Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
I thought Thompson had a two night minimum on Prive rates?
Old Oct 8, 2020, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by TravisMT81
I thought Thompson had a two night minimum on Prive rates?
My 1-night stay went through. Note that it's a $75 property credit, though.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by QuantumMeruit
Delurking to write this from the hotel, finishing up a 1-night Prive stay. The breakfast is very, very disappointing. It's a grab-and-go bag of pastry, fruit and yogurt. I've had better Covid-era breakfasts at a Hyatt Place in NoVa where they had hot breakfast sandwiches available. (Other DC Hyatt Places are offering things like pancakes, if that's your thing.)
Disappointing.

Thanks for the review.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 6:21 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Globalist breakfast is now room service but from Bethesda Bagels. You fill out a sheet with your choices the night before, and they deliver it to your room at 7:30 or 9:30. There were a few options for food - breakfast sandwich on a bagel, a bagel with cream cheese/butter/jam, oatmeal, and maybe a fruit plate. I got the breakfast sandwich. Came up on a property room service tray with coffee, water, and juice as well as a banana and apple. It's actually one of the better COVID-era Globalist breakfasts I've had.

As for location, I think most tourists wouldn't stay here unless you're here for a Nats game or need to be in Navy yard for another reason. I happened to be passing through DC, and it's right off the highway so the location was perfect. I do generally prefer the PH when I'm actually visiting DC as opposed to passing through, but the rate was 2x there and it was more out of the way for me this time.

One thing I do love about the hotel - the mattress is very firm.

Will post photos of the Junior Suite I was proactively upgraded to a bit later.
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 9:43 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Junior suite entrance

Junior suite sitting area

Junior suite bedroom area

Bathroom

Shower
mcgahat likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hp12c
I've noticed that at all of the Thompsons I've stayed at and I also like it. The crisp white sheets (that always seem to be perfectly flat with no creases every day) with the blue embroidered border also seems to be a signature Thompson thing.

I do like how consistent their room furnishings are (incl. the style of the furniture across properties) although Thompsons definition of a "suite" is often just a slightly larger room. To me a suite (or a junior suite) should have a separate sleeping area (or partial separation) and I've noticed that Thompsons rarely have any true separation.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 10:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; AA Platinum Pro; Marriott Platinum
I'm a Globalist doing a staycation in a few weeks at the Thompson. Booked a junior suite on a Privé rate. Interestingly, my travel advisor says the hotel is forecasting high occupancy during the Sunday and Monday night I'm at the hotel. D.C. is a ghost town, but will report back if I get upgraded to a true suite.

Hope to do a similar report like hp12c.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 5:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by DCADavis
I'm a Globalist doing a staycation in a few weeks at the Thompson. Booked a junior suite on a Privé rate. Interestingly, my travel advisor says the hotel is forecasting high occupancy during the Sunday and Monday night I'm at the hotel. D.C. is a ghost town, but will report back if I get upgraded to a true suite.

Hope to do a similar report like hp12c.
I've considered doing a staycation there as well... have seen basic room rates around $130.

In a few weeks we'll be into spring break & cherry blossom tourism, which I imagine will be pretty solid this year, so it wouldn't surprise me if the hotel is in fact pretty full by then.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 8:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; AA Platinum Pro; Marriott Platinum
Just completed my one-night stay here.

Originally booked a Jr. Suite on a Privé rate and was upgraded to Thompson Suite II on the 4th floor once I check-in. Since I'm local, I called and asked if I had been pre-upgraded. At the time I wasn't, but in talking to the front desk manager, he told they would have a suite ready when I checked-in at 4:00 PM.

I arrived and parked with the valet. Price per night is $55. The front desk manager from earlier in the day, was the person checking me in. He thanked me for my loyalty as a Globalist - wasn't effusive, but super sincere. Opted for the 4:00 PM check-out. As others have mentioned, breakfast is Bethesda Bagels. Wife and I received order forms to place our order. In addition to bagels and breakfast sandwiches, there are some fruit and yogurt options too. We scheduled delivery for 9:00 a.m.

