Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Place Delano

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
Hyatt Place Delano

This is a new property that just opened in February. If you have to be in the area, this is not a bad place to stay. Good breakfast with eggs everyday and the meat rotates between sausage and bacon.

Location is next to Delano Marketplace which has Walmart and lots of fast food.

You will hear and feel when the trains pass by. My room had 2 queens and sofa sleeper. Bathroom was shower only, no tub.

24 hour gym but the pool and jacuzzi were closed during my stay.
JackE likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
One thing going for it......

Category 1

I can not think of a worse location.....between train and auto traffic.....in a most pathetic town. Of all the places in the central valley to raise their flag, this is it? I'd have a bit more respect if they had placed the hotel away from the highway/tracks. It's not like this land is highly priced.

Eggs.....you're kidding.
59Impala likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
It's an amazing value for Category 1. It won't be long before it jumps up. This is possibly the best redemption value in California now that HP Santa Cruz jumped two categories.

It's just off the freeway in a retail area, so it's very convenient, and there is no denying that it is a clean, modern HP. But it's not a resort and doesn't pretend to be. Even though I stayed there, I saw very little of Delano. I can't confirm or refute your opinion of the town, but it doesn't matter because as a guest you're staying not far off the freeway. BTW, I did not find an objectionable amount of freeway noise, though maybe my room was facing away from it.
hawaiiansports likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:12 am

I just wrapped up five days here. The location is several miles south of downtown Delano; it is adjacent to a mall that has a WalMart, Big 5 Sporting Goods, dd's discount, Armed Forces recruiting office, IHOP, Taco Bell, McDonalds, frozen yogurt place, Panda Express, Dollar Tree, UPS Store, check cashing place and a couple of other not-very consequential businesses. Home Depot and a gas station across the street. Yes, the train tracks and highway 99 are right outside the east-facing windows. My west-facing room was quiet-enough, at least with the loud HVAC on. The fitness center is nice, though one machine remained broken throughout my stay; 24 hours, as noted above. The HVAC is set to come on only above 78 degrees and below 60 degrees, so the temperature can be a little uncomfortable; this is in keeping with the energy-efficient theme of the entire hotel. (Turn on the power in your room with a key card.)

Breakfast is pretty typical Hyatt Place. There are some "specials", Tuesday through Friday (make-it-yourself breakfast burritos), but standard fare Friday-Monday. If you show up at opening (6:30AM on weekdays and 7:00AM on weekends) they may not be open/ready; this morning, there was cereal and bread out, but nothing else until 6:50AM. Late mornings - 9:00AM Sunday - were pretty crowded (no surprise) and much of the food was gone by 9:10AM (open until 10:00AM). "Oatmeal takes thirty minutes to make, so..."

Hotel employees were nice, competent in what little I asked them to do (that isn't meant to sound negative). Overall, I'm happy to have a "nice" (for South Central Valley) hotel option. Bakersfield, 30 miles south, and Fresno, 80 miles north, don't really have much, and certainly no Hyatts.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Bakersfield, 30 miles south, and Fresno, 80 miles north, don't really have much, and certainly no Hyatts.
I drove by the HP Fresno construction site a few days ago. All floors looked to be framed and work looked to be progressing nicely.

The Fresno HP should be open in early 2019.

It is one of about 6 new hotels from different brand portfolios already under construction in Fresno/Clovis with another half dozen properties moving thru approvals with the 2 cities right now.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by FATFlyer
I drove by the HP Fresno construction site a few days ago. All floors looked to be framed and work looked to be progressing nicely.

The Fresno HP should be open in early 2019.

It is one of about 6 new hotels from different brand portfolios already under construction in Fresno/Clovis with another half dozen properties moving thru approvals with the 2 cities right now.
Oh, that's good to know! Both from a Hyatt standpoint and just from a more-rooms-in-Fresno standpoint. My husband travels there frequently, and the HGI and Courtyard are often sold out.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Used a cat 1-4 cert to stay one night this week. Brilliant! Final day to use cert before expiration date. That, plus using their cheapo facial tissue hurt. Nice enough staff, but it's a cheaply built and operated HP. Patel or cousin ownership. I'm thinking where I've stayed in new Hyatt Places....Portland ME (cheap) Reno (solid) Roseville (solid) Boise (solid enough). The old AmeriSuites seem more consistent to me. At least I walk in with lower expectations.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Delano where? I was thinking that this was Miami Beach, next to the iconic hotel of the same name.
keisari and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:38 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Delano where? I was thinking that this was Miami Beach, next to the iconic hotel of the same name.
Delano, CA... north of Bakersfield
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by hedoman
Used a cat 1-4 cert to stay one night this week. Brilliant! Final day to use cert before expiration date. That, plus using their cheapo facial tissue hurt. Nice enough staff, but it's a cheaply built and operated HP. Patel or cousin ownership. I'm thinking where I've stayed in new Hyatt Places....