Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[CONFIRMED] Points and Cash Devaluation Coming 1 November?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[CONFIRMED] Points and Cash Devaluation Coming 1 November?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:54 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Even after all points award nights started counting for status, P+C was useful for those of us looking forward to Lifetime status. Earlier this year I booked 25 room nights at HR Maui using P+C. I didn't want to spend $15K out of pocket for the trip, but I didn't mind spending around $4K, and edging that much closer to the million base points. It may still be the case in the future, but an all points stay would be a lot more attractive compared to spending $7-8K, at least for me.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
The old Suite Point Upgrade required a three day minimum booking. Does anybody know if this will be the case under the new system? I couldn't find any mention of this in T&C.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
No longer required.

Originally Posted by hailstorm
The old Suite Point Upgrade required a three day minimum booking. Does anybody know if this will be the case under the new system? I couldn't find any mention of this in T&C.
hailstorm likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sensei
No longer required.

That is one of the positive things about these changes.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I tend to think that they are just trying to weed out ultra-value seekers (eg, cheapskates, bottom-feeders, yours truly), and focus on higher spenders.
Hey! I resemble that remark...

Quietly bemoaning the end of C+P at my favorite C+P place, PHV. I don't think of Hyatt points as things to buy, or UR points for that matter. I think of them as things that just show up while I am going about my business, which in many cases involves indolently clicking on Chase credit card applications. Speaking of business, there is business and there is business. I don't happen to be in one that allows for $1,000+/night expensing of hotel rooms, even in Paris. But $300 is possible, and this is another reason why I will miss C+P.

Oh, well. I look forward to consoling myself with the new Chase WoH card.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Hey! I resemble that remark...

Quietly bemoaning the end of C+P at my favorite C+P place, PHV. I don't think of Hyatt points as things to buy, or UR points for that matter. I think of them as things that just show up while I am going about my business, which in many cases involves indolently clicking on Chase credit card applications. Speaking of business, there is business and there is business. I don't happen to be in one that allows for $1,000+/night expensing of hotel rooms, even in Paris. But $300 is possible, and this is another reason why I will miss C+P.

Oh, well. I look forward to consoling myself with the new Chase WoH card.
Odd... you choose to make an example one of the handful of hotels where P+C provided poor value vs. a full award stay. (Categories 1 and 7)

If your company is happy to pay for the cash element of P+C whilst you cover the points, I'm sure the 50% discount will work rather similarly much of the time.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Not sure I follow you. If a room costs $1,000 a night and you can get it for 30,000 points, then I agree -- that's a good use of those points. If you don't have 30,000 points, but you do have 15,000 points, at present you can pay $310 or so in addition to the 15,000 points and get that room. I take your point that some time in the past you might have bought the additional points for less than $310, but what I was saying is that I am not inclined to pay for points, much less invest in them in advance. If you'll grant me that disposition, then having P+C as an option is a good option to have. Or, soon, to have had.

As for my other point, in the hypothetical setting above, won't Hyatt soon be wanting 15,000 points plus $700 (not $310 or so). Here we'd agree that one might not want to use 15,000 points to cover $310 or so. And since I can't get back $700 for a night in Paris, I would be stuck paying 30,000 points if I wanted to stay at PHV instead of somewhere else ... all on my "money" (i.e., points).
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Not sure I follow you. If a room costs $1,000 a night and you can get it for 30,000 points, then I agree -- that's a good use of those points. If you don't have 30,000 points, but you do have 15,000 points, at present you can pay $310 or so in addition to the 15,000 points and get that room. I take your point that some time in the past you might have bought the additional points for less than $310, but what I was saying is that I am not inclined to pay for points, much less invest in them in advance. If you'll grant me that disposition, then having P+C as an option is a good option to have. Or, soon, to have had.

As for my other point, in the hypothetical setting above, won't Hyatt soon be wanting 15,000 points plus $700 (not $310 or so). Here we'd agree that one might not want to use 15,000 points to cover $310 or so. And since I can't get back $700 for a night in Paris, I would be stuck paying 30,000 points if I wanted to stay at PHV instead of somewhere else ... all on my "money" (i.e., points).
If you are unwilling to buy 15,000 points for $255 but are willing to spend $300 + tax for P+C to avoid spending another 15K points, then you have a very precise circumstance that few here would find relevant.

You also would never have found P+C availability at PHV when rates are $1000+. P+C is always at the discretion of the hotel and IME is never offered during high occupancy, high rate dates.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by craigthemif
If you are unwilling to buy 15,000 points for $255 but are willing to spend $300 + tax for P+C to avoid spending another 15K points, then you have a very precise circumstance that few here would find relevant.

