FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   10% Discount on Hyatt Gift Card Purchases (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1996778-10-discount-hyatt-gift-card-purchases.html)

TravelStar Nov 24, 2019 10:14 am

10% Discount on Hyatt Gift Card Purchases

Just received this offer. I haven't seen Hyatt selling gift cards at a discount in quite some time!

Receive 10% off the face value when you purchase a Hyatt Gift Card this holiday season from November 29, 2019 through December 2, 2019 and from December 20, 2019 through December 23, 2019. Must use offer code: WINTER19

Maui4me1 Nov 24, 2019 10:39 am

Originally Posted by TravelStar (Post 31771845)
Just received this offer. I haven't seen Hyatt selling gift cards at a discount in quite some time!

Receive 10% off the face value when you purchase a Hyatt Gift Card this holiday season from November 29, 2019 through December 2, 2019 and from December 20, 2019 through December 23, 2019. Must use offer code: WINTER19

Was the offer send via email?

TravelStar Nov 24, 2019 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Maui4me1 (Post 31771912)
Was the offer send via email?

Yes. It was an email I received about an hour ago.

navatwal Nov 24, 2019 4:06 pm

I am considering purchasing, does this purchase process as Hyatt so that I can use my Hyatt credit card for bonus points?

Also is there a cap on the discount

TravelStar Nov 24, 2019 5:19 pm

Here's the offer. No details were included
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...596f117b0e.png

josephstern Nov 24, 2019 5:24 pm

What site does this go to?

On buyatab.com, I don't see a place to enter the offer code.

TravelStar Nov 24, 2019 5:43 pm

It goes to a Buyatab page on the Hyatt website. If you go to the Hyatt homepage, click on "gift cards" near the bottom right of the homepage.

Maybe the offer box comes up on 11/29?

josephstern Nov 24, 2019 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by TravelStar (Post 31773028)
It goes to a Buyatab page on the Hyatt website. If you go to the Hyatt homepage, click on "gift cards" near the bottom right of the homepage.

Maybe the offer box comes up on 11/29?

I guess. Then disappears then comes back.

It's true that I get derailed on any checkout attempt once I see a coupon box, so if you have no active coupons, better to have no box.

TravelStar Nov 24, 2019 7:10 pm

Not sure if I'm tracking with you.....The offer for 10% off is only valid 11/29 to 12/2 and then again from 12/20 to 12/23.

oc2005 Nov 25, 2019 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by navatwal (Post 31772803)
I am considering purchasing, does this purchase process as Hyatt so that I can use my Hyatt credit card for bonus points?

Also is there a cap on the discount

Looking at the gift card FAQs:

Do I receive World Of Hyatt points when I purchase Hyatt Gift cards?

Yes and No. Hyatt Gift Card purchases are not eligible to earn World Of Hyatt points directly from Hyatt, however, when using the World of Hyatt or Hyatt Credit Card from Chase, 1 Bonus Point per $1 spent will be earned.

Is there a minimum amount and/or maximum amount I can put on a Hyatt Gift Card?

Yes. Hyatt Gift Cards have a minimum value of $25 and maximum value of $2000. You cannot buy any more than $10,000 of Hyatt Gift Cards within the same day.

There are no terms for the 10% promo itself, so conceivably you should be able to get $10K per day of gift cards.

LoungeLizardHugo Nov 25, 2019 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by oc2005 (Post 31775599)
Looking at the gift card FAQs:

Yes and No. Hyatt Gift Card purchases are not eligible to earn World Of Hyatt points directly from Hyatt, however, when using the World of Hyatt or Hyatt Credit Card from Chase, 1 Bonus Point per $1 spent will be earned.

Is there a minimum amount and/or maximum amount I can put on a Hyatt Gift Card?

Yes. Hyatt Gift Cards have a minimum value of $25 and maximum value of $2000. You cannot buy any more than $10,000 of Hyatt Gift Cards within the same day.

There are no terms for the 10% promo itself, so conceivably you should be able to get $10K per day of gift cards.

Thanks for doing the legwork on that and posting it! Those of us who did not think to look for the fine print are now the wiser for it ^ :p

How long has it been since a better offer on Hyatt? 20% off a couple years ago? Trying to decide if I want to go whole-hog on $10k...

Onewhoknows Nov 25, 2019 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by oc2005 (Post 31775599)

So i dont really get it. If you get a 10% discount now, but no "payback" for staying and paying ( which i roughly count a 10% discount as a Glob) , where is the deal ?

