Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz San Diego and Orange County Hyatt Regency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Intercontinental Ambassador, Delta

Looking for any recent Globalist experiences at these properties. Specifically, how they were at room upgrades? I have reservations booked for next month, and trying to decide if I need to use suite upgrades or if they are likely to give an upgrade.

Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I've had pretty good luck at OC. (My first SD Andaz stay is next month).

But your best chance for an upgrade is when rates are low because that means demand is low. Simple as that.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: La Quinta Elite IHGSPIRE HH Diamond BW Diamond Hyatt Diamond
I have always been upgraded at OCHR. However, I never stay at that property during Summer. Sorry I can't help you. The only advice I have, if you want to save money, there is street parking near the apartments in the area. It's a little bit of a walk though.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
There is usually some kind of upgrade at OC HR for Globalists. However, the upgrades aren't usually really anything to write home about unless you are just interested in or need more beds (many of the upgrade suites have bunk beds or a kid bed in addition to the king bed). The rooms/suites are pretty utilitarian and dated compared to many of the renovated/newer hotels in Orange County. Rates at HR OC are often very competitive, though.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:48 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I don't have experience with the Andaz San Diego as I have never wanted to stay there based on inadequate noise/sound proofing
Especially an issue on weekends in the Gaslamp where folks party well into the night
I've heard the hotel is nice otherwise and they now have a branch of STK the steakhouse nightclub chain that has since finally opened
https://sandiego.eater.com/2018/7/13...amp-restaurant

My friend was hired to manage it and left after waiting a few years to grand open it.Apparently there were huge delays in opening it

I have for many decades stayed at the Manchester Grand an excellent Hyatt with very good recognition and a solid lounge
by North American Hyatt standards
The hotel in recent years has been exceptionally generous to me when I have stayed there in every regard
I give a slight nod too Hyatt Mission Bay with nice breakfasts at the Red Marlin
Some miss the Regency Club since its closing but I don't as it was too small with inadequate poor quality cost cutting offerings

Hyatt Regency OC is unique in that they have a great globalist breakfast where you can order off the menu and or off the buffet
The team is very friendly and I go out of my way to stay there when I can .My go to hotel in the area since Hyatt Irvine closed
The hotel also has a VIP coordinator who usually reaches out to me before arrival letting me know Ive been upgraded and asking if I have any requests before arrival.Highly recommended.
Years ago they were a poorly run 3rd tier hotel today they take their guests and customer service seriously enough
I've been in most the VIP suites there and standard suites over the years
Bottom line solid choice especially when the rate is reasonable especially for Globalists.
I've never needed to confirm a suite as they have always upgraded me.Peak occupancy or high season may be another story
If you stay at Andaz let us know your thoughts and experience
Cheers
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I have stayed at the Andaz and the Manchester Grand and both were good but I do like the Andaz Suite. The noise doesn't bother me too much. I have stayed at Mission Bay, and also like the Red Marlin, but the rooms not so much. I may just go ahead and apply the suite awards, since they expire in December and I won't likely have many more longer stays. If I get a chance, I'll see if I can find out how the Andaz generally allocates Globalist upgrades, and report back on the stay.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Btw a question - I have five nights on a pre-paid cash rate at the Hyatt OC, and then one night of points and cash. Will that be difficult to apply a suite upgrade to, or will the Twitter Hyatt Concierge be able to handle it? Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:02 am

White noise machine at Andaz San Diego. I slept quite well in the awesome bed.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:05 am

I just posted the photo because some guests are concerned about noise. I had an exterior room in summertime. Bedside also had two sets of earplugs. I always bring my own anyhow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.