Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Residence Presentation - Offensive comment where to report?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG

My husband and I just got back from the Hyatt Residence Club in Maui. We were there on the package that required the sales presentation, which we attended. During the presentation the sales associate explained that the purchase would be deeded property. So we could hold the property as “husband and wife...is that what you call it?” My husband and I are a same-sex married couple.

In hind-sight I should have gotten up and asked for a manager at that time. But we were on vacation and I didn’t. However I do think this needs to be reported so that there is some sensitivity training done for this. Who should I reach out to?

Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I agree, that is quite insensitive and uncalled for. Sounds pretty snarky. (on a perhaps related/unrelated note, when I lived in Hawaii I was surprised at how many 'evangelical fundamental christians' I encountered. Hawaii was the only place I have been where a doctor at a secular clinic 'prayed' over me before a standard outpatient medical procedure and where a taxi driver preached to me for the entire taxi ride. And I've lived most of my life in Oklahoma. It's definitely one of those states with a very diverse political and religious culture despite its national reputation).

I don't know who you reach out too, but why not straight to Hyatt Corporate. The sales manager needs to know how not to be a d**k.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:59 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Agreed that this should be escalated. I’m not sure what the control that corporate Hyatt has over the timeshare business, but the Maui one definitely seems to have a close relationship with the hotel.

You should have also told them at the end of the sales pitch that you were no longer interested in doing business with them because of their offensive remark. Having interacted with time share salespeople in the past, I am sure that would have gotten their attention!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Reach out to the Hyatt Concierge on Twitter and ask for the appropriate channels. Awful behavior.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:12 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dw
Agreed that this should be escalated. I’m not sure what the control that corporate Hyatt has over the timeshare business ...
We did a timeshare sales presentation on Maui last week too. I don't have all the paperwork with me (I'm on another trip) but I recall the Residence Club is owned by a developer and the sales people are employed by the developer and are not Hyatt employees. I'd look at the fine print in your offer letter or perhaps one of the emails regarding your offer to get the name of the owner.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MarkOK
I agree, that is quite insensitive and uncalled for. Sounds pretty snarky. (on a perhaps related/unrelated note, when I lived in Hawaii I was surprised at how many 'evangelical fundamental christians' I encountered. Hawaii was the only place I have been where a doctor at a secular clinic 'prayed' over me before a standard outpatient medical procedure and where a taxi driver preached to me for the entire taxi ride. And I've lived most of my life in Oklahoma. It's definitely one of those states with a very diverse political and religious culture despite its national reputation).

I don't know who you reach out too, but why not straight to Hyatt Corporate. The sales manager needs to know how not to be a d**k.
Why do you assume it is snarkiness instead of being uninformed? A lot of it would depend on the way he or she said it.

BTW and FYI, "not to be a d**k" is sexist.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by JackE
BTW and FYI, "not to be a d**k" is sexist.
No, it isn't.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:51 pm

No it isn't.

As for the original comment, I would check with the timeshare management because I'm not sure how connected hyatt management really is with that.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SF1K
My husband and I just got back from the Hyatt Residence Club in Maui. We were there on the package that required the sales presentation, which we attended. During the presentation the sales associate explained that the purchase would be deeded property. So we could hold the property as “husband and wife...is that what you call it?” My husband and I are a same-sex married couple.

In hind-sight I should have gotten up and asked for a manager at that time. But we were on vacation and I didn’t. However I do think this needs to be reported so that there is some sensitivity training done for this. Who should I reach out to?

" My husband and I .." is what you wrote and " sales associate explained that the purchase would be deeded property. So we could hold the property as “husband and wife..." is what you said the presenter said. I dont get it sorry. I would understand it if he said ... So we could hold the property as male and female..."