Maui4me1 Nov 25, 2019 1:58 pm

The last time I bought gift cards from Hyatt I got 4x points on the Hyatt credit card..

Onewhoknows Nov 25, 2019 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Maui4me1 (Post 31775957)
The last time I bought gift cards from Hyatt I got 4x points on the Hyatt credit card..

of course, but as a german... sorry no credit card for us!

TravelStar Nov 25, 2019 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo (Post 31775632)
...How long has it been since a better offer on Hyatt? 20% off a couple years ago?...

I don't EVER remember seeing a 20% discount on Hyatt gift cards directly from Hyatt. I've seen 10% before, but I think it's been several years. Maybe I missed it.
Fairmont does 20% discounts on gift cards a couple of times a year and are offering them for a limited number of hours this Friday. See the AccorHotels Forum if you're interested.

Maui4me1 Nov 25, 2019 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by TravelStar (Post 31776059)
I don't EVER remember seeing a 20% discount on Hyatt gift cards directly from Hyatt. I've seen 10% before, but I think it's been several years. Maybe I missed it.
Fairmont does 20% discounts on gift cards a couple of times a year and are offering them for a limited number of hours this Friday. See the AccorHotels Forum if you're interested.

The 20% was through Costco many years ago.

oc2005 Nov 25, 2019 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Onewhoknows (Post 31775687)
So i dont really get it. If you get a 10% discount now, but no "payback" for staying and paying ( which i roughly count a 10% discount as a Glob) , where is the deal ?

I think what they are saying is you still get your usual points for the stay itself when you use a gift card (and the usual benefits, etc.), but you don't earn those same points when you buy a gift card (so you can't double dip). And it sounds like you may or may not get the Hyatt credit card bonus when you buy the gift card itself, depending on if it codes as Hyatt or as the third party gift card company that runs their program.

escape4 Nov 25, 2019 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Maui4me1 (Post 31775957)

Are you 100% sure? The purchase shows up as "buyatab" so it should earn 1x not 4x. What you say is contradicted by the Q&A as well...

escape4 Nov 25, 2019 5:42 pm

I am assuming those are the gift cards that work in the Americas but not Europe, Middle East, and Asia?

TerryK Nov 25, 2019 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 31776795)
I am assuming those are the gift cards that work in the Americas but not Europe, Middle East, and Asia?

Redeemable at participating Hyatt hotels in North America, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America and South America.
https://www.buyatab.com/custom/hyatt...N_G-G30042958Y

Maui4me1 Nov 25, 2019 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 31776794)
Are you 100% sure? The purchase shows up as "buyatab" so it should earn 1x not 4x. What you say is contradicted by the Q&A as well...

This was some years ago and yes, I am sure.

Mary2e Nov 25, 2019 8:03 pm

The big question is whether they’ve solved the gift card problem with cards being drained.

escape4 Nov 25, 2019 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Maui4me1 (Post 31776865)
This was some years ago and yes, I am sure.

Then I think we should assume that as of this year it's unfortunately no longer 4x, unlike the good ol' days :D

gengar Nov 25, 2019 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Onewhoknows (Post 31775687)

Any Hyatt GC used for payment shows up on the folio as a payment credit just the same as any other form of payment used. Payment credits don't change the listed charge amount or eligible spend.

Matt4200 Nov 26, 2019 2:16 am

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 31777489)
Any Hyatt GC used for payment shows up on the folio as a payment credit just the same as any other form of payment used. Payment credits don't change the listed charge amount or eligible spend.

So to use them you’d have to go to the Front Desk when checking out and ask to use a Hyatt GC as your method of payment for any charges you had billed to your room?

This may be also beneficial to avoid international transaction fees or currency conversion fees at Latin American properties. ;)

gengar Nov 26, 2019 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 31777772)
So to use them you’d have to go to the Front Desk when checking out and ask to use a Hyatt GC as your method of payment for any charges you had billed to your room?

That's how I've used my GCs, yes.

Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 31777772)
This may be also beneficial to avoid international transaction fees or currency conversion fees at Latin American properties. ;)

While these are redeemable throughout North and South America, I'm not sure how foreign properties calculate the FX and whether it is a consumer-friendly rate.

