Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego Hyatt Properties

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
San Diego Hyatt Properties

Looking at booking a 4-5 night stay at a San Diego property in mid December. Debating between GH Manchester, HR Mission Bay, and HR La Jolla. I am an Explorist with club access awards to burn for reference. Can anyone comment on the lounges at these places?

I know some of these properties have undergone renos of late.

My main purpose for this trip is to play golf centered around Torrey Pines. Being able to safely wander around the surrounding area would be nice to explore shops, waterfront and restaurants. As I will be driving around for golf, I will have to put up with parking at the hotels but would consider nearby lots if available.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Manchester GH has an excellent lounge.

You might also consider PH Aviara. Or stay at one of the two properties right on the course (Torrey Pines Lodge, Torrey Pines Hilton).
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
What is the area around the Manchester like? Safe? Easy walking to restaurants and waterfront?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Hyatt has a couple shops and restaurants in a separate building toward the water and there's a larger waterfront building with shops and restaurants right on the edge of the Hyatt Manchester property. You wan also walk in the other direction toward the gaslamp (?) quarter, which is filled with bars, restaurants, hotels, shops, and some rowdy drunks. If you go in the direction of the US Grant hotel (Starriott LC), there's a square that at least had been a place with homeless people.

To me, the big negative aspect of the Manchester GH is its expensive valet parking.

In terms of places to walk for dinner, La Jolla village would be much better, with IME fewer rowdy drunks and a higher ratio of more sophisticated restaurants.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by theshaun
What is the area around the Manchester like? Safe? Easy walking to restaurants and waterfront?
Safe? Seriously? Yes. It's adjacent to Fisherman's Village which is a complete tourist trap. You can walk easily to gaslamp, which has a gazillion restaurants. It also has a very decent restaurant in the lobby, plus a nice pool and excellent fitness center.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In terms of places to walk for dinner, La Jolla village would be much better, with IME fewer rowdy drunks and a higher ratio of more sophisticated restaurants.
Huh? None of the options discussed is in La Jolla Village. Hyatt La Jolla Aventine is at UTC, next to the 5 freeway. That's at least five miles from La Jolla Village.
markko, bbbb and cmx like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Area is very safe. In a popular area of downtown with a number of great restaurants within walking distance. It is a short 20-minute drive from Torrey.
cmx likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Just stayed for 3 nights. I thought the Manchester’s location was excellent, good pools ( adult and family) and decent US club if available to you. Proximity to Fisherman’s warf, Gaslamp, Ferry all excellent.plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby. No issues with street people.
One downside is the remodel going on. There currently is no lobby available.
We downloaded Lime and road those electric scooters everywhere and had a blast.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
GH Manchester hands down if you're looking to walk and explore. Perfectly safe for men and women who walk alone on their way to and from the Gas Lamp, all the streets around there are brightly lit as well so I would say no issues. 6min walk to an unlimited amount of options when it comes to restaurants (Gas Lamp) but it is the "rowdiest" place in San Diego. San Diego is so laid back that the rowdiness is pretty much contained to two or three bars and you're probably not the clientele for them anyway. The renovation to the Manchester lobby is set to be complete in September so it won't be an issue.

HR Mission Bay is fine but it's a 20min walk to the nearest area to explore. HR La Jolla is pretty much the same way but definitely the safest area but it's not like the area around the Manchester is like some crime riddled slum area.

San Diego is one of the safest big cities in America and the worst areas are still better than a lot of other cities of similar sizes. Safety shouldn't be your concern one bit. The worst that might happen is a homeless guy asks for change more than once.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:59 pm

One more vote for the Manchester Grand. Good use of club certificates. locals may kill me for letting secret out of the bag, but hop on a lime or lyft scooter and head to little italy instead of gaslamp. Great food, fewer "rowdy drunks." About 2 miles away so perfect application for a lime. While gaslamp and little italy are definitely more urban than the other two locations they are still very much safe. Unless you are going during weekday rush hour, the drive to torrey pines will be pretty easy.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by theshaun
Looking at booking a 4-5 night stay at a San Diego property in mid December. Debating between GH Manchester, HR Mission Bay, and HR La Jolla. I am an Explorist with club access awards to burn for reference. Can anyone comment on the lounges at these places?

I know some of these properties have undergone renos of late.

My main purpose for this trip is to play golf centered around Torrey Pines. Being able to safely wander around the surrounding area would be nice to explore shops, waterfront and restaurants. As I will be driving around for golf, I will have to put up with parking at the hotels but would consider nearby lots if available.
HR Mission Bay is tranquil, on a marina, resort-like but a small resort at that. There’s a spa. Outdoor pool is decent. Pool bar with limited hours. Green spaces around the property for some nice, short walks. The Red Marlin restaurant (and bar) is very good from a culinary standpoint. View is great from Red Marlin and from some of the guest rooms. Many/most guest rooms have been renovated quite nicely. Regency Club closed down a few years ago.
Old May 22, 2021, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Safe? Seriously? Yes. It's adjacent to Fisherman's Village which is a complete tourist trap. You can walk easily to gaslamp, which has a gazillion restaurants. It also has a very decent restaurant in the lobby, plus a nice pool and excellent fitness center.
Is this still the case? Tried to google the situation in San Diego downtown and got an op-ed about the horrible homeless situation.
Anybody have an update of the situation in downtown SD now? Portland level, vs SF?
Old May 23, 2021, 1:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Is this still the case? Tried to google the situation in San Diego downtown and got an op-ed about the horrible homeless situation.
Anybody have an update of the situation in downtown SD now? Portland level, vs SF?
The homeless in Portland are actually really nice despite their prevalence.

In the gas lamp of SD they are few and far between. They isolate to unpopulated areas rather than more busy areas where they are viewed as problematic. Definitely have felt very safe walking at night with the wife and kids out around downtown SD where the restaurants and everything is going on.
Old May 23, 2021, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200
The homeless in Portland are actually really nice despite their prevalence.

In the gas lamp of SD they are few and far between. They isolate to unpopulated areas rather than more busy areas where they are viewed as problematic. Definitely have felt very safe walking at night with the wife and kids out around downtown SD where the restaurants and everything is going on.
Thanks for the update.. Just saw a recent hotel review stating that the area was a ghost-town, guess that isn't the case anymore.
Old May 23, 2021, 11:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Thanks for the update.. Just saw a recent hotel review stating that the area was a ghost-town, guess that isn't the case anymore.
Stayed in April and the hotels downtown (Manchester Grand and Andaz) were pretty busy, the downtown area was busy and dining was very busy and tastefully done. The Fleming’s is about a 5 minute walk from the Manchester and it was really good.
Old May 23, 2021, 11:54 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The GH Manchester, Sheraton, Marriott, etc. are big convention hotels. With in-person meetings cancelled due to COVID-19, of course the area will seem empty. These are large capacity properties to fill with family leisure travel except for a few peak weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.