You also would never have found P+C availability at PHV when rates are $1000+. P+C is always at the discretion of the hotel and IME is never offered during high occupancy, high rate dates.
Very true! We now should hopefully find more C+P availability at higher end properties.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

One night is not the issue, yes most of us could buy points to mitigate the price increase. But you can't buy enough points per year for a week stay at a Cat 6. Or if a married couple, can't buy enough points for two weeks worth of stays.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Laat week I asked three hotels about premium suite upgrade eligibility. Only Park Hyatt Tokyo has given me an answer. Hyatt Regency Tokyo eventually replied to state that they still haven't decided yet, while Grand Hyatt Tokyo continues to maintain radio silence.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Laat week I asked three hotels about premium suite upgrade eligibility. Only Park Hyatt Tokyo has given me an answer. Hyatt Regency Tokyo eventually replied to state that they still haven't decided yet, while Grand Hyatt Tokyo continues to maintain radio silence.
You can keep us in suspense like that! What's the premium suite at the PH Tokyo?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbw5t
You can keep us in suspense like that! What's the premium suite at the PH Tokyo?
See the Park Hyatt Tokyo thread for that!
OsakaWino and MarkP24 like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:47 am

At the risk of seeming argumentative, let me just say that in my experience, what works best in this game is to keep options open. The circumstances that you deride as irrelevant to others may indeed be irrelevant to others; I leave it to these self-same others to judge. Again -- and this is only my experience -- the best information that I glean from these boards has to do with what is possible in special circumstances. The general stuff (like "What's the best credit card?") is (in my judgment) a fool's errand (which is to say that when everyone is doing the same thing, there is little advantage to be gained by doing it one's self as well).

But back to the particulars, as opposed to the philosophy: There's never and there is never. Five days ago I needed a hotel room in Paris for the same week in what passes for the last minute. Since I was already in PHV, I checked availablility for the additional night. The basic rate was something like 850 euros (I never do advance purchase, but I suppose that is irrelevant to others) which is something like $1000. But, fortunately for me (and perhaps irrelevant to others, and soon to be irrelevant to me, too, after 31 October 2018), there was P+C available. I needed it, I took it. This being my experience, I do acknowledge that it does not in the least contradict your experience that P+C is never offered during high occupancy, first because it is not your experience, it is mine (which few here would find relevant); second because I am in no position to say whether the night in question qualifies as high occupancy under your definition.

So you are right, and although I started out not wanting to be argumentative, I realize that I have argued myself into submission. Not just that, but I shan't have even this wrong choice to make after 31 October and the demise of P+C as I have known it (and incorrectly utilized it).
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
At the risk of seeming argumentative, let me just say that in my experience, what works best in this game is to keep options open. The circumstances that you deride as irrelevant to others may indeed be irrelevant to others; I leave it to these self-same others to judge. Again -- and this is only my experience -- the best information that I glean from these boards has to do with what is possible in special circumstances. The general stuff (like "What's the best credit card?") is (in my judgment) a fool's errand (which is to say that when everyone is doing the same thing, there is little advantage to be gained by doing it one's self as well).

But back to the particulars, as opposed to the philosophy: There's never and there is never. Five days ago I needed a hotel room in Paris for the same week in what passes for the last minute. Since I was already in PHV, I checked availablility for the additional night. The basic rate was something like 850 euros (I never do advance purchase, but I suppose that is irrelevant to others) which is something like $1000. But, fortunately for me (and perhaps irrelevant to others, and soon to be irrelevant to me, too, after 31 October 2018), there was P+C available. I needed it, I took it. This being my experience, I do acknowledge that it does not in the least contradict your experience that P+C is never offered during high occupancy, first because it is not your experience, it is mine (which few here would find relevant); second because I am in no position to say whether the night in question qualifies as high occupancy under your definition.

So you are right, and although I started out not wanting to be argumentative, I realize that I have argued myself into submission. Not just that, but I shan't have even this wrong choice to make after 31 October and the demise of P+C as I have known it (and incorrectly utilized it).
+1

We used P+C for a week's stay at PHV a few years ago and the Senior rate at the time was over US900. So under the old P+C the cash portion was US$300 while under the new P+C it would be at least US$450, a difference of at least US$1050 for the week, which is certainly not insignificant. Maybe they've tightened up recently, but PHV had plenty of P+C availability back then.

And yes, of course I realize that the per pt value is less when using P+C at cat 7 hotels, but that is theoretical. In reality I do not have an unlimited number of pts, and I think many if not most others also have a limited number of pts. And I do purchase the max almost every year at the 40% sale. So I have little patience for those posters who say "just buy the pts".

I also have little patience for posters who say things like "very few people here would find [that] relevant". What an ignorant to say, as if they personally know the circumstances of everyone reading FT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.