Took the smart elevators up to floor 4. Suite was one of the better suites I've stayed in the last year (compared to Belmond CHS, The Salamander and Four Seasons Baltimore). Room still felt new and there was no wear and tear yet. The suite was about 1000 Sq. ft., contained two full bathrooms, and had a corner balcony. We arrived to a decent bottle of red and a note thanking us for our loyalty. Bed was perfect - Thompson is always a little less firm than some of the other Hyatt brands IMO. If I have any complaints, wished there was a double vanity in the master bathroom and it was a little bigger. But I took the guest bathroom, so the wife and I have plenty of space. Loved that the T.V. was hidden in a console with a remote to raise and lower it.

Re: Breakfast, our Bethesda Bagels arrived on a tray at 9:00 a.m. sharp. We screwed up the order, and got a few extra bagels in addition to coffee, Tropicana OJ and Nantucket Nectar cranberry juice. I do appreciate this accommodation during COVID. So many properties are using this opportunity to skimp on service. It likely cost the hotel $30, but we were super satisfied.

We checked-out around 3:30 to take the 20-minute drive home. Didn't have an opportunity to use the $75 Privé credit before leaving, but could have bought Woodford Reserve, tequila, some fresh food items, etc., from the sundry shop. Because it was my birthday, the same manager from the day before did let me apply the credit to parking (he seemed to appreciate I was just trying to grab stuff on the way out). I got the sense they don't comp parking often.

Made sure the destination fee was refunded before I left. Pretty solid stay. Service and hard products were excellent. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
Hockeymom2219 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I popped in here the other night to meet a friend for a drink in the lobby. It's a 7-minute scooter ride from my house but this was the first time I've actually had a reason to pop in. First impression was that it looks nice and new. Friend has been there in a junior suite for a few weeks (paid for by insurance, not a bad setup!) and has generally enjoyed it.

I was surprised to see the lobby bar area packed full of people when I arrived a little after 10 p.m., turns out it was a wedding party from Idaho or Iowa or some place; evidently they'd gotten sufficiently out of control that the hotel shut the bar down (it was otherwise supposed to be open until 12), despite having told my friend it would be open until 12, but they comped us a bottle of good red (Goldeneye pinot noir, by Duckhorn) and brought us some glasses so we could sit and chat in a quiet part of the lobby. Great service recovery and I wasn't even staying there, lol.

Breakfast is still the bagel thing, but once the restaurant is back open I'll definitely be by for a staycation.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 5:04 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I’ll be waiting for the mean Idahohan TripAdvisor review about how they were trying to get super drunk and got shutdown early. “WE’RE NEVER GETTING MARRIED THERE AGAIN!”
Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:16 pm

I do generally prefer the PH when I'm actually visiting DC as opposed to passing through, but the rate was 2x there and it was more out of the way for me this time.

This comment is intriguing as I prefer the PH DC as well (and the bed to the point where I want to buy the specific mattress when I need to replace). As firm as the PH DC, or firmer?
Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:20 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by tearex
This comment is intriguing as I prefer the PH DC as well (and the bed to the point where I want to buy the specific mattress when I need to replace). As firm as the PH DC, or firmer?
Definitely firmer than PH DC. In fact, I was at the PH 1.5 weeks ago and found the mattress to be soft and a bit saggy, which isn’t what I had remembered (Edit: my wife says she didn't have a problem with PH's mattress this last time).

Anyhow, Thompson’s mattress is excellent!
tearex likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:23 pm

Definitely firmer than PH DC. In fact, I was at the PH 1.5 weeks ago and found the mattress to be soft and a bit saggy, which isn’t what I had remembered.

Anyhow, Thompson’s mattress is excellent!
Oh fantastic - I'll have to try and divert a stay there next time I'm passing through. Still need to check Thompson off as a brand anyways.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:28 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by tearex
Oh fantastic - I'll have to try and divert a stay there next time I'm passing through. Still need to check Thompson off as a brand anyways.
I'd say it's definitely worth a try. Also, there's an amazing Levantine restaurant around the corner from the hotel - Albi. Incredible food, awesome cocktails and wine list, and I found the staff to be incredibly warm and welcoming. They also have superb coffee and pastries in the mornings.
platbrownguy and tearex like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.