Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Quirk Hotel Charlottesville, VA - left Hyatt 3/31/2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quirk Hotel Charlottesville, VA - left Hyatt 3/31/2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2021, 5:47 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I’m just wrapping up another three night stay at this property booked with bcosintero. Altogether since COVID started my family has stayed about 35 nights here and gotten to know it very well. With my wife and I vaccinated now and traveling further afield, I doubt we’ll be staying here as much going forward but I thought I’d add on one more post with some detailed food information.

The hotel definitely seems to be turning a page; when we started coming here last summer it was dead, this weekend is the most lively I’ve ever seen it. There are many new staff members coming onboard and being trained this weekend, and some of the staff we know told me they’re sold out or nearly sold out for many upcoming weekends between UVA events and weddings. For such a small property (~80 rooms) I’ve been surprised they managed to mostly keep their four food and beverage outlets open during COVID, and business seems to be way up.

The menus are available via QR code and hopefully these links will work:
  • Quirk Cafe (breakfast/lunch)
  • Pink Grouse (dinner, Thu-Sat only for now)
  • Quirk Rooftop (dinner and drinks)
  • The lobby bar also has a bar menu, but I can’t get it to load right now

I added some pictures of our meals from this trip below. The menus seem to constantly change, virtually every time we come they’re tweaked. I’m not sure if this is a function of working out the kinks from opening or just having more capacity as they staff up. I don’t know what the hard limit is for breakfast, but for three people we normally get three mains and two or three sides and everything is always taken off. I value the $100 included with Prive as, for the most part, the food we’ve had has been really good.

Personally, I wouldn’t expect upgrades at this property. There is one ADA suite (the only suite confirmable with a tier suite upgrade), one regular suite identical to the ADA suite except the shower, and then a small cottage that I don’t think they upgrade to. There are also 6 rooms with balconies. I’ve found most of the premium rooms are sold out (or blocked) weeks or months in advance for weekend stays. I really like the balcony rooms and typically just book those directly, or with Brandon via Prive to upgrade.

I’d be happy to answer any questions people may have. In the meantime, I’ve added some food pictures below.

Quirk Cafe: Bagel Breakfast Sandwich

Quirk Cafe: my son’s favorite, delicious waffle and eggs

Quirk Cafe: Avocado Toast

Quirk Rooftop: shrimp tacos (the tortillas were a little odd but the filling delicious)

Quirk Rooftop: Delicious housemade fresh pita and eggplant dip; hummus was a little Smokey for our taste

Quirk Rooftop: excellent meat and cheese plate. Thought this was a really good value with high quality ingredients.

Unrelated to the Quirk, but chocolate cream pie from the Pie Chest down the street. Highly recommended!

Last edited by River in Sight; Apr 18, 2021 at 12:23 pm
Old Jan 2, 2022, 7:17 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Just an update here. Not sure if it's because it's winter break, New Years, or what, but service is pretty limited. None of the restaurants operated on the hours specified, which we only learned from showing up places. They don't tell you when you pull up that self-park is available (we learned from a paper in our room that it was for $12, after doing valet for $25).

On prive rate, got $25 per person for breakfast and $100 f&b credit. Pretty hard to spend the money as Pink Grouse was closed for breakfast one day and had to be used at Quirk Cafe which had limited seating, and on Saturday nothing was open between breakfast and 4pm or after 9pm.

​​​Housekeeping walked in on us once, and was hard to get clean towels.

The room and location were nice.

Gym oddly had no towels or cups for water, so bring your own. Reservations required and one guest at a time.

Last edited by Adam1222; Jan 2, 2022 at 10:58 am
Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:13 am

I'd imagine that the combination of winter break and the COVID spike has caused things to seize back up again. I suspect it would be particularly acute in CVille since UVA hospital ends up being a destination for all the rural folks who get sick (they announced over the weekend that they were going back to banning visitation). But to be clear, things in a college town generally shut down over the holidays even absent COVID. Hopefully this too shall pass...
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:05 pm

Some more information about this property that I don't believe has been mentioned yet. We stayed during Memorial Day weekend in 2021.

