Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Category Changes 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Matt4200
I’m extremely surprised it’s a Cat 5 I would definitely think it will drop back Cat 4. I know it’s a great hotel, but definitely not worthy of Cat 5.
"worthy" has nothing to do with it. Cash rates do... and the only hotel attached to DFW comes with a big premium.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif
"worthy" has nothing to do with it. Cash rates do... and the only hotel attached to DFW comes with a big premium.
I know how Category changes are decided. But when your cash rate is steadily under $200 it makes no sense to make your property a Cat 5. Most Cat 5 properties daily rate is $350-$500. I searched a dozen dates for GH DFW and found only 2 where the rate went over $200, and even then it’s $209. I know that GH DFW is almost all corporate travelers so paying in points means nothing. But making this property a Cat 5 makes no sense at all as no one with points would book it, and the pricing makes no sense to be in a Cat 5.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: Globallist
C'MON BAHAMAS CAT 4!!!! LezzzzzGO!

Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:27 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
We will get advance notice. Even that mid-year change in Budapest - cat. 2 up to 5 - came with lots of advance warning.

"Book what you want now" is fine, but I certainly wouldn't waste time with speculative bookings that might be forgotten about.
Last year there was 5 weeks notice. That's cutting it close if one is trying to book a resort property in the Caribbean on points for spring break.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I know how Category changes are decided. But when your cash rate is steadily under $200 it makes no sense to make your property a Cat 5. Most Cat 5 properties daily rate is $350-$500. I searched a dozen dates for GH DFW and found only 2 where the rate went over $200, and even then it’s $209. I know that GH DFW is almost all corporate travelers so paying in points means nothing. But making this property a Cat 5 makes no sense at all as no one with points would book it, and the pricing makes no sense to be in a Cat 5.
Until this year when they dropped to 4, there were cat 5s in Chicago you could sometimes get for $90.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Until this year when they dropped to 4, there were cat 5s in Chicago you could sometimes get for $90.
I think the key word is “sometimes”. I’m sure at peak season they were $400+. I’ve checked all the peak dates I can think of for one nights and 3 night stays at GH DFW and cant find any exceeding $300.

I also feel like a good amount of Hyatt’s Partner hotels are in completely wrong Categories. I think they do need to rework their formula and I do believe over time they will.

HC Fisherman’s Wharf I think honestly should be a Cat 4, it has a nice location but not much more going for it. That’s what I really hope changes back more than anything.

Traveling up and down Texas numerous times I have actually found pretty good value in their Cat 1-2 properties. My opinion (yes, just opinion) is that based on the cash rates I’ve seen for GH DFW through 2019 and 2020 it should be a Cat 4, and based on the surrounding Hyatt properties. Isn’t HR DFW a Cat 2? Anyways just my opinion everyone has their own.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.

Traveling up and down Texas numerous times I have actually found pretty good value in their Cat 1-2 properties. My opinion (yes, just opinion) is that based on the cash rates I’ve seen for GH DFW through 2019 and 2020 it should be a Cat 4, and based on the surrounding Hyatt properties. Isn’t HR DFW a Cat 2? Anyways just my opinion everyone has their own.
I've burned a fair number of points on Cat1s in texas too.

And yeah, the HR DFW is cat 2 (and is pretty much attached to DFW as well), and the HR Dallas is a cat 3 and most often more expensive than the GH DFW.

There are a few times when the GH DFW goes for $300 for a night (I've seen it only when the last batch of rooms are sold during irrops happening at the airport, or on a few random M-F nights when some function/meeting is booked), but usually it is $180-230. I think cat 4 is plenty fair, but the current cat 5 designation is a stretch. And though I don't know what the hotel occupancy rate is normally, it gets very very quiet on holidays and weekends. I had a maintenance issue the last time I was there and was told by the maintenance head that occupancy was 15% that night.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skj
Last year there was 5 weeks notice. That's cutting it close if one is trying to book a resort property in the Caribbean on points for spring break.
Cutting it close? You can book whatever property you want at the moment. So you've got several months to organise your spring break.

If you ONLY book hotels that are going up in category, that's a bit short-sighted. If it's a really good deal now, then you shouldn't need to wait until Hyatt recognises that...
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold
Originally Posted by skj
Book what you want now. If the property drops a category or two, you'll get the new rate. If it goes up, you'll keep the current rate. If you see a different property that dropped a category and is now more attractive, cancel your reservation and book at the new property.
I'm trying to use Cat 1-4 free nights so that won't work for a property that's currently Cat 5. Would be nice to use those free nights at Baha Mar, but that's rolling the dice if they don't make any announcements until February. Although not likely to drop after just moving up to Cat 5, would be nice if Papagayo or Coconut Point dropped back to Cat 4.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dmgrayinva
I'm trying to use Cat 1-4 free nights so that won't work for a property that's currently Cat 5. Would be nice to use those free nights at Baha Mar, but that's rolling the dice if they don't make any announcements until February. Although not likely to drop after just moving up to Cat 5, would be nice if Papagayo or Coconut Point dropped back to Cat 4.
I feel the same way for PH Busan. Want it to fall back to Cat. 4 too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.