Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Category Changes 2019

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by calculus1918
So disappointed with the category change for the Hyatt Regency Boston, our goto hotel during the summer. Question for the experts, my annual certificate does not renew until April 😶... Could I technically book the Boston property with points right now for 15k and then switch it to the certificate in April?

I value the points much more since they are more flexible to work with, thanks!
This one kills me too. So many times I've used a free night certificate when the cash rate was 600/night in the summer. Was one of my sweet spots.

Fortunately, Cambridge is still a Cat 4, in case you want to burn a certificate and stay at a Hyatt in Boston. There's also the airport one, but that's too far out of reach for me (as a BU alum, the Cambridge location is A okay)
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:12 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I’ve just deleted a bunch of posts because they were political debate. Please return to the thread topic of the Hyatt devaluation. Thanks!

peteropny - co-mod - hyatt
uppereastsider and RedSun like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by peteropny
I’ve just deleted a bunch of posts because they were political debate. Please return to the thread topic of the Hyatt devaluation. Thanks!

peteropny - co-mod - hyatt
thanks! I wanted to defend my college but didn’t want to get the thread off topic 😁
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I stayed at the HR Cambridge once and rather liked it alot -- Good breakfast, nice views, friendly staff. The location is a bit removed, but I found it easily walkable (at least in the summer) to Massachusetts Avenue between MIT and Harvard (I found that this stretch had some great restaurants/bars -- love the college town scene there), and from there you can take a metro ride into downtown boston.

It's a two mile+ walk to Boston common, however I did that walk too and must report that it is also a very pleasant walk through the upscale Back Bay neighborhood and along the river. I would have no hesitations burning a cat1-4 certificate there during the summer months.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
This looks like an update to match avg rate in usd, and not a deval. Look at marriott if you want to see what a deval looks like.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by uppereastsider

thanks! I wanted to defend my college but didn’t want to get the thread off topic 😁
Sorry, it was intended as humor (not meant to be deeply political nor a real dig on BU), hence the smilies on my posts. I apologize to all who were offended by my posts on the off topic subject.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pWei
This looks like an update to match avg rate in usd, and not a deval. Look at marriott if you want to see what a deval looks like.
Yeah, exactly. 130 going up a category and 129 going down a category is not a devaluation. It's a rebalancing.

I think that people are just so used to every awards program change being a devaluation that they just assume that it is.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:15 am

-----

Last edited by mster; Apr 25, 2019 at 8:25 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mster
.....Effective 11:01 p.m. CT, March 18, 2019, World of Hyatt will adjust the award categories for 259 hotels. (23:00 ET on March 18)
Where did you find that reference to ET? All time referenced I found are for CT. OTOH, if you are concerned about one hour difference between CT and ET, you are cutting it too close.

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...t-updates.html
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:43 am

-----

Last edited by mster; Apr 25, 2019 at 8:25 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The concern is a huge 24 hour time gap. One could interpret the terms to intend for a change on *either* 23:01 CT on March 18th (00:01 ET on March 19th) *or* 23:01 on March 17th (00:01 ET on March 18th). The terms specify that awards booked *on or after* March 18th will be priced at the new award rates, but the time given for the switch will instead be March 19th for the majority of the world including the east coast of the US.
I've also see these things change on "hotel" time although don't specifically remember for last time Hyatt changed.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The concern is a huge 24 hour time gap. One could interpret the terms to intend for a change on *either* 23:01 CT on March 18th (00:01 ET on March 19th) *or* 23:01 on March 17th (00:01 ET on March 18th). The terms specify that awards booked *on or after* March 18th will be priced at the new award rates, but the time given for the switch will instead be March 19th for the majority of the world including the east coast of the US.
it is not a "huge gap' considering that they advised of this more than a month ago..
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:27 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

So the rate change is tonight? I still see the old rates now.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedSun
So the rate change is tonight? I still see the old rates now.
It is only 643pm CDT. 4+ hours to go.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:51 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

This thread is much quieter than the Marriott annual category change thread.
soartoday likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.