Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dogs in the Club Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by lighthouse206

Actually I believe the legal issue is much more complicated as people are trying claim a disability which is alleviated by having their (untrained) dog in their presence at all times. Companies are fearful of saying no to them.

That's the case with airlines, which are hindered by DOT regulations that are more stringent than the ADA, but I think lounges (and also restaurants ) may be in a better legal position to stand up to these shenanigans since there are health codes in force here.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: Globallist
I don't like dogs. I have no problem saying it. Many people don't like cats. I LOVE cats. We are a country that LOVES their dogs. It is so out of control of where dogs are these days. I live in Seattle. I shouldn't be sharing a grocery store aisle with a dog, but I do often. In my opinion, it falls on the owner of the dog to have decency and respect for everyone, but usually its only their world that matters. Dog owners seem to think EVERYONE loves their dog too. I have friends that don't like kids, In 2019 , respect for others space is rare.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
If a hotel is pet friendly, you can expect to see them around the hotel.

I have carried my 8lb dog into the lounge at the Grand Cypress.... nowhere near the food and went straight outside where I was told by the staff it was permissible. Dogs are permitted outside even where food is being served. He is trained to sit under the table and be quiet.

As well, I do agree with the OP that having a dog on the floor in the area of the food and even giving the dog some from the buffet is way out of line, and I would have gone to the front desk and said something to the staff. Why? Because some of us actually follow the rules and people like those you mention ruin it for the rest of us.

FWIW - I DO have a legitimate comfort dog for my husband. We did NOT purchase one of those fake certifications online. We have a genuine letter from a psychiatrist he has been seeing for 10 years. We travel with that, as well as vaccine information from his vet, and the other (significant) paperwork now required by UA. Still, I don't pull the ESA card, nor do I put the dog's vest on, because I don't want to be perceived as taking advantage or having a "fake" support dog. We only go where we are allowed.

So if you see me in an outdoor area that serves food, don't assume I'm taking advantage. I've asked. I'm doing what is allowed.
Glenlivet likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:59 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
It was a girl (and her family) and their pet dog. The dog had no training (was sniffing/licking me while I was selecting food). However, if challenged, I suspect these people would have tried to claim she has an anxiety condition or other "disability" requiring her to have a dog with her at all times.
Good grief. Thanks for starting this thread.

If someone was to claim anxiety or the like I would say I understand but go to a different area of the hotel than the lounge because I do not want to be licked.

It's not because someone has a need for a dog that everybody else around should bear the consequences particularly if the person with the dog most likely has other options of where to spend their evening.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Threatening to feed it chocolate would probably ensure they leave quickly.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:42 pm

There was a dog in the lounge at Hyatt Regency SFO regularly when I was there. It wasn't anywhere near the buffet, however.

At Hyatt Lost Pines, folks took their dogs everywhere. We were there a few years ago for a bird show, and people brought their dogs. The presenters asked for people with dogs to move farther back because the birds wouldn't come out. They didn't move back, so we didn't get the full show.

I love dogs, but we leave ours at home.
59Impala and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by MissDaisyofTexas
There was a dog in the lounge at Hyatt Regency SFO regularly when I was there. It wasn't anywhere near the buffet, however.

At Hyatt Lost Pines, folks took their dogs everywhere. We were there a few years ago for a bird show, and people brought their dogs. The presenters asked for people with dogs to move farther back because the birds wouldn't come out. They didn't move back, so we didn't get the full show.

Amen...
59Impala likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
I'm pretty allergic to dogs and this whole phenomenon has definitely gotten to me personally. Especially at restaurants and airplanes. Haven't seen it in a hotel club yet but I have seen it in a Sky Club and I'm usually the one that has to go out of my way so I don't have health issues. Usually dog owners seem to get really offended if I ask to move as well, like I am some animal hater or something.
Maui4me1 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by MissDaisyofTexas
I wish I could... he has separation anxiety, though it is getting better and my dog sitter is at the end of cancer treatments and I simply could not leave him with her when she isn't feeling 100%

She will be our go-to sitter when we can't or don't want to take him. But we have to work on leaving him after she's better. Thankfully, the treatments have worked and she's taking the last of the meds.

Originally Posted by CloneCones
I'm pretty allergic to dogs and this whole phenomenon has definitely gotten to me personally. Especially at restaurants and airplanes. Haven't seen it in a hotel club yet but I have seen it in a Sky Club and I'm usually the one that has to go out of my way so I don't have health issues. Usually dog owners seem to get really offended if I ask to move as well, like I am some animal hater or something.
My husband is allergic to dogs. That's why we got a poodle. They have hair and not fur and most people do not react to them. Plus he's so small it's not likely you would even see him.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:23 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Plus he's so small it's not likely you would even see him.
The size of a dog would be the least of my worries. If he's not licking guests, not smelling bad, not barking, and not running around, the dog can be as big as you can imagine and I would not mind
Mary2e likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:29 am
Original Poster

The bottom line is Hyatt corporate needs to take a position on this and make the position known to all. I think they are trying to please everyone/have it both ways by keeping things vague and property specific...

No dogs other than trained service animals (seeing eye dogs, etc.) should be allowed in the clubs. Period.
Maui4me1 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I agree, but there might be some local regulations requiring that emotional support animals be permitted. Also, some hotels like to advertise that they're pet friendly, although they can offer pet amenities in rooms (and hopefully clean the rooms well afterward) and even a dog walking valet service without allowing the dogs and other pets ton inconvenience/annoy other guests.
Maui4me1 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
If a hotel is branded as being "overrun" with dogs whether it is at a lounge, lobby or pool, business guests will avoid the hotel like a plague. The hotel will then have to decide they want to appease some leisure guests bringing their dogs to the hotels and disrupting "business stay" guests.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Oh, but dogs are so stylish now. The latest fad is to take your dog everywhere with you, including bringing the dog to work.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Time traveller
If a hotel is branded as being "overrun" with dogs whether it is at a lounge, lobby or pool, business guests will avoid the hotel like a plague. The hotel will then have to decide they want to appease some leisure guests bringing their dogs to the hotels and disrupting "business stay" guests.
I’ve not seen or heard of this being an issue at business hotels. It’s the resorts....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.