Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Magnificent Mike Vs. Hilton Garden Inn Riverwalk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

If I’m posting in the wrong place I’m sorry wasn’t sure where to post.

This is for a 3 Night stay in December that Cash rates for both are really low, but I ALWAYS do award stays so this is unusual for me because award stays you’re getting less than 1 cent per point even at HC!

I would be booking using Chase UR (best option for this situation). I am a Hyatt Globalist and a Hilton Gold Member.

Cost:

HC - $80/Night (8k UR I value them at 1cent per point)
HGI (Riverwalk) - $75/Night (7.5k UR)

I know I likely won’t get any benefits with either since I believe booking through Chase is an “ineligible rate”. Considering HC has no lounge it’s not a huge loss.

What are your thoughts?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
FS > LS for me

Locations mostly a wash though HGI closer to the Blue line if taking that from ORD
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If before the 15th, I'd definitely take the double Hyatt point promo over the Hilton one...
Old Oct 30, 2019, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
If before the 15th, I'd definitely take the double Hyatt point promo over the Hilton one...
But I won’t get points from either because I’m booking through Chase Ultimate Rewards Travel Portal. At least that’s what I thought...
Old Oct 30, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Matt4200
But I won’t get points from either because I’m booking through Chase Ultimate Rewards Travel Portal. At least that’s what I thought...
If you can get the same cash price on Hyatt.com you're passing up some Hyatt points (and a 2x promo) in order to burn UR at a penny a point. Hyatt points don't have non-zero value. Those UR points you saved can be transferred to Hyatt. I've burned 5k/8k Hyatt points a night on $300 Hyatt Place rooms in Phoenix during baseball spring training, because I'd rather burn points and get $0.03-0.05 per point instead of $0.01, but in the end it's your call I guess, and if you're militantly "I will never ever EVER spend cash and I have UR in ridiculous amounts", sure.

Personally I'd take what's convenient as a location. I am very "meh" on full service (Hyatt Centric) vs. limited service (Hilton Garden Inn)- I don't use most of what would make a full service "nicer" a lot of the time.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 30, 2019 at 3:44 pm
Old Oct 30, 2019, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
If you can get the same cash price on Hyatt.com you're passing up some Hyatt points (and a 2x promo) in order to burn UR at a penny a point. Hyatt points don't have non-zero value. Those UR points you saved can be transferred to Hyatt. I've burned 5k/8k Hyatt points a night on $300 Hyatt Place rooms in Phoenix during baseball spring training, because I'd rather burn points and get $0.03-0.05 per point instead of $0.01, but in the end it's your call I guess, and if you're militantly "I will never ever EVER spend cash and I have UR in ridiculous amounts", sure.

Personally I'd take what's convenient as a location. I am very "meh" on full service (Hyatt Centric) vs. limited service (Hilton Garden Inn)- I don't use most of what would make a full service "nicer" a lot of the time.
Ah, I think you’ve misunderstood me.

So I am booking via the Ultimate Rewards but I am using points for payment because I have the Chase Sapphire Card getting me a 25% Discount paying in points. I’m paying 8k UR points a night to get the discount and avoid taxes for a total of 24k. If I paid with Hyatt points they want 45k and the price after taxes on Hyatt.con is over $400 after taxes.

i love Hyatt points I have 150k banked and stay almost exclusively at Cat 1/2 properties.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So the cash rate on the Hyatt site is $400 and the cash rate on Chase is $80? But there’s no way to BRG that Hyatt rate into something closer to the $80 cash value in points you’re spending in UR?

That would indeed confuse me that Hyatt’s jacking rates 5x another travel portal... and yes, I’d spend points instead, on whatever was convenient. Though if I could BRG it down some...
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:19 am
Original Poster

So the cash rate on the Hyatt site is $400 and the cash rate on Chase is $80? But there’s no way to BRG that Hyatt rate into something closer to the $80 cash value in points you’re spending in UR?

That would indeed confuse me that Hyatt’s jacking rates 5x another travel portal... and yes, I’d spend points instead, on whatever was convenient. Though if I could BRG it down some...
BRG meaning bring? Sorry not sure of the meaning.

Total shown on Chase paying with points = 24k points total (8k a night).

Total shown on Hyatt.com = $401.98 after about $60 in taxes.

Even with doubled points and the WOH credit card assuming you got the absolute most possible that’d be about 8k points after doubling (I value that at $80). Chase still has another $80 advantage over Hyatt.

Before considering any points earned its a $160 difference. It sucks that taxes are so high in the Windy City it’s about 17% I believe.

The cash rate however is $354 after taxes through Chase Travel. If I was able to get Hyatt to match this and discount it 20% that’s roughly $280 which is $40 more than I’d pay with Chase but with the Double Rewards (and Globalist Breakfast) it may be worth it.

Do you think That they’ll match the Chase Travel Cash price? Honestly. I’ll attach screenshot here if cash price.

And what would be the rewards earned (assuming it’s my 2nd stay to activate the 2x promo) on this stay? (Globalist 30%+ World of Hyatt Base Earnings + World of Hyatt CC Bonus, + 2x Points Promo on $280).
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
If the choice comes down to strictly one vs the other, pick the one closest to whatever sites/businesses/theater/shopping/etc. you are visiting.

I think on the points for spending $280 direct it would be

5 ppd on the base
5 ppd on the 2x
4 ppd with CC
1.5 ppd for Globalist

Plus breakfast at HC.

And as a Globalist if you calculate it to end the year at exactly 70, 80, 90... you get an extra 10000, meaning 1000 per night.

Might look at HP. Triple point promo now and my Hyatt CC is offering $50 back on $300.

Make it a business trip and it’s almost nothing after tax.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Oct 31, 2019 at 12:39 am
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
If the choice comes down to one vs the other, pick the one closest to whatever sites/businesses/theater/shopping/etc. you are visiting.
I think I’ve decided on HC, just trying to get advice on price matching (and seeing how many points would potentially be earned that way). They do price match and Chase Travel is widely available and run by Expedia.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BRG: best rate guarantee.

Book with confidence on hyatt.com

If you find a better rate, we’ll match it—and give you the choice of an additional 20% off or 5,000 World of Hyatt Bonus Points.

Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Not sure they’d match Chase travel though

Anyone have experience with this?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Not sure they’d match Chase travel though

Anyone have experience with this?
There's a thread for that...

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:09 pm

I was curious about this as well (although chase portal for me is almost always more expensive) and this is the only reference I found.

Originally Posted by NYCRachel
Any experience with BRGing a rate that Chase has bookable in their Ultimate Rewards portal? Assume it's considered "membership" but not sure if anyone has any actual experience with it.
Originally Posted by cdancer20
That would most definitely be considered membership. It's not a "public" rate. You have to have the right Chase cards to even access it.
Makes sense to me but not definitive. You might as well give it a try on your own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.