Community
Wiki Posts
Search

category 6 or 7 hotel, Spain

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
category 6 or 7 hotel, Spain

I have a category 1--7 award expiring the middle of March, and would love to use it and add perhaps one paid night.. Checking the cat.6- 7 hotels for my nights, these are available:
Nobu Marbella
Park Hyatt Mallarca
Urso Hotel and Spa
Gran Hotel Sonnet
San Francis Hotel Singular
I'll be coming off a one week walking trip elsewhere, so my clothing will be almost all casual--I would prefer not to rent a car, and dont mind public transportation or not exorbitant taxi etc. I am willing to fly from Madrid. I've been looking at these and some just wont fit for this senior..But would appreciate any suggestions. Beach not important,but would like beauty, good service, food and preferably no attitude. Thanks! Pat. (I guess if theres any outstanding 5--6 category that work well for me that would be great too. )

Last edited by retirementdreams; Jan 29, 2020 at 5:05 pm
Old Jan 29, 2020, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I just know the Park Hyatt Mallorca - great hotel, car is needed in my opinion unless you don't want to leave the hotel grounds.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
I just know the Park Hyatt Mallorca - great hotel, car is needed in my opinion unless you don't want to leave the hotel grounds.
Car needed full stop, unless you want to pay 100+ euros each way for a taxi, which for a one-night certificate stay is silly IMO.

It's also worth the OP double-checking whether the certificate can actually be used at SLS hotels. There is certainly no reason why it shouldn't AFAIK, but every time I tried to apply a certificate to SLS stays across Asia, I would get errors. I never bothered to follow up with my Concierge though since these would have been speculative bookings.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:36 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Car needed full stop, unless you want to pay 100+ euros each way for a taxi, which for a one-night certificate stay is silly IMO.

It's also worth the OP double-checking whether the certificate can actually be used at SLS hotels. There is certainly no reason why it shouldn't AFAIK, but every time I tried to apply a certificate to SLS stays across Asia, I would get errors. I never bothered to follow up with my Concierge though since these would have been speculative bookings.
According to the T&Cs, you should be able to use a Cat 1-7 award at a category 6 or 7 SLH property.

"Category 1-4 & Category 1-7 Free Night Awards. Free Night Awards designated as redeemable at a Category 1-4 or Category 1-7 hotel or resort may be redeemed at Participating SLH Properties that meet the redemption requirements for the applicable award. Free Night Awards redeemable at a Category 1-4 hotel or resort are those described in Appendix B to the Program Terms and as otherwise provided by the Program or Hyatt (such as anniversary Free Night Awards issued in connection with the Hyatt Credit Card). Free Night Awards redeemable at a Category 1-7 hotel or resort are those described in Appendix B to the Program Terms and as otherwise provided by the Program or Hyatt (such as Category 1-7 Free Night Awards issued in connection with the Hyatt Credit Card). Please note that some Participating SLH Properties may be excluded from the categorization system applied to Hyatt hotels and resorts under the Program or may be classified in a category other than 1-4 or 1-7."
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skj
According to the T&Cs, you should be able to use a Cat 1-7 award at a category 6 or 7 SLH property.

"Category 1-4 & Category 1-7 Free Night Awards. Free Night Awards designated as redeemable at a Category 1-4 or Category 1-7 hotel or resort may be redeemed at Participating SLH Properties that meet the redemption requirements for the applicable award. Free Night Awards redeemable at a Category 1-4 hotel or resort are those described in Appendix B to the Program Terms and as otherwise provided by the Program or Hyatt (such as anniversary Free Night Awards issued in connection with the Hyatt Credit Card). Free Night Awards redeemable at a Category 1-7 hotel or resort are those described in Appendix B to the Program Terms and as otherwise provided by the Program or Hyatt (such as Category 1-7 Free Night Awards issued in connection with the Hyatt Credit Card). Please note that some Participating SLH Properties may be excluded from the categorization system applied to Hyatt hotels and resorts under the Program or may be classified in a category other than 1-4 or 1-7."
T&Cs say many things. But then later some things aren't possible - for example, hotels setting minimum stay requirements so that certificates can't be used, at least without your Concierge performing acrobatics on a longer stay.

I was just providing a data point which suggested that using a certificate wasn't working - at least online - for one night stays at a number of SLH hotels I checked.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
Thanks all... I was afraid it was going to be difficult to work this out!! I'd probably pay for a 2nd night at the hotel, but I was afraid most of these were going to be difficult to get to without a car. back to plan Q or something like that...
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by retirementdreams
Thanks all... I was afraid it was going to be difficult to work this out!! I'd probably pay for a 2nd night at the hotel, but I was afraid most of these were going to be difficult to get to without a car. back to plan Q or something like that...
Sometimes using your certificate wherever is most convenient / replaces an expensive paid stay is far better than going out of your way to find something that happens to be Category 6 or 7.

In Feb/March I'd much rather be visiting museums in a city such as Madrid or London than a cold beach resort, even if that means using the cert at a Cat 5...
escape4 and 59Impala like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Craigthemiff...I agree with you... but decided to use it at the Park Hyatt Mallorca--I've never been there, and decided I would rather be somewhere different. I"m spending several days in Madrid already, and I've been to Spain a few times. I'll spend 2 nights at the Park Hyatt, (2nd night points and cash)... and then a few nights in Palmas... which I have yet to decide where to stay. would like something reasonably inexpensive. I am debating about renting a car for a few days to see the rest of the island.. Thank you for your comments.

And everyone else!!

RD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.