FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   [CONFIRMED] Points and Cash Devaluation Coming 1 November? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1936373-confirmed-points-cash-devaluation-coming-1-november.html)

blahmeh14 Oct 19, 2018 4:08 pm

I think they've been planning this change for quite some time (2+ years). The backend coding in their booking engine has had the capability for variable P+C pricing for at least that long -- and that code has been accidentally pushed live and then rolled back on more than one occasion in the past. For instance, here is a screenshot I took in June 2016 during one such occasion:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...abe890f571.png

So, my best guess is that this is not a new idea from the current Hyatt loyalty team, but instead a long planned change that they've delayed for quite some time so as to not overwhelm people during the WoH transition from Gold Passport.

txhyattlvr Oct 19, 2018 4:38 pm

This makes zero sense to me... P+C helps properties with low occupancy put some heads in the beds. It’s a way to offer a sale price without actually offering one, creating price match issues, etc...

I assume these are the (otherwise-would-be) Priceline/Hotwire rooms and suspect the revenue from P+C is better than what they would get from Priceline or Hotwire (and WOH members love it which creates a win/win). This change will likely cause P+C bookings to plummet thereby eliminating a tool available to the properties with low occupancy...

Again... don’t get it.

beachfan Oct 19, 2018 4:43 pm

Cam someone share the appropriate email address to register my displeasure over the no-notice aspect of the change

gengar Oct 19, 2018 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 30334400)
Cam someone share the appropriate email address to register my displeasure over the no-notice aspect of the change

I'd probably wait until the change is actually announced. This is only rumored for now.

beastieb Oct 19, 2018 5:42 pm

A quick google search will give you the Hyatt CEO's email address.

craigthemif Oct 20, 2018 8:43 am

Save the pitchforks for the official announcement - if it ever comes - and the amount of notice provided at that time...

GUWonder Oct 20, 2018 9:00 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 30336163)
Save the pitchforks for the official announcement - if it ever comes - and the amount of notice provided at that time...

No good reason to hold back the criticism for later. Hyatt’s going ahead with loyalty program devaluations and won’t reverse course for the masses of customers in this environment, so there is no harm by criticizing the devaluations before and after another program devaluation of sorts.

craigthemif Oct 20, 2018 9:08 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 30336212)

No good reason to hold back the criticism for later. Hyatt’s going ahead with loyalty program devaluations and won’t reverse course for the masses of customers in this environment, so there is no harm by criticizing the devaluations before and after another program devaluation of sorts.

So now we're emailing the CEO based on rumour? The most likely result is a witchhunt to find (and fire) whoever leaked the rumour.

As far as Flyertalk is concerned, of course there will be massive over-reactions. That's what FT is here for.

But, hey, instead of just making some speculative P&C reservations, let's all go nuts so that the announcement is rushed forward. (if there is truth to the rumour)

GUWonder Oct 20, 2018 9:10 am

Originally Posted by lighthouse206 (Post 30334386)
This makes zero sense to me... P+C helps properties with low occupancy put some heads in the beds. It’s a way to offer a sale price without actually offering one, creating price match issues, etc...

I assume these are the (otherwise-would-be) Priceline/Hotwire rooms and suspect the revenue from P+C is better than what they would get from Priceline or Hotwire (and WOH members love it which creates a win/win). This change will likely cause P+C bookings to plummet thereby eliminating a tool available to the properties with low occupancy...

Again... don’t get it.

I think P+C bookings’ inventory are aimed at a somewhat different market segment than “blind” booking inventory of the sort that Hotwire and Priceline sell.

Is any of the distressed inventory that comes to Hotwire/Priceline for “blind“ bookings a product of bulk buyers’/OTA’s reselling inventory they (the distribution wholesalers/OTAs) themselves don’t see themselves selling? Either way, an increase in the price of P+C bookings won’t bothet the hotels one bit, for they are positioned to want it — at least in the current environment.

GUWonder Oct 20, 2018 9:13 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 30336242)
So now we're emailing the CEO based on rumour? The most likely result is a witchhunt to find (and fire) whoever leaked the rumour.

As far as Flyertalk is concerned, of course there will be massive over-reactions. That's what FT is here for.

But, hey, instead of just making some speculative P&C reservations, let's all go nuts so that the announcement is rushed forward. (if there is truth to the rumour)

The primary massive over-reaction on FT comes in the form of criticising criticisms of anti-consumer moves by the loyalty program owners/operators and of criticizing consumers lawfully pursuing the consumer’s best interests. ;)

Hyatt loyalty program management’s been in program devaluation mode for quite some time, so there is no better time to complain about devaluations than before the next devaluation. ;)

gengar Oct 20, 2018 10:37 am

Folks, this rumor isn't even from a source within Hyatt. It's silly to complain about completely unconfirmed rumors - and even more so, to complain about lack of notice before a change is even announced.

txhyattlvr Oct 20, 2018 10:37 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 30336260)

The primary massive over-reaction on FT comes in the form of criticising criticisms of anti-consumer moves by the loyalty program owners/operators and of criticizing consumers lawfully pursuing the consumer’s best interests. ;)

Hyatt loyalty program management’s been in program devaluation mode for quite some time, so there is no better time to complain about devaluations than before the next devaluation. ;)

Oh lord not this again. You were attempting to argue that cutting the number of Diamonds/Globs while actually INCREASING the value of the services provided to those that remain is a devaluation in the same league as what the others have done. It isn’t.

IF this comes to pass then yes this will be a real devaluation.

txhyattlvr Oct 20, 2018 10:43 am

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 30336544)
Folks, this rumor isn't even from a source within Hyatt. It's silly to complain about completely unconfirmed rumors - and even more so, to complain about lack of notice before a change is even announced.

And I continue to question the business argument behind making this change. P+C as it exists is a benefit to those properties that choose to offer it. Nobody forces them to offer it so why take it away from them?

Now offering a new form of P+C... say “P+C Plus” (or something) sounds more plausible.... and would give the properties more options.

gengar Oct 20, 2018 10:57 am

Originally Posted by lighthouse206 (Post 30336572)
And I continue to question the business argument behind making this change. P+C as it exists is a benefit to those properties that choose to offer it. Nobody forces them to offer it so why take it away from them?

Now offering a new form of P+C... say “P+C Plus” (or something) sounds more plausible.... and would give the properties more options.

I agree that it's a nonsenical change for many reasons. I just think that e-mailing complaints to the Hyatt CEO about it is premature.

skj Oct 20, 2018 11:26 am

Hyatt used to avoid these types of rumor and speculation by announcing changes to the Gold Passport program well in advance of their effective date. This gave members plenty of time to make plans under the then current terms and avoid any last minute surprises. This has changed. Hyatt now announces changes essentially at the time it implements them, or sometimes retroactively, if they bother to announce them at all. Hyatt also appears to think that disseminating program updates via bloggers is an effective way of communicating with its members. Given its recent practices, it's absolutely appropriate to react to these types of "announcements", at least until Hyatt denies them via some official channel.