FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   [CONFIRMED] Points and Cash Devaluation Coming 1 November? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1936373-confirmed-points-cash-devaluation-coming-1-november.html)

GUWonder Oct 23, 2018 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 30347963)

with more upfront points needed for pure point awards this may also reduce speculative bookings

Hyatt isn’t doing this to reduce speculative award bookings. Hyatt seems to be hoping to sell more points (to point hoarders) and gain more by devaluing more of those sold points. In other words, it’s about encouraging more speculative point purchases.

hailstorm Oct 23, 2018 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 30347530)

Confirmed again.

This kind of devaluation with little/no honest advance notice has become so typical of Hyatt with how it does things.

I remember when they would give about a months notice for such changes. The overwhelming sentiment was gratitude towards Hyatt for at least being forthcoming. Guess they no longer need to extend goodwill anymore.

mnredfox Oct 23, 2018 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 30347530)

Confirmed again.

This kind of devaluation with little/no honest advance notice has become so typical of Hyatt with how it does things.

And the email was spun as an enhancement.

hailstorm Oct 23, 2018 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 30348246)

Which is fooling nobody.

(Deleted Twitter link. Comment was a bit too spicy)

txhyattlvr Oct 23, 2018 4:22 pm

Certainly not a welcome a change but hardly surprising in this economic environment. Now let's see what other devaluations come down the pike... I'm betting aggressive pre-selling of discounted room upgrades/suites so as to basically eliminate the Globalist suite upgrades on arrival....

The only thing that will change all this is a good old fashioned recession.... assuming Hyatt isn't forced to sell/merge.

Mthorn82 Oct 23, 2018 5:27 pm

I used the C+P alot with the 5K to 8K locations. A lot of times if I was low on points I would be able to snag up a cheap room for say in Mt.Laurel NJ for around $45 with the 2500 points on a 5K location and usually on a weekend when I visit the area to visit my relatives and friends. Just need a place to fall sleep was fine but now with the new system I could see that being a lot more with the 50%. They should def give the higher Explorist and Globalist some sort of reduction on that maybe 30 and 20%.

MarkP24 Oct 23, 2018 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 30348196)
I remember when they would give about a months notice for such changes. The overwhelming sentiment was gratitude towards Hyatt for at least being forthcoming. Guess they no longer need to extend goodwill anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwcJNsoY50E

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 30348246)

They definitely should have given more advance notice.

There were some enhancements to the current program, but it's certainly not an overall enhancement....

Mthorn82 Oct 23, 2018 5:52 pm

I voiced my opinion on a CS email that hell even Best Western Platinum status might be worth trying to use now lol.

westlaker Oct 23, 2018 5:54 pm

This devaluation is designed to make the hotel owner happy at the expense of frequent guests. I am worried about more devaluation coming in 2019.

txhyattlvr Oct 23, 2018 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by westlaker (Post 30348620)
This devaluation is designed to make the hotel owner happy at the expense of frequent guests. I am worried about more devaluation coming in 2019.

True BUT this might also cause more hotels to open up inventory...

OsakaWino Oct 23, 2018 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 30347197)
a trivial increase in the nightly "cash" component by buying half the points needed on a standard award from WOH at the current $0.017 rate vs. the defunct points+cash rate plan.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4824e15406.jpg

not even valuing all the incremental benefits of standard awards including last room availability, free parking for globalists, waived resort fees for kettles.

I'm not sure I would call an increase of up to 42% "trivial". On the other hand, there is very non-trivial benefit of no T&S charges, so assuming I have the pts, I will certainly be looking a bit more at all-pts vs,P+C.

Colin Oct 23, 2018 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by OsakaWino (Post 30348712)
I'm not sure I would call an increase of up to 42% "trivial". On the other hand, there is very non-trivial benefit of no T&S charges, so assuming I have the pts, I will certainly be looking a bit more at all-pts vs,P+C.

of course only half of the award cost increased by the indicated percentage.
the initial points component is flat.
so, the worst case is a 21% increase, similar to a hotel shifting up one category.
the change doesn’t destroy the value of WOH

GUWonder Oct 24, 2018 2:26 am

.... and yet the cash component of the upcoming, devalued P+C redemption arrangement may increase by far more than 21% over the current cash component element — in some cases the cash component element may be subject to something more like a 210+% increases over the current, pre-devaluation arrangement for P+C.

zack14 Oct 24, 2018 5:32 am

Very disappointing news.

christianj Oct 24, 2018 6:00 am

I thought the program was on the up again with some positive enhancements since they gutted it with the introduction of WOH a couple of years ago. Guess NOT! One step forward...two steps back.