Matt4200 Nov 26, 2019 4:45 am

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 31778001)
While these are redeemable throughout North and South America, I'm not sure how foreign properties calculate the FX and whether it is a consumer-friendly rate.

Since you’re paying with Hyatt’s currency (a GC) wouldn’t it automatically convert to the local currency, the same as if you paid with pesos (Mexico) or colones (Costa Rica)?

Never stayed at a South/Central American hotel before so not sure how things are calculated. From all the menus of a property I have in mind though the prices are listed in USD (Andaz Papagayo) and it makes no mention of conversion, I’m assuming because USD is widely accepted there.

gengar Nov 26, 2019 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 31778015)
Since you’re paying with Hyatt’s currency (a GC) wouldn’t it automatically convert to the local currency, the same as if you paid with pesos (Mexico) or colones (Costa Rica)?

Never stayed at a South/Central American hotel before so not sure how things are calculated. From all the menus of a property I have in mind though the prices are listed in USD (Andaz Papagayo) and it makes no mention of conversion, I’m assuming because USD is widely accepted there.

I don't have any experience with this, but the question is how the hotel handles it and the exchange rate used. If the hotel just processes the GC as if it were a credit card / debit card, then maybe bank rate will be used for exchange and that's likely agreeable for all guests. But if the hotel uses, say, the in-house cash rate, the exchange rate will usually be quite unfavorable.

Costa Rica tends to be an exception since USD is accepted nearly everywhere there. Even official, government entities often accept USD for payment!

stvr Nov 26, 2019 11:46 pm

Does this code as hotels on Citi Prestige or Chase Sapphire?

josephstern Nov 27, 2019 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by stvr (Post 31781242)
Does this code as hotels on Citi Prestige or Chase Sapphire?

Sounds like it doesn't, but I'm hoping we'll figure that out on the first round with some tests, and then we can go big (or not) on the second window based on the results.

leiterk Nov 29, 2019 11:11 am

False promotion?

Did everyone have success getting this? My code doesn't work and I connected with customer support and they say there is no such promotion.

josephstern Nov 29, 2019 11:12 am

I tried a mock order. Worked fine for me. WINTER19 produced a 10% discount.

MarcusBWI Nov 29, 2019 11:57 am

This may be off topic, but how do you actually use these gift cards? When I'm trying to make a hotel reservation, it only gives an option to use a credit card. I don't see any option for gift card payment. And I've confirmed that this hotel is listed in the gift card participating locations.

Am I missing a gift card field somewhere?

JetAway Nov 29, 2019 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by MarcusBWI (Post 31788185)
This may be off topic, but how do you actually use these gift cards? When I'm trying to make a hotel reservation, it only gives an option to use a credit card. I don't see any option for gift card payment. And I've confirmed that this hotel is listed in the gift card participating locations.

Am I missing a gift card field somewhere?

My experience has been you can only use the cards when checking out.

diamond_46 Nov 29, 2019 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by leiterk (Post 31788052)
Did everyone have success getting this? My code doesn't work and I connected with customer support and they say there is no such promotion.

Targeted? Did not get this and it did not work for me.

josephstern Nov 29, 2019 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by diamond_46 (Post 31788254)
Targeted? Did not get this and it did not work for me.

Nope. Not targeted. AFAIK, you can't even log in to that site, so it can't really be targeted.

vivrant Nov 29, 2019 1:38 pm

I tried to make a purchase just now and it does not work. Connected with the chat support and they said there are currently no offers right now. What gives?

Matt4200 Nov 29, 2019 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by vivrant (Post 31788409)
I tried to make a purchase just now and it does not work. Connected with the chat support and they said there are currently no offers right now. What gives?

Not sure what you guys are talking about I went online and tried it right now no issues.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9bcb756bd.jpeg

mg1976 Nov 29, 2019 2:01 pm

You might have tried adding a card with higher than $1,000 value. Try $1,000 or below and see if it works. Might have to make multiple card purchases. When I attempted $2,000, it didn’t recognize the code.

Originally Posted by vivrant (Post 31788409)

vivrant Nov 30, 2019 5:10 am

Originally Posted by mg1976 (Post 31788455)
You might have tried adding a card with higher than $1,000 value. Try $1,000 or below and see if it works. Might have to make multiple card purchases. When I attempted $2,000, it didn’t recognize the code.

this was the problem. I was trying $2000. Just did $1k and it worked fine. Bollocks to their chat customer service for not even being able to point this out.