Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Dining, Spa & More awards - Better Valuation starting Jan 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Given the new chart here:

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...tml#dining-spa

I could see myself redeeming 65,000 points for $1,000 credit when I'm feeling overloaded with points. But I have a few questions that I can't seem to answer in the FAQ:

1 - Does this spend count as base spend and earn points? If I redeem 65k points for $1,000 credit, does that count as $1,000 of Hyatt spend for purposes of earning points, elite qualification, and lifetime status? If there's a current bonus going on, would this 'spend' work for that?

2 - Can anyone see the "& More" info anywhere? I've charged lots of things to my room in random places - ski rentals are a big dollar item, for example. Can I use this credit on that?

If anyone has redeemed points previously and has answers to these questions, I would really appreciate the info.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

BTW, I found an old thread, but it's pretty dated and doesn't really touch on these issues. It's here:

Points Earning / Redemption for Dining / Spa - Locations now available
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
And this is why they ran the gift card promo

Feeling pretty suckered right now. Bought a $1,000 Gift Card for $900 primarily because I was going to a resort property (Andaz Papagayo) and I know there’s going to be about that much in “Dining, Spa and More” charged.

Well, had I waited I could’ve just redeemed 60k points instead. I could transfer over 60k UR to Hyatt which is $600 cash value or $1,000 at Hyatt for “Dining, Spa, and More”. I’m guessing quite a few people are in this boat.

I definitely would like to know the answers to OP’s questions if the points redemption counts and you do earn based on that I got a horrible deal. If not, then I got a bad deal, but not terrible because at least redeeming a GC you earn points and everything.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Well, had I waited I could’ve just redeemed 60k points instead. I could transfer over 60k UR to Hyatt which is $600 cash value or $1,000 at Hyatt for “Dining, Spa, and More”. I’m guessing quite a few people are in this boat.
You should adjust your UR points value. Cash value is a pretty terrible calculation for them, especially if you are a traveler. TPG has them at 2 cents/point but I'd at least go with 1.5 as that's the redemption for travel, which is what I almost always use them for. At 1.5 you're coming out ahead by buying the gift card and getting the points on your cc.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by projectmaximus
You should adjust your UR points value. Cash value is a pretty terrible calculation for them, especially if you are a traveler. TPG has them at 2 cents/point but I'd at least go with 1.5 as that's the redemption for travel, which is what I almost always use them for. At 1.5 you're coming out ahead by buying the gift card and getting the points on your cc.
Well he said he would've transferred 60k UR points for $1000 in Hyatt credit instead of paying for it, so that would mean he would've got 1.67 cents per point which seems to be above the 1.5 you are suggesting. Seems like a pretty good redemption rate for someone that was planning to spend $1000 in the resort anyways.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just to be clear, a $1000 credit costs 65,000 Hyatt points.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by tkelsay
Well he said he would've transferred 60k UR points for $1000 in Hyatt credit instead of paying for it, so that would mean he would've got 1.67 cents per point which seems to be above the 1.5 you are suggesting. Seems like a pretty good redemption rate for someone that was planning to spend $1000 in the resort anyways.
The $1000 credit was selling for $900 so that's why I said that. But I agree with you. My real point was that valuing 60k UR points at $600, as he said, isn't accurate imo.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
Just to be clear, a $1000 credit costs 65,000 Hyatt points.
Thanks, I just went with what Matt wrote but you're correct. So that tilts the calculus slightly more towards buying the gift card.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:18 pm

The $1000 credit was selling for $900 so that's why I said that. But I agree with you. My real point was that valuing 60k UR points at $600, as he said, isn't accurate imo.
Thanks, I just went with what Matt wrote but you're correct. So that tilts the calculus slightly more towards buying the gift card.
I do manufactured spending as a hobby so I can add in over 100k UR in a month. If I feel like I have a good amount of travel points (airline, Hyatt) then I’ll just cash them out at the cash value, which is why I value them at the base of 1 cent per point because if I don’t transfer them them I cash them out. I recently cashed out 140k UR for $1,400. I know it’s a terrible valuation, but extra money for the holidays helps out and all travel for the next 6 months is already covered. To each their own.

I’m just saying personally that had I known a couple weeks ago that this was coming I would have transferred over 65k (sorry for the confusion above saying 60k) to Hyatt and redeemed them this way for the $1,000 credit which is still ~ $200 better after factoring in the added points from redeeming the GC.

I may be in the 1% of people who would do things that way, but I can truly say that the 65k points for me is a significantly better option than the $900 GC.

Everyone values points their own way, and at one point I looked at friends who cashed out UR for 1cpp as abhorrent and wasteful. But I can understand their POV as well as everyone here who highly values UR because of their flexibility.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I applaud you for just being realistic and taking the cash for the UR points.

I'm always waiting for that amazing redemption option, which basically never comes. I'm sitting on too many points (and not enough cash!).
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200
I do manufactured spending as a hobby so I can add in over 100k UR in a month.
I didn't realize that, but for sure if you have so many points that it's more than you can use that obviously devalues the points for yourself. What you said definitely makes sense. ^
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:00 pm

I didn't realize that, but for sure if you have so many points that it's more than you can use that obviously devalues the points for yourself. What you said definitely makes sense. ^
Thanks! It definitely takes a lot of calculations so none get wasted.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum, WoH Explorist
The updated point values are officially available
https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...-spa-more.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.