Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hotel Kabuki San Francisco (JdV) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Kabuki San Francisco (JdV) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Good thing the destination fees are waved for Globalists all the properties mentioned above.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Great stay, new favorite SF hotel

I’ve always struggled to find a hotel I love in SF, both as a Marriott Titanium and a Hyatt Globalist. The St Regis is too expensive and while I love the view and service at the club lounge at the Grand Hyatt, nothing else was more than “meh.”

Hotel Kabuki’s location was 20-30 min from most of where my meetings happen. But that was part of the appeal here. Out of the hub-bub of downtown, Market St and Union Square.

I was greeted warmly at reception. And even though the hotel was full, I had been kindly upgraded to a suite (more like a junior suite). The lobby was comfortable and welcoming in a Virgin Clubhouse loungy kind of way. And there was an inviting bar to enjoy relaxing drinks with colleagues.

My room was on the ground floor, which felt odd, but there was nothing wrong with that. My windows looked towards the lobby, but they had smartly placed some vegetation and the bar so it never felt like an intrusion. Decorations were fun and made the property pop. But this was also a contrast. On one wall there would be a fun wallpaper or a collage or a funky lamp. And yet the bathroom felt like I may as well have been in a basic college dorm. White cement walls, plain tile, dim lighting. Hm. Could have used a bit more of a touch. Nevertheless, the room was very comfortable. In my suite, I felt like they could have done a better planning job with space. The shower was big enough to be a guest bedroom! And the bed was a bit swallowed up in the size of the room. They could have definitely thrown up a wall to make this a proper suite with a bedroom, and reallocated some of the space in the bathroom from the shower and walk in closet to the sink area. Water pressure was good and I enjoyed the “Jonathan Adler” Citrus & Sandalwood amenities far more than the junk they have at the Grand Hyatt (seriously, can’t wait until they get rid of that stuff).

Breakfast was served in the restaurant downstairs. It took me a minute to find the right elevator and figure out which button to push. Others have mentioned that the buffet selection is limited. It’s true, but also befitting of a boutique hotel. The lack of options didn’t bother me one bit, and I felt they had curated a nice quality of breakfast selections that made it special. From the Kale Apple Ginger juice, to the eggs with green onions, to the mini quiches, whole peaches, and fresh berries. One addition I would have suggested would be a breakfast meat of some kind. Maybe a thick bacon or a premium chicken and apple sausage.

I didn’t get a chance, unfortunately, to try out the amazing fitness room on this trip. It looked incredible. Makes me eager to go back.

Finally, the neighborhood is very nice and quiet. It took me about 25 min to get to/from SFO (without traffic) but nearly 30 minutes to get down to the Embarcadero in the morning By Uber for meetings. There were plenty of great restaurants around as well.

Enjoy a few of my pictures.

Comfortable bed with sassy lighting.

Desk in the room opposite the bed

Fake wall/divider between bed and sitting area

Fun collage on the wall

The only bathroom decoration

I love a little character

Sitting area in the bedroom

Welcoming lobby area

Bar area near reception

Welcoming lobby area

Drink choices at breakfast buffet

Breakfast is served in the basement
Old Dec 16, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Had a weekend stay and really like the location. The hotel was quirky but nothing to write home about. The hyatt integration hasn't gone well. Was told at check in that breakfast was only included for members on award stays. Asked for water and they said it would be sent to room. Asked a second night and was told the same story. Only on day 3 did water get delivered. No welcome note or amenity, no room upgrade although all room categories available. Found the room and bathroom to be spacious but plain. For a sub $200/night room I found it appropriate. Breakfast is very limited. There is a fruit platter, a variety of sliced breads and bagels, a small tray of sliced deli cheese and turkey breast, oatmeal, scrambled eggs and quiche. I think at minimum bacon or sausage should be added, especially at $28 + tax. There is very little seating for how big the hotel is, luckily the hotel was pretty low occupancy while we were there. Had to bring out the hyatt terms to get the breakfast and destination fees taken off at checkout, but they did remove them. Nobody seemed familiar at all with Globalist benefits during any of my interactions with the staff.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
Had a weekend stay and really like the location. The hotel was quirky but nothing to write home about. The hyatt integration hasn't gone well. Was told at check in that breakfast was only included for members on award stays. Asked for water and they said it would be sent to room. Asked a second night and was told the same story. Only on day 3 did water get delivered. No welcome note or amenity, no room upgrade although all room categories available. Found the room and bathroom to be spacious but plain. For a sub $200/night room I found it appropriate. Breakfast is very limited. There is a fruit platter, a variety of sliced breads and bagels, a small tray of sliced deli cheese and turkey breast, oatmeal, scrambled eggs and quiche. I think at minimum bacon or sausage should be added, especially at $28 + tax. There is very little seating for how big the hotel is, luckily the hotel was pretty low occupancy while we were there. Had to bring out the hyatt terms to get the breakfast and destination fees taken off at checkout, but they did remove them. Nobody seemed familiar at all with Globalist benefits during any of my interactions with the staff.
Your experience directly contrasts mine, weird.

Had a weekend stay; great location. I was told at check-in that I had been upgraded to a corner room with the option of a suite, but the suite would be on a lower floor. Looked at both rooms and took the corner room with balcony. 2 extra bottles were in the room and 2 additional sent up when I called the first time. Got a fruit platter at check-in as well as a welcome note welcoming me to the property.

Like yourself and others, breakfast here was meh, but I expected it to be and went across the street to Daeho.

Did not have to ask for anything to be taken off upon check-out, it was all proactively removed.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Your experience directly contrasts mine, weird.

