Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Alila Marea Beach Resort Encinitas, CA REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alila Marea Beach Resort Encinitas, CA REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2021, 8:03 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by CrashDavis
This hotel is in Leucadia, not Encinitas.
It's both. And yes, I always use the name of my town rather than saying I live in Encinitas. But again, both is true. Encinitas was incorporated in 1986 to include Olivenhain, Leucadia , and Cardif-by-the-Sea and today it is a home for about 60,000 residents. Though these areas are technically part of the city of Encinitas, they have retained their unique identities.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 9:53 pm

Programs: WOOD PLAT, HYATT GLOB, SOUTH A-LIST+, UNITED SILVER
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It's both. And yes, I always use the name of my town rather than saying I live in Encinitas. But again, both is true. Encinitas was incorporated in 1986 to include Olivenhain, Leucadia , and Cardif-by-the-Sea and today it is a home for about 60,000 residents. Though these areas are technically part of the city of Encinitas, they have retained their unique identities.
Thanks for clarifying, but listing it as “Encinitas” is misleading for a lot of folks who are not from San Diego and not as well versed in San Diego history as you.

As such, they may think they are in “Encinitas” as most people know it and they will be misled.

Last edited by CrashDavis; Jan 31, 2021 at 10:01 pm
Old Jan 31, 2021, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by buzglyd
If you’re flying in or out of Palomar airport it had better be on a private jet because there is no commercial air service available.

I’ve watched the construction over the past couple of years and it looks to be a beautiful property. It is at the end of La Costa Avenue so not really Encinitas and not really Carlsbad. The views face north over Carlsbad state beach. Nothing really walkable. Great bike riding area or you could skateboard into Leucadia which has lots of cool places.
There will likely be a subgroup flying in on a private jet to stay here, if it is as good as it appears to be.

Outside of the old Grande Del Mar (now the Fairmont), possibly the Park Hyatt Aviara (which I am not a fan of), and Hotel Del (for those into the history and that style), IMO there are very few “aspirational” properties in San Diego area.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CrashDavis
Thanks for clarifying, but it is misleading for a lot of folks who are not from San Diego and not as well versed in San Diego history as you. As such, they may think they are in “Encinitas” as most people know it and they will be misled accordingly.
Folks not from the area won't know the difference between Leucadia, Encinitas, or Cardiff by the Sea. I have stayed at the Inn at Leucadia, and I walked into Encinitas with no issues. The 101 bus also pickup up along the route. It will take you all the way to La Jolla. This is a great area regardless of what you call it I'm not sure it warrants the prices Hyatt wants for it, but I will probably try it once.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by chicaloca453
Folks not from the area won't know the difference between Leucadia, Encinitas, or Cardiff by the Sea. I have stayed at the Inn at Leucadia, and I walked into Encinitas with no issues. The 101 bus also pickup up along the route. It will take you all the way to La Jolla. This is a great area regardless of what you call it I'm not sure it warrants the prices Hyatt wants for it, but I will probably try it once.
Sure - you can walk all the way down to Downtown Encinitas, but it is likely a walk that most people will not do (plus another mile) from this new hotel.

And agree that this is one to check out and nice to have a modern hotel like this in San Diego.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by chicaloca453
This is a great area regardless of what you call it
That's certainly my perspective. I'll be much more concerned with the stay experience than whether the precise location qualifies as "Encinitas."
Old Feb 18, 2021, 2:21 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Anyone else receive an updated reservation noting a new $53.90/day resort fee? I see it's now showing up for all new bookings, but I didn't think they could go back and update existing reservations.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spgplat21
Anyone else receive an updated reservation noting a new $53.90/day resort fee? I see it's now showing up for all new bookings, but I didn't think they could go back and update existing reservations.
I got one - when I saw it I didn’t even realise that the change was adding the resort fee. I just figured it was some kind of pre-opening system shenanigans.

if you’re not a globalist then I’m sure you can argue that you booked before the resort fee was implemented and that you aren’t subject to it. It is pretty bad that they’re retroactively applying it.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 2:28 pm
Community Director Emerita

Anyone else receive an updated reservation noting a new $53.90/day resort fee?
I got updated bookings but hadn't found the resort fee. Now I see it. I agree that I don't think they can retroactively add it.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Oof, that is not only terrible form but also quite possibly the highest dollar-amount resort fee I've ever seen (some resorts charge "resort fees" as a percent of the room rate, which can result in some obscene amounts).
Old Feb 18, 2021, 7:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
I also was wondering why I got an email from them today. That’s super lame to try tacking on extra fees retroactively.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 8:33 pm

Trashy move.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 5:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by dkc192
Oof, that is not only terrible form but also quite possibly the highest dollar-amount resort fee I've ever seen (some resorts charge "resort fees" as a percent of the room rate, which can result in some obscene amounts).
Definitely bad form--hopefully they proactively remove it from reservations to which it was added retroactively.

(As for high dollar-amount resort fees, though, there are some that are substantially higher than this... we paid $85/night at the St Regis Bahia Beach and it's now up to $99/night for our next stay... and the RC Reserve Dorado is $125/night!)
Old Feb 19, 2021, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This phenomenon, of properties updating existing reservations to add a new resort fee, is not limited to this property nor to Hyatt. It may just be sloppy IT. Most of the time when this happens, properties will respect the terms of booking. Has anyone contacted the property yet to confirm the fee won't be charged to reservations that were made prior to its implementation?
Old Feb 19, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I've never had a problem with hotels removing a resort fee if it was added after booking. Primarily Marriott, don't have that worry as a Glob.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.