Im out of the loop and dont mean any disrespect, but would your husband use those exact words as well when describing the 2 of you," My husband and I" which would mean there are 2 husbands and no wives in the relationship. Or would they say My wife and I? If you both would say My husband and I, is that something every same sex married couple would say.

would it be wrong to mention that theres a church nearby with Sunday noon mass, w/o thinking that most likley there are many folks who are of another religion or no religion at all. Now if the presenter said that as a slight thats a whole different matter meaning he didnt want those who practiced a different religion buying in, or in your case he didnt want any same sex couples.Otherwise according to you he said what you said you were unless there isnt any "wife" in your marriage, and how is anyone to know that?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by craz
" My husband and I .." is what you wrote and " sales associate explained that the purchase would be deeded property. So we could hold the property as “husband and wife..." is what you said the presenter said. I dont get it sorry. I would understand it if he said ... So we could hold the property as male and female..."

Im out of the loop and dont mean any disrespect, but would your husband use those exact words as well when describing the 2 of you," My husband and I" which would mean there are 2 husbands and no wives in the relationship. Or would they say My wife and I? If you both would say My husband and I, is that something every same sex married couple would say.

would it be wrong to mention that theres a church nearby with Sunday noon mass, w/o thinking that most likley there are many folks who are of another religion or no religion at all. Now if the presenter said that as a slight thats a whole different matter meaning he didnt want those who practiced a different religion buying in, or in your case he didnt want any same sex couples.Otherwise according to you he said what you said you were unless there isnt any "wife" in your marriage, and how is anyone to know that?
Out of many potential context, there's never a need to reference a male partner as a wife. Possibly with airquotes and a wink, but I don't believe that was the case here.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Out of many potential context, there's never a need to reference a male partner as a wife. Possibly with airquotes and a wink, but I don't believe that was the case here.
as i said I meant No Disrespect and really im coming from the side of ignorance as it pertains to same sex couples both married and not married, and both male or both female.. I assumed from the little contact Ive had and how Ellen called her SO her wife (I believe or at 1 time did). That in both sets of 2 males or 2 females there is a husband and a wife. It could be some refer to themselves that way while others dont. But imo as long as some same sex couples do refer to themselves as H & W then the presenter wasnt out of line , unless he is against same sex couples

ive done my share of TSs and the only thing I ever thought a presenter was interested in was for me to buy a unit or 2 so they make their $$$ and wouldnt do or say anything to prevent that from happening. and all I was interested in was staying long enough to be able to get the Gift and getting out of there ASAP
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Between family members and friends, I know well a solid baker's dozen gay and lesbian couples (and through them, of course I have met many more couples). I don't know any same sex couple that in any way refers to themselves as husband and wife. Always as 'husbands' or as 'wives' for same sex male and female couples respectfully. Perhaps some do, but I don't know of any in my sample size. The presenter said "husband and wife.....is that what you call it?". Rolling that around in my head, I can't make it quite sound like it would be anything but some sort of snark. At best, I can make it sound like a sales pitch slip up and a failure to recover in any appropriate way, which still merits some sort of training and correction. The OP reports feeling offended, that is enough evidence to me that says that somehow this should get reported so that the salesperson learns how to represent Hyatt and be more respectful.
cestmoi123, janehoya and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MarkOK
Between family members and friends, I know well a solid baker's dozen gay and lesbian couples (and through them, of course I have met many more couples). I don't know any same sex couple that in any way refers to themselves as husband and wife. Always as 'husbands' or as 'wives' for same sex male and female couples respectfully. Perhaps some do, but I don't know of any in my sample size. The presenter said "husband and wife.....is that what you call it?". Rolling that around in my head, I can't make it quite sound like it would be anything but some sort of snark. At best, I can make it sound like a sales pitch slip up and a failure to recover in any appropriate way, which still merits some sort of training and correction. The OP reports feeling offended, that is enough evidence to me that says that somehow this should get reported so that the salesperson learns how to represent Hyatt and be more respectful.
Thx for explanation!

If a person doesnt ask they cant learn and will remain ignorgant
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you correct the agent?
I bet we all occasionally make some ignorant or insensitive remarks without realizing it.
bbbb likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Defending

This is an indefensible comment. Plain ignorant. But most importantly, did you buy it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.