hotels trying to get (in my opinion, scam) the customer out of *giving* them what is actually included in the WOH Terms.

Examples include:
1. Not upgrading to suites without a fight when occupancy is low, requiring a customer to pull up the app at check in to prove otherwise.
2. Charging for tips and/or not providing items during breakfast even if it what is given does not meet the terms of the program. "You are not entitled to the gratuity being included in the WOH breakfast."
3. Blocking out awards, forcing extra long minimum stays to be able to book awards, opting out of DSU, calling themselves a resort, charging ludicrous fees to bypass the Globalist fee waivers by calling them different names. "I'd really like a suite for my upcoming stay even though you don't accept TSUs and/or there's none available..so I am going to bug you because you have no legitimate reason to not accept DSU or are lying about not having space right now."

1. Ignoring the terms of the program so the customer gives in to the rejection of their benefits because they don't want to fight.
2. Arguing when challenged about it and/or finally giving in and then acting like they are doing a favor/exception for the customer as opposed to honoring the terms..
bbbb and Thysk like this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by antonius66
Yeah I despise DYKWIA behavior but some of what you talk about is nonsense. I would counter with the following:

"We see it all the time... hotels trying to get (in my opinion, scam) the customer out of *giving* them what is actually included in the WOH Terms.

Examples include:
1. Not upgrading to suites without a fight when occupancy is low, requiring a customer to pull up the app at check in to prove otherwise.
2. Charging for tips and/or not providing items during breakfast even if it what is given does not meet the terms of the program. "You are not entitled to the gratuity being included in the WOH breakfast."
3. Blocking out awards, forcing extra long minimum stays to be able to book awards, opting out of DSU, calling themselves a resort, charging ludicrous fees to bypass the Globalist fee waivers by calling them different names. "I'd really like a suite for my upcoming stay even though you don't accept TSUs and/or there's none available..so I am going to bug you because you have no legitimate reason to not accept DSU or are lying about not having space right now."

1. Ignoring the terms of the program so the customer gives in to the rejection of their benefits because they don't want to fight.
2. Arguing when challenged about it and/or finally giving in and then acting like they are doing a favor/exception for the customer as opposed to honoring the terms..
Odd how literally NONE of that has happened to me in hundreds of nights. Not saying it doesn’t happen - guess I’ve just been lucky!
Old Jul 18, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by martinplas
I couldn’t disagree more. Prior to any stay I do several things to increase my upgrade chances including:
1) asking my concierge for assistance
2) sending a personal email to guest service rep at the property introducing myself and requesting additional upgrade if available
3) sending a personal email to the GM also requesting additional upgrade to a premium suite if available

I have found in most instances the property and its staff to be happy to assist and glad I reached out. This is what continues to endear me to Hyatt. I’m always made to feel special and welcome with very few exceptions.
For me I always travel with my SO and our little one so extra space as a Globalist is a must.

We always check inventory prior to our stay to manage expectations for upgrades.

Prior to staying at Full Service Properties (HR, HC, Andaz, PH etc.) we almost always reach out via email to introduce ourselves. Typically just a basic we are looking forward to our stay email gets us an upgrade to a standard suite if one is available.

We typically email about 3 days ahead to give properties time to sell inventory and that’s a good window.

It starts your stay on a good note and introduced you to the property’s management. Actually this is something that causes us to go out of our way to return to a specific property, is their management being proactive and engaging with us. Because of a fantastic stay earlier this year we’ll be returning to a specific property multiple times in 2020 and onwards spending thousands there.

Originally Posted by skj
The DYKWIA are definitely "in the wild" and as EuropeanPete said, it is a zero sum game for some benefits. We had a poor experience when checking in at the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome about a year ago. While one of the Guest Relations managers was explaining to us that no Glob upgrade beyond the standard king room we booked was available, despite availability for upgraded rooms and the standard Park Suite showing online, the "gentleman" checking in next to us began loudly complaining about his room. After about 5 minutes of yelling at the front desk agent and manager, he was given an Executive Suite. As the Guest Relations manager was walking away, I was tempted to ask if that was the preferred way to get an upgrade.
While I don’t agree with yelling loudly or berating a staff member, I also disagree with the property denying a Globalist upgrade.

Honestly asking, what is the best thing to do in such a situation? Just suck it up and accept the denial of published benefits?

Had that happened to me where several room type upgrades within the published range were available I would’ve likely reached out to my Concierge. But if the website/app showed no upgrades available there’s not much you could do.

Also, this situation is the exact reason I prefer to reach out ahead of time as you’re significantly more likely to be upgraded.

Originally Posted by antonius66

Examples include:

I definitely agree with you on several points.

As far as upgrades a lot of times I’ve seen/heard/read front desk agents just don’t have much power in terms of upgrades which leads to no upgrade if not done prior to arrival.

Things like gratuity and certain items are hard as well because it doesn’t always show on the receipt, or properties will insist gratuity isn’t included. I definitely wouldn’t over order though, I typically order a meal plus a drink per person.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
I think there's also a mentality while some people feel proud getting things for free and if they don't they think "it doesn't hurt to ask/try"....and then there's the DYKWIA folks....
Maui4me1, Thysk and txhyattlvr like this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:22 pm

I personally stick to the benefits. I am happy when I get more and the properties that do, get more of my business or more favorable reviews...obviously they do that because they know it is often worth more to them. Giving away things like empty suites (worthless to them) or more breakfast items (minimal) generates more value in the long run, at least as they are concerned. I sometimes ask for a nicer suite or such if possible, but never demand and never press. More often than not, I end up pressing over my standard benefits, which I DETEST doing mainly because it makes me feel like a DYKWIA.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Funny that Park Hyatt Vendome always comes up in these threads. Makes me specifically intend to never stay there. I hate the fight for what I'm entitled to based on my loyalty - I'd rather just avoid it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.