FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   [CONFIRMED] Points and Cash Devaluation Coming 1 November? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1936373-confirmed-points-cash-devaluation-coming-1-november.html)

59Impala Oct 24, 2018 6:31 am

Originally Posted by zack14 (Post 30349979)
Very disappointing news.

Originally Posted by christianj (Post 30350027)
I thought the program was on the up again with some positive enhancements since they gutted it with the introduction of WOH a couple of years ago. Guess NOT! One step forward...two steps back.

i wouldn't say it is bad in every case. I have seen full cash rates at Cat 6 and 7 hotels, which were only slightly higher than the cash part in a P+C. e.g. 350$ full cash vs 300$ in a P+C scenario. so with the new rules, the cash part in a P+C case would drop to 175$.

GUWonder Oct 24, 2018 7:37 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala (Post 30350106)
i wouldn't say it is bad in every case. I have seen full cash rates at Cat 6 and 7 hotels, which were only slightly higher than the cash part in a P+C. e.g. 350$ full cash vs 300$ in a P+C scenario. so with the new rules, the cash part in a P+C case would drop to 175$.

Indeed. But as with a typical divide and conquer strategy, making some feel like they are winning from a move which is causing others to lose in the same stroke is par for the course, the PR course especially when there are more customers losing than winning from a change.

AmericanCasey Oct 24, 2018 7:40 am

This went by pretty fast as I was canceling the cash + points reservation, but it looked like the Centric in Rosslyn, Virginia had already converted the cash portion to the new system. I checked some cash +points reservations at the Hyatt Regency Tysons Corner and those are still set at 75 + Tax.

GUWonder Oct 24, 2018 7:54 am

Originally Posted by AmericanCasey (Post 30350286)
This went by pretty fast as I was canceling the cash + points reservation, but it looked like the Centric in Rosslyn, Virginia had already converted the cash portion to the new system. I checked some cash +points reservations at the Hyatt Regency Tysons Corner and those are still set at 75 + Tax.

For that property in Rosslyn, I’m seeing 6000 points +$75 for nights where the cash rate is anywhere from $83 to $338 per night.

danger Oct 24, 2018 8:16 am

Can we be confident that it also works this way? I know the new chart says 50% of the standard rate, but I wouldn't be surprised if the current cash component is the minimum. So in your example, the points plus cash would be 15k plus $300 (for a category seven).

hailstorm Oct 24, 2018 5:21 pm

But those were the cases where P+C was already a bad value in the first place. And it still is, unless you value 15000 points at under $175.

sapguy Oct 24, 2018 8:44 pm

Interesting but I just checked the Park Hyatt Saigon on hyatt.com and their Cash & Points rate is no longer offered.

Glad I booked 2 rooms with C & P last week!

OsakaWino Oct 25, 2018 12:23 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 30352495)
But those were the cases where P+C was already a bad value in the first place. And it still is, unless you value 15000 points at under $175.

+1

I find it difficult to imagine many instances where the new P+C is going to be a better deal that the old P+C. Maybe sometimes it will be only marginally different, and it will require different comparisons vs all-pts and vs cash, but in most cases the occasional fantastic deals that were available on P+C will be gone.

Fortunately, one significant reason for preferring P+C over all-pts is no longer needed. Before all-pts stays were counted for night/stay credit P+C was very important as a means of using up some pts while still getting credit, but that is no longer relevant.

craigthemif Oct 25, 2018 6:05 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino (Post 30353449)
+1

I find it difficult to imagine many instances where the new P+C is going to be a better deal that the old P+C. Maybe sometimes it will be only marginally different, and it will require different comparisons vs all-pts and vs cash, but in most cases the occasional fantastic deals that were available on P+C will be gone.

Fortunately, one significant reason for preferring P+C over all-pts is no longer needed. Before all-pts stays were counted for night/stay credit P+C was very important as a means of using up some pts while still getting credit, but that is no longer relevant.

