Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt card points and nights went to last year?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Kettel, WN Companion Pass

Hey all, my Chase Hyatt Visa closes on the 18th of every month. I’d already made Globalist for this 2020 calendar year, so I saved a bunch of heavy spending for after December 18th. In years past on both their Hyatt and Southwest cards, charges occurring after the statement date have counted towards the following year given the next statement date would be in January.

My statement just closed and I received the huge batch of Hyatt points for the spend. However, it appears the two bonus room nights per $5k spend were treated as 2019 nights because I have 20+ bonus nights all showing a date of December 31 and received two emails for having passed 90 and 100 nights “this year”.

I didn’t need the points, so this is going to cost me dearly if all that spend and the associated transaction fees get attributed to 2019 nights... ugh. Any thoughts? Figured better to ask and have a game plan before calling them.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pdisme
................However, it appears the two bonus room nights per $5k spend were treated as 2019 nights because I have 20+ bonus nights all showing a date of December 31 and received two emails for having passed 90 and 100 nights “this year”.........
Night credit is based on posting date, not statement date. It worked as intended.

See Wiki:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...ed-2018-a.html
Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Kettel, WN Companion Pass
Yikes I see what you mean now. Their Southwest card doesn’t work that way so I must have incorrectly remembered the Hyatt card doing that in years past. Well that cost me significantly; just paid couple grand for points I didn’t need by doing those charges in 2019.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pdisme
Yikes I see what you mean now. Their Southwest card doesn’t work that way so I must have incorrectly remembered the Hyatt card doing that in years past. Well that cost me significantly; just paid couple grand for points I didn’t need by doing those charges in 2019.
Year end spend is definitely tricky. With Hyatt any purchase made on or after 12/30 counts towards the new year while any purchase made on or before 12/29 counts for last year. As far as Southwest you are correct they count purchases made after the statement date towards the next year for December purchasing.

However, there are many people who complete their sign up bonus spend after their December statement and that spend plus the sign up bonus get credited before 12/31 completely screwing over any chances at the Companion Pass.

So pretty much if that spend is really needed to count to the next year do it after 12/30. Chase takes 2 days to have a transaction actually post to your account which makes not actually posted until 1/1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.