Self parking is a short walk away on 5th street, in the lot after the train tracks. Self parking was free on award stay as a Globalist; valet was at a discounted ~$12 IIRC. The hotel was sold out that weekend and the lot was quite full. There are potholes particularly near the entrance so low profile tires beware. Here's a link to the location and street view of the lot: https://goo.gl/maps/XaAVbjQsvjotHPrX8

We still managed to get upgraded to a king deluxe room overlooking the courtyard behind the Quirk Cafe. It's a long room in configuration. The sitting bench and table were good for both working and eating takeout at. We had a large bottle of water and a small box of chocolates as a welcome gift. For peak weekends especially in the fall, I wouldn't count on getting any significant upgrade, much less an award stay unless booking well ahead of time.

The property is a local hot spot similar to Richmond, though the noise is contained better as the restaurant isn't right in the lobby. It is substantially busier during the weekends and the cash rate reflects that compared to weekdays. We dined at the Pink Grouse and the rooftop bar. Service can be slow at the Pink Grouse - we had to wait about 15 minutes for our table to be ready despite a reservation. The food was pretty good, but I hesitate to say excellent. The menu was transitioning from a traditional 3-course to tapas style while we were there, so the dish sizing was a confusing mix of tapas-size and entree-size. It can get a little loud in the main dining room with a semi-open kitchen and lack of significant barrier between tables. Dinner at the rooftop bar was delicious and in our opinion, a significantly better value. We loved the shrimp tacos.

The hot breakfast at the cafe was quite good, considerably better compared to our stay at Richmond. We didn't love the pork sausage in the sampler (nothing wrong per se, just not to our taste preference), so we had steak and eggs during the rest of our stay. The hot food is prepped in the Pink Grouse kitchen and walked to the cafe/courtyard. I don't recall being given a limit for breakfast and our usual orders of an entree and a drink for two people were taken care of without question.
River in Sight and comeflywme like this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 7:56 pm

Ughhhh....... Effective March 31, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. local time, [Quirk Hotel Charlottesville will no longer be affiliated with Hyatt or the Destination by Hyatt brand and World of Hyatt members will not be eligible for program benefits when staying at this hotel, including earning and redeeming points and enjoying in-hotel benefits.

Quick Richmond is also leaving.

I loved having this as an option in Charlottesville and will truly miss this hotel. I assume they figure they can do just fine without Hyatt.
beltway likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by River in Sight
Ughhhh....... Effective March 31, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. local time, [Quirk Hotel Charlottesville will no longer be affiliated with Hyatt or the Destination by Hyatt brand and World of Hyatt members will not be eligible for program benefits when staying at this hotel, including earning and redeeming points and enjoying in-hotel benefits.

Quick Richmond is also leaving.

I loved having this as an option in Charlottesville and will truly miss this hotel. I assume they figure they can do just fine without Hyatt.
Sigh... this is not good news. Our son will be attending UVA in the fall and the Quirk was going to be my go-to hotel. Already have points bookings for a few visits. I guess he'll need to transfer to another school!
Old Feb 11, 2022, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Any idea whether already confirmed point/certs reservations will still be honored after March?

-FlyerBeek
Old Feb 11, 2022, 7:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Any idea whether already confirmed point/certs reservations will still be honored after March?

-FlyerBeek
They will not be. Only cash reservations.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek

-FlyerBeek
I have a few points stays booked for the fall... overnight, I got this email from Hyatt (they incorrectly said Richmond, while my stays are in C'ville):

We need to speak with you regarding your reservation(s) at Quirk Hotel Richmond. Please provide the best time and phone number you can be reached at. If you would prefer to contact our office at your convenience, we are available from 6:00am CST to 2:00am CST seven days a week by phone at 888-848-9496 (1-402-952-1131).

We look forward to speaking with you soon.

We value your membership and we look forward to your future stays at Hyatt.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 5:06 pm

[hu let the jole out]

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 9:06 pm
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
. For parking, there is only valet service at $25/day...
I have been parking on the street ever since they started charging for the lot - maybe it's just luck but I've never had trouble finding a spot right by the hotel, often directly across the street, closer than the lot is anyway. I too am planning one last fling here early March.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:21 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Does anyone know if the Richmond property is leaving as well? I had a booking for June.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:26 pm

..^..

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 9:04 pm
Old Feb 19, 2022, 3:08 pm

[j hole]
River in Sight likes this.

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 9:04 pm
Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:04 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I was actually headed to CVille to see some friends the first week of April and when I saw this hotel right downtown (I think this place was a shell for years before they finally completed it) I thought I'd move the stay up a week and get there while it's still Hyatt (plus burn some Cat 4 certs).

I typically stay at the CY or Draftsman by University Hospital, but this would be more convenient to my friends' house. Should I move my dates up for one last hurrah at this place?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.