There are zero instances when P+C will be better than BOTH 100% point awards or paying the cash rate.

The main use will be deceiving people into booking P+C for a 50% discount instead of just paying with points (buying them if necessary)

GUWonder Oct 25, 2018 7:58 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 30354154)
There are zero instances when P+C will be better than BOTH 100% point awards or paying the cash rate.

The main use will be deceiving people into booking P+C for a 50% discount instead of just paying with points (buying them if necessary)

Sounds like Hyatt has just primed the pump to try to directly sell more points going forward, whether or not it intends to deceive customers. Either way, there should be little to no doubt that Hyatt is pursuing this change for its own interests at the expense of customers in the main. Devaluations hitting the loyalty program customers in the main are what Hyatt has been about more since getting ready to go public than ever before.

Therr will be instances when P+C may be better than 100% point awards and better than 100% cash rate, but it will be more the exception than the norm.

OsakaWino Oct 25, 2018 9:41 am

You may be right, but in this day and age of trumpian claims, I'm more doubtful of superlatives such as "zero". Especially considering the limit on pt purchases and the timing for pt sales, I'm not that sure that there might still be some situations when it might be to one's advantage to book even the new P+C, especially considering T&S as high as 30% on cash portions.

OsakaWino Oct 25, 2018 9:49 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 30354515)

Sounds like Hyatt has just primed the pump to try to directly sell more points going forward, whether or not it intends to deceive customers. Either way, there should be little to no doubt that Hyatt is pursuing this change for its own interests at the expense of customers in the main. Devaluations hitting the loyalty program customers in the main are what Hyatt has been about more since getting ready to go public than ever before.

Therr will be instances when P+C may be better than 100% point awards and better than 100% cash rate, but it will be more the exception than the norm.

I tend to think that they are just trying to weed out ultra-value seekers (eg, cheapskates, bottom-feeders, yours truly), and focus on higher spenders. The premium suite upgrade at 9000 pts is a great value for deep-pocketed customers looking to get (for example) a US$3,000-4000 suite for as low as US$700-1000, but that price range eliminates a lot of lower-end customers regardless of the comparative value.

ENIAC Oct 25, 2018 11:39 am

Exactly. Using the new P+C will always give suboptimal value.If the total cash cost (incl tax) is low enough to be better value than points (using whatever your personal valuation is for a point - currently 1.7 cents for me) then paying all cash will maximize your value, and paying half in points will be a less good deal. If total cash cost is high enough to make using points a good deal, then paying half in cash will always be a less good deal than using pure points.

So the only time it would ever make sense to book the new P+C is if points are a good deal for a stay but you don't have enough to book it (and Hyatt isn't running a sale to buy them at a reasonable price).

Colin Oct 25, 2018 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 30347197)
a trivial increase in the nightly "cash" component by buying half the points needed on a standard award from WOH at the current $0.017 rate vs. the defunct points+cash rate plan.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4824e15406.jpg

not even valuing all the incremental benefits of standard awards including last room availability, free parking for globalists, waived resort fees for kettles.

talking out of the other side of my mouth, the announced Citi Presitge limitations now make these P+C changes a bit more painful as the vast, vast, vast majority of my Hyatt stays are Citi 4th.

craigthemif Oct 25, 2018 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by OsakaWino (Post 30354881)
You may be right, but in this day and age of trumpian claims, I'm more doubtful of superlatives such as "zero". Especially considering the limit on pt purchases and the timing for pt sales, I'm not that sure that there might still be some situations when it might be to one's advantage to book even the new P+C, especially considering T&S as high as 30% on cash portions.

You can always do the math on a tax-inclusive basis.

But as near as I can figure, for the marginal scenarios, you'll still end up paying cash because you'll earn more points back. (although you can adjust your calculations for that as well)

The restrictions are indeed about the limit on buying points and whether you happen to have enough points on hand whenever there isn't a buy points promo ongoing.