Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt NYC To Be Torn Down & Rebuilt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
The Grand Hyatt New York - which originally opened in 1919 as the Commodore - will close before the end of 2020 and will be torn down to make way for a new tower totaling 2 million square feet. The hotel was renovated by Donald Trump in 1980, at which time it received its glass exterior.

Press coverage:
Grand Hyatt New York to Be Torn Down, Replaced with Tower
New York’s Grand Hyatt Hotel to Be Torn Down (subscription required)
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt NYC To Be Torn Down & Rebuilt

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: UA, Hyatt
I have to say one thing about the Grand Hyatt NY - it was a nice property until the renovations about 10 years ago, maybe more. Is it me, but is the design reminiscent of an apocalypse? If you look at the abstract art in the rooms, some of the prints resemble people falling from a high rise building (no lie) and the lobby is ugly, particularly those grotesque heads (which, at the time, I read cost 1 million each.) It's worth losing a million dollars to get rid of them and increase the value of the property. I still stay there for the club level and location. Other than that, it's a dog because of the decor. I hope the Hyatt portion is rebuilt, they learned from the mistake of using that particular designer. As far as when it will be rebuilt, knowing NY, after the appropriate outs, it will happen and not until then.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:17 am

Good riddance to bad rubbish
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:16 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by dmg00
I have to say one thing about the Grand Hyatt NY - it was a nice property until the renovations about 10 years ago, maybe more. Is it me, but is the design reminiscent of an apocalypse? If you look at the abstract art in the rooms, some of the prints resemble people falling from a high rise building (no lie) and the lobby is ugly, particularly those grotesque heads (which, at the time, I read cost 1 million each.) It's worth losing a million dollars to get rid of them and increase the value of the property. I still stay there for the club level and location. Other than that, it's a dog because of the decor. I hope the Hyatt portion is rebuilt, they learned from the mistake of using that particular designer. As far as when it will be rebuilt, knowing NY, after the appropriate outs, it will happen and not until then.
Yes 1 Million each and thankfully your resort fee cough cough I mean destination fee paid for every one of those heads
I kind of like the lobby actually better than the rooms however in all the decades I frequented the property I never understood why they couldn't make the elite line easily visible @ check in
And the one time when they really got it right by having a private check in office for Diamond guests they ended up closing it
While the club was attractive and expanded it still couldn't handle the volume of crushing crowds on your average weekend
Every time I would go to get a cup of coffee my full plates would be cleared as blind team members cleared every dish they saw like robots
never looking up while people stood around hoping to get seated.Many times folks ran in for free breakfast when the doors opened following in those with granted access.
No buy up or elite status needed
The decor was less of an issue for me than the antiquated insufficient cramped layouts of bathrooms in the smaller guest rooms and even some lower level suites
Claustrophobic when sitting on the throne
Still a part of me will miss it like a bad fraternity house from college

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 20, 2019 at 11:24 am
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:32 am

You are right about the thrones and the crowds in the club, at check in and at the elevators, especially in the morning, when every elevator is full and you can't get down to the lobby.

I was there once when the Apprentice candidates were there, too. Who knew what the future held? And once, only once, we were upgraded to a really, really nice suite!

The decor was so ugly that it actually depressed me, except for the abstract of the people falling from skyscrapers - that raised my anxiety!!! You are all right and it's so sad, but good riddance to it because it was driven into the ground.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:52 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

You are right about the thrones and the crowds in the club, at check in and at the elevators, especially in the morning, when every elevator is full and you can't get down to the lobby.

I was there once when the Apprentice candidates were there, too. Who knew what the future held? And once, only once, we were upgraded to a really, really nice suite!

The decor was so ugly that it actually depressed me, except for the abstract of the people falling from skyscrapers - that raised my anxiety!!! You are all right and it's so sad, but good riddance to it because it was driven into the ground.
I'll never forget the fire dept fishing people/guests out of the stuck frozen elevators
One time I spent 40 minutes waiting for an elevator.Luckily I never chose the property for business
I too received some very generous suite upgrades over the year likely the # 1 reason I would trade off with the caveats of staying there
BTW I haven't received a Hyatt survey in over ten years .I'm convinced I have been black listed for telling the truth that nobody wants to truly hear
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:14 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Good riddance, this hotel is an abomination. I can't wait to see what a good GH in NYC looks like (hopefully).

Also not entirely disappointed that they're getting rid of a lot of the event space and halving the room numbers — it'll make for a better guest experiences.

Unfortunately, I doubt the occasional good rates will remain.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:28 am

If I had to slide down the banister, there's now way I'd take those elevators after witnessing that! Still working out how to get up those stairs.

While the club is crowded, I thought the offerings were really good, particularly when the US Open officials and Jr players & parents were there. Maybe I haven't been in enough clubs to compare?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:29 am

A quick question, for a leisure visit within the US, which Hyatt is your favorite? This one was my go to for a lot of practical reasons, but I'm looking for alternatives.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

A quick question, for a leisure visit within the US, which Hyatt is your favorite? This one was my go to for a lot of practical reasons, but I'm looking for alternatives.
You mean in NYC? The US is a big place.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:06 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
The Andaz 5th is my go-to in NYC, but I'm also quite happy with the Hyatt Union Square and Centric Times Square. The Park Hyatt is nice but not worth the price and does have some service issues.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:22 am

Yes, in the US. You're right - it is a big place!! I've been a loyal Hyattist since ignoring a good travel agent's advice and not booking the Hyatt in Aruba. She said, you're not going to happy and she was right. Worse, there was no availability, so I couldn't even switch hotels. Instead, I left Aruba (this was 25 years ago.)

The hotel can make or break the destination and I'm visiting strictly for leisure, not business, so I have flexibility with destination and time of year.

Thank you for the recommendation of the Andaz - it's on my list for the next time, perhaps even this weekend. If so, I'll let you know!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Yes, in the US. You're right - it is a big place!! I've been a loyal Hyattist since ignoring a good travel agent's advice and not booking the Hyatt in Aruba. She said, you're not going to happy and she was right. Worse, there was no availability, so I couldn't even switch hotels. Instead, I left Aruba (this was 25 years ago.)

The hotel can make or break the destination and I'm visiting strictly for leisure, not business, so I have flexibility with destination and time of year.

Thank you for the recommendation of the Andaz - it's on my list for the next time, perhaps even this weekend. If so, I'll let you know!
Maybe give the Hyatt Parker New York a shot.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Aventine
Maybe give the Hyatt Parker New York a shot.
Feel the burn!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.