Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Tucson/Central REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 6, 19, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold

This is a new property, having just opened August 2019, and I think mine is the first post. Starting a review thread here and will leave it with the moderators to adjust as needed.

This is the second Hyatt Place in Tucson, the other one being an old Amerisuites property by the airport. This is a renovated Hampton Inn which, as its name implies, is much more centrally located, just off I-10 at the Grant Rd exit. It's less than a 10-minute drive to downtown or the UA even at rush hour.

First the good:

- The hard product of the renovation is pretty solid (although some elements, like the ancient elevators, weren't redone). The rooms are small but well-designed, with a minimalist look; I spent a month here on a work assignment in town and had no problem storing everything I needed in the room. Full shower (no tub). The window A/C unit is, like all window A/C units, noisy, but it cooled the room down well even on 100-degree days.
- Wifi is reliable and fast.
- Breakfast spread is up to the new HP standard, with a reasonable variety of items rotated in throughout the week.
- Service is friendly across the board.

Now the bad:

- The neighborhood is terrible. The property shares a parking lot with a run-down, non-chain hotel with a whole host of unsavory long-term residents. Across the parking lot is a Circle K with what appears to be its own resident homeless population. The property adjoins the Santa Cruz river trail, which is a source for additional pedestrian transient traffic. More than once I was panhandled outside the hotel and I also observed several drug deals taking place on the far side of the Circle K. No restaurants nicer than a Waffle House and IHOP are available within immediate walking distance, and frankly I wouldn't recommend walking in the neighborhood anyway.
- They have a structural issue with the plumbing in the building, and the entire first floor smells of sewage. The smell comes and goes but it did persist throughout the entire month of my stay. The GM was candid in saying they have tried many fixes, but at the time I checked out none had taken hold. If you are sensitive to odors it could be a huge problem.

If you are passing through town, or on a short-term stay and won't be at the hotel except to sleep and eat breakfast, it works. But I would never do another long-term stay here.
markko likes this.
Old Oct 25, 20, 11:57 pm

I'm here now. I can tell you the neighborhood hasn't improved. A bit nervous about my rental car out in the lot, but they told me they have 24 hour security for what its worth.

But Category 1 AND a new property bonus makes it a bargain. I don't feel unsafe in the hotel (also I think I may be one of the only guests).

The rooms are the new Hyatt Place standard look. Though since the rooms are converted from Hampton, some of the rooms, mine included, are smaller than standard Hyatt Place properties. Mine does not have the sleeper sofa but instead has a chair which I actually prefer.
Old Oct 26, 20, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer View Post
I'm here now. I can tell you the neighborhood hasn't improved. A bit nervous about my rental car out in the lot, but they told me they have 24 hour security for what its worth.
I had a one night stay last month. Take a look at the printed letter in your room and you will see that the security is there because of the homeless they are housing in the hotel...
Old Oct 26, 20, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Boston Elite View Post
I had a one night stay last month. Take a look at the printed letter in your room and you will see that the security is there because of the homeless they are housing in the hotel...
They didn't give me a letter... I'm guessing too many people complained about it.

There might be a few people they are housing here, but not many. It's really quiet. I have no problem if they are housing those without other homes here.
Old Dec 30, 20, 1:04 pm

I picked this hotel for a mileage run and it's impressive just how bad it is. The renovations seemed to have missed a lot. I agree with others that I wouldn't trust my car in the parking lot.

As for my particular stay, I had assumed that with COVID there would be an extra focus on cleanliness, especially since they only clean the rooms every 4 days. That was not the case. My room was dirty. There were stains on the bed, all the switches in the bathroom were disgusting and the overall room was not clean. It was bad enough I was debating sleeping in my car and I ended up just leaving and not staying at the property.

If you have to pick between the airport Hyatt Place and this Hyatt Place, the airport location is an obvious choice. If the airport location is not available, I'd leave Hyatt and go somewhere else for my stay.
Old Feb 19, 21, 2:19 pm

I stayed here a couple of nights earlier this week. After reading this thread (and a few reviews elsewhere) I was braced for the worst - but things weren't so bad.

After seeing the first post in this thread about the first floor, I booked a regular king room and then requested a high floor; I was "upgraded" to a room on the top floor. I say "upgraded", as the high floor rooms are priced higher when booking. I also confirmed an early 12pm check-in.

The front desk agent was friendly and efficient. I asked how full they were, as I had noticed one of the days earlier in the week they had been sold out; she said they were limited by the city at the moment to 30% occupancy, but that they were regularly able to fill that capacity.

The room was nice - there was a large dining table, the sofa corner, and a king bed. Everything I noticed was clean, no housekeeping issues. My room was facing the freeway, but I didn't have issues with noise. I could see the lot where I was parked, and the sketchy motel next door. Random aside - I googled the sketchy motel to see what the rates were (something like $39 if memory serves), and I saw a note on their site that said something about "only guests named on the reservation are allowed in the rooms" - lol.

There's no question this isn't a great neighborhood, and I'm not sure I'd head out after dark to take a walk...but other than that, no complaints about this property.
dpb132 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: