Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Very nice hotel that needs a normal breakfast!

I just wrapped up a night here - I really enjoyed the hard product of the room, but service and the breakfast situation have significant room for improvement.

At check-in, the single agent was convinced I was checking out despite me correcting them multiple times. I felt like I was going crazy. They were also very adamant that I was checking in too early, which I wasn't. It was 11:30 AM, and despite the lecturing, they found me a Junior Suite that was ready. I had to ask about breakfast - they gave me Butler vouchers and brunch vouchers. Brunch is from 10 AM to 2 PM Saturdays and Sundays. 10 AM is far too late. Apparently, there are coffee and pastries in the lobby starting at 6:30 - didn't look for these.

Let's get this out of the way - it is shameful that a Thompson doesn't have an in-house option for breakfast 7 days a week. In my opinion, 10 AM is far too late a start for breakfast. They need to find a restaurant operator that is willing to serve breakfast. It's not cool or hip to refuse to serve breakfast and you are not cooler than breakfast.

My Junior Suite was quite nice - it's basically a corner room with a seating area. I was on the 3rd floor, so there was little privacy with the surrounding residential buildings and the large windows. Several pieces of furniture were not adjusted correctly to the ground and were very wobbly. The couch was nice. The bed was great - very comfortable (although, the covers were a bit less thick than some other Thompsons). The bathroom had a nice decor. The shower had nice pressure but was too big for the amount of water that came out of the single head. I liked the baseball-esque styling.

Besides the odd check-in experience, service was good. Engineering came to fix the TV very quickly. No issue with 4 PM late checkout.

I tried the restaurant brunch. Service was friendly, but leisurely. My server came back and told me to order a pastry to maximize my Globalist voucher while I waited for my entree. The chocolate croissant was good. The ricotta pancakes were fine - way too hot in temperature and overly rich. The side of bacon was cut way too thick for my liking. I wish restaurants would keep things simpler and not try to be so "culinary." This seems to be an issue at many Thompsons (except for the delicious breakfast with normal pancakes I had at the Thompson Central Park). It took them a long time to find cow's milk for me, rather than oat milk or almond milk. On the upside, there was no check for me to sign with the voucher.

I really liked the location - some great nearby restaurants and nice walking distance to the Capitol.

Overall, I enjoyed the room quality and location, but the property really needs to resolve the breakfast issue.

dpb132 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Like the Thompson Hollywood, the Thompson DC doesn't post correctly on the WOH card - only 1 point vs. 4 points per dollar. I had to call Chase to resolve this issue.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 1:12 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Like the Thompson Hollywood, the Thompson DC doesn't post correctly on the WOH card - only 1 point vs. 4 points per dollar. I had to call Chase to resolve this issue.
That is frustrating, last time I stayed they told me they had re coded it properly... guess that is not the case.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:35 pm

Didn't stay at the hotel, but walked by the hotel. The area of Navy Yard is really nice and the metro station is steps away. Considering staying here next time.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 4:15 pm

I just noticed that the Thompson Suite is considered a standard suite for upgrade purposes. I don't believe that was previously the case since I was only ever upgraded into junior suites. Good news for Globalists!
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I had a 3 night stay recently. The hotel is a short walk from the Navy Yard metro station on the green line. There is usually an Uber driver nearby within 5-10 minutes away, although I had one driver who was literally circling nonstop - possibly due to game day side street closures.

Checked in at 4pm. The Front desk personnel was professional, and apologetic that they cannot get me into a suite as a Globalist, even if I waited. Settled for a Deluxe room, which was big enough and comfortable with a sitting area. Bottled water was offered, which one can get more if needed. Globalist breakfast is fulfilled via Butler vouchers, and sadly no more brunch coupons for Maialino Mare.

The small desk nook was fine for 1 laptop plus mouse pad, where I took my Zoom calls during the day. There is a Tivoli alarm clock, along with plenty of plugs available. The mini bar fridge is empty, although all items are available for purchase from the front desk. There is a barcode for room service, but it's only available when the restaurant is open (more on that later).

The bathroom amenity is from DS Durga with the Bowmaker scent, which is the same scent they pump into the lobby - woodsy, vetiver, overwhelming after 3 days. Some of you might be concerned about the unlocked bottles in the room, but I am not. What I am concerned about is the mirror in the shower, which it appears to be a thing for boutique hotels (I see you Park Hyatt DC).

The hotel restaurant Maialino Mare and Anchovy Social rooftop bar are the 2 food outlets. Do note that Maialino Mare closes at 8pm on Wednesdays and Thursdays, as I could not even get a nightcap at 9:20pm. Also, their POS is not connected to the hotel, so you can't charge food and beverage charges to the room. Alas, since they are technically not operated by the hotel, that's ground for not earning Hyatt puntos. You do get 10% off if you show your room key.

Anchovy Social is small, but has a view into the National Stadium, which worked out great since I was there, coincidentally, on Opening Day. Lots of outdoor seating, but was tough with the dreary weather. Drinks and wines are in the $15-16 range, the pizza thingy was pretty good. Kitchen opens until 10pm, unlike their sister restaurant downstairs.

Because the restaurant does not serve breakfast, the hotel provided free coffee, tea, and pastries from 7(?) - 10am, which include a selection of croissants (regular and chocolate), muffins, and coffee cake. The coffee was actually better than expected.

Globalist breakfast from Butler is consisted of 1 item (breakfast sandwich, platter, or just sides) plus 1 standard drink (no fancy green juice). I did not do the pre-order option, and it took 45-60 minutes for delivery when ordering at 8am. The delivery persons hands you the food in a fancy paper bag, with cutlery and sauce packets. I had the smoked salmon with scrambled eggs on a brioche bun, which was pretty good. I had a standard sausage breakfast sandwich the second day, and it was definitely not a handheld item since the eggs were runny - they were delicious, but would've been messy if I tried to pick it up by hand.

(that's the smoked salmon sandwich)

Overall, it was a pleasant stay and served my needs. Oh, also check out Chloe restaurant right around the corner - eclectic menu, great bar program, reasonably priced.
Skink and iluvdoco like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:10 pm

Again, it is not acceptable for a Thompson to not have a restaurant that can serve breakfast. Full stop, end of discussion.
Old May 9, 2022, 6:11 pm

What suite is considered a standard suite for suite upgrade usage? Junior Suite of the Thompson Suite? On the dates I have booked only the junior suite is showing, which is fine for me, but not sure if they allow upgrade cert into that.

never mind - hyatt confirmed only Thompson suites can be used with upgrade certs

Last edited by olouie; May 10, 2022 at 6:43 am
Old May 10, 2022, 7:35 am
iwc

Restaurant was open for breakfast at 7am late last week
Old May 11, 2022, 10:17 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by hp12c
there's an amazing Levantine restaurant around the corner from the hotel - Albi.... They also have superb coffee and pastries in the mornings.
Michelin agrees that it's worth a look - Albi just got a star. "Yellow" (its brunch cafe counter, 8-2 Tue-Sun) definitely has the best breakfast in the area, too.
hp12c likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:07 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iwc
Restaurant was open for breakfast at 7am late last week
Does this include Globalist breakfast? Hoping this saga of no breakfast can finally come to a close.
Old May 13, 2022, 3:35 am
iwc

Originally Posted by ryandc99
Does this include Globalist breakfast? Hoping this saga of no breakfast can finally come to a close.
Yes given certificates for globalist breakfast. Very tasty.
hp12c likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 9:56 pm

Bad news for the Thompson- both Maialino Mare and Anchovy Social are closing

https://dc.eater.com/2020/5/18/21262...navirus-crisis
Old May 13, 2022, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Bad news for the Thompson- both Maialino Mare and Anchovy Social are closing

https://dc.eater.com/2020/5/18/21262...navirus-crisis
Based on the wording of the statement, it sounds like a new restaurant will take its place - "lease transfer". Hopefully, the new operator will be more amenable to providing breakfast.
Old May 14, 2022, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Based on the wording of the statement, it sounds like a new restaurant will take its place - "lease transfer". Hopefully, the new operator will be more amenable to providing breakfast.
The breakfast-less saga continues?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.