Had a weekend stay; great location. I was told at check-in that I had been upgraded to a corner room with the option of a suite, but the suite would be on a lower floor. Looked at both rooms and took the corner room with balcony. 2 extra bottles were in the room and 2 additional sent up when I called the first time. Got a fruit platter at check-in as well as a welcome note welcoming me to the property.

Like yourself and others, breakfast here was meh, but I expected it to be and went across the street to Daeho.

Did not have to ask for anything to be taken off upon check-out, it was all proactively removed.
I actually just noticed on my CC they recharged me for the gratuity on breakfast which was a little over $15. I can now see in the app that they updated the bill that I signed at checkout and are passing the gratuity along to me after waiving it at checkout although program terms very specifically "includes one entrée or standard breakfast buffet, juice, and coffee, as well as tax, gratuity and service charges". Very curious that you had such great status recognition. Every interaction with multiple front desk staff seemed to indicate they had no clue about the Hyatt program. Nothing wrong with my room, but was not even offered a balcony room although occupancy is low these couple weeks leading up to Christmas. I'm even seeing rates as low as $130 this week, and I thought my rate of $150 was very fair. Got a standard king room on floor two in the shorter building. I will note for everyone that in order to find breakfast, you need to take the elevator closest to the lobby bar and go to GV level. There didn't seem to be signs. Also, I was told breakfast runs until 10am on the weekend by the front desk assistants but the sign in the restaurant said 7am-11am which I assume is correct.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Really strange because your interaction is the polar opposite of mine as well. Similar to the poster above upon check-in I was asked if I wanted to suite on a lower floor or a high floor but it wouldn't be a suite..

No valet parking charges no breakfast charges nothing were on my bill they didn't have to wipe anything out because they just wasn't anything there.

The breakfast isn't good it's basic it's slightly better than a Hyatt place. But I come here for the gym and for the location. Really great ramen place in japantown and close enough to San Francisco downtown if I really want to go there.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
Also, I was told breakfast runs until 10am on the weekend by the front desk assistants but the sign in the restaurant said 7am-11am which I assume is correct.
Correct, it closes at 11 am on the weekend.

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Really strange because your interaction is the polar opposite of mine as well. Similar to the poster above upon check-in I was asked if I wanted to suite on a lower floor or a high floor but it wouldn't be a suite..

No valet parking charges no breakfast charges nothing were on my bill they didn't have to wipe anything out because they just wasn't anything there.

The breakfast isn't good it's basic it's slightly better than a Hyatt place. But I come here for the gym and for the location. Really great ramen place in japantown and close enough to San Francisco downtown if I really want to go there.
I had my first stay here recently, and I enjoyed the hotel. Good location away from downtown. No issues at all during the stay related to Glob benefits (late checkout granted, breakfast/destination fees never appeared).

On the breakfast topic, as most have mentioned, the selection is limited, but I thought the quality of what was offered wasn't bad at all. Better than what I've seen in a lot of US RCs/GCs.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JB Mosaic, SW AList + CP
have two rooms booked here for 3 nights, one on points and other cash

are the destination fees removed for Globs, on both points and cash stays?

Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum, WoH Explorist
Originally Posted by broncophil
have two rooms booked here for 3 nights, one on points and other cash

are the destination fees removed for Globs, on both points and cash stays?

Thanks.
Yes, that's correct. Destination fees are waived.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:29 pm

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Just stayed for the weekend. Thanked to be Globalist. Upgraded to corner room, nothing special but adequate. Lively lobby bar. As others have noted, breakfast spread not so varied but ok quality wise. Gym really great both in size and for the machines. Nice Japan town location. No issues at checkout, breakfast and resort fees removed without asking. Actually one morning we had a guest for breakfast and they removed that charge to. All employees I interacted with were very friendly and polite.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:55 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Anyone stay at Kabuki in the last few months and have a review/thoughts?
Old Jun 13, 2021, 8:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
Any recent stays? Thanks
Old Jun 13, 2021, 8:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I stayed here at the beginning of May for four days prior to heading to Big Sur. My wife and I loved it. Service was super friendly and we appreciated the cleanliness and safety of the neighborhood, which wildly contrasted to other parts of SF. The food options were fantastic.

As a Globalist, I was upgraded to a corner room with a small balcony that largely went unused. Breakfast was adequate; the gym impressive. There was a nice welcome gift too.

If I was traveling to SF for business, would I stay there? I like to walk to meetings so downtown is certainly more convenient. However, if I had work outside of the city and was looking for a base, I'd go back to the Kabuki in a heartbeat. It's really the combination of the hotel and neighborhood amenities. If I was traveling for pleasure, I'd probably stay more centrally my first time in SF and at the Kabuki anytime thereafter.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 11:56 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by enfuego
I stayed here at the beginning of May for four days prior to heading to Big Sur. My wife and I loved it. Service was super friendly and we appreciated the cleanliness and safety of the neighborhood, which wildly contrasted to other parts of SF. The food options were fantastic.

As a Globalist, I was upgraded to a corner room with a small balcony that largely went unused. Breakfast was adequate; the gym impressive. There was a nice welcome gift too.

If I was traveling to SF for business, would I stay there? I like to walk to meetings so downtown is certainly more convenient. However, if I had work outside of the city and was looking for a base, I'd go back to the Kabuki in a heartbeat. It's really the combination of the hotel and neighborhood amenities. If I was traveling for pleasure, I'd probably stay more centrally my first time in SF and at the Kabuki anytime thereafter.
Thanks for the review!

In terms of breakfast, are you saying it was "merely fine?" (As in, just okay?)
Old Jun 14, 2021, 7:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
For what it’s worth, I called and asked the hotel yesterday about their breakfast, I was told it’s a “yogurt and fruit kind of a thing”.
futuramadramallama likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.