Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Switching from Marriott to Hyatt - want a Hyatt credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching from Marriott to Hyatt - want a Hyatt credit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:08 pm
app
Original Poster

Lightbulb Switching from Marriott to Hyatt - want a Hyatt credit card

Long story short, I hit Lifetime Platinum with Marriott this year (WOOHOO!). After being severely Bonvoyed too many times over, I am ready to switch to Hyatt to start pursuing Lifetime Globalist with them

As I get started, I want to get a Hyatt credit card. Is there a good time of year to do so? Do the sign-up bonuses peak at any point? What are the best offers and cards?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:10 pm

The bonuses go up by about 10k every once in awhile but I don't know based on calendar date when that happens.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by app
Long story short, I hit Lifetime Platinum with Marriott this year (WOOHOO!). After being severely Bonvoyed too many times over, I am ready to switch to Hyatt to start pursuing Lifetime Globalist with them

As I get started, I want to get a Hyatt credit card. Is there a good time of year to do so? Do the sign-up bonuses peak at any point? What are the best offers and cards?
There’s currently 2 offers.

1) $200 + a Category 1-7 Certificate which can be worth $1,500+.

2) 50k Points

Occasionally there’s a 60k Points Offer or an offer for (2) Category 1-7 Certificates but neither is guaranteed.

Theres been speculation that a new Premium Hyatt card will be introduced this year which would likely have an increased bonus.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:33 pm
app
Original Poster

Great, thanks. Is it just the Hyatt Visa out there - the one card?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note that credit card bonuses do not count for lifetime status, only base points.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by app
Great, thanks. Is it just the Hyatt Visa out there - the one card?
There is/was a Hyatt credit card, but it's no longer open to new applicants, just the World of Hyatt CC. You'll definitely want it
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:00 pm

get the World of Hyatt card now. it is offering a welcome bonus of 50,000 points
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:49 am
app
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zack14
get the World of Hyatt card now. it is offering a welcome bonus of 50,000 points
But which is the better offer - $200 statement credit + level 1-7 one night; or the 50K points?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by app
But which is the better offer - $200 statement credit + level 1-7 one night; or the 50K points?
50k imo
creativeguess1 and Brendan like this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by app
50k almost assuredly. Staying at a level 7 would cost 30k points (although more if peak time once peak pricing begins) and 20k points is worth well over $200. Once factoring the flexibility of points the second option will go much further for most hypothetical uses.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Lifetime Globalist requires spending $200k on pre-tax room rates. The credit card won't help you at all with this...
Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Lifetime Globalist requires spending $200k on pre-tax room rates. The credit card won't help you at all with this...
2 minor quibbles here. The $200K will include eligible incidental spend, not just room rates. Also, the credit card won't do anything to get you to lifetime Globalist but if you're going to spend $200K at Hyatt, you may as well get the most rewards possible for that spend, which is exactly what the credit card does.
ZBigFam and Brendan like this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WantOnlinePoker
2 minor quibbles here. The $200K will include eligible incidental spend, not just room rates. Also, the credit card won't do anything to get you to lifetime Globalist but if you're going to spend $200K at Hyatt, you may as well get the most rewards possible for that spend, which is exactly what the credit card does.
Any decent credit card gives you rewards for spending on it. You could get a cashback card, a air miles card, or simply be churning cards for signup bonuses that are far more valuable than a few Hyatt points per $.

It's rather short-sighted to only stay at hotels based on the co-branded credit card... It's also rather silly to immediately dump a hotel chain once you've achieved lifetime status, but that's the OP's problem...
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:16 am
app
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WantOnlinePoker
Also, the credit card won't do anything to get you to lifetime Globalist but if you're going to spend $200K at Hyatt, you may as well get the most rewards possible for that spend, which is exactly what the credit card does.
This last part is why I care about the card.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:17 am
app
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
It's also rather silly to immediately dump a hotel chain once you've achieved lifetime status, but that's the OP's problem...
how is it silly? i travel a ton for work - and I earn lifetime statuses for personal use. i am going to move all my business spend to Hyatt to pursue lifetime with them. that way, i can have 2 lifetime statuses in my pocket on the personal side.
ZBigFam and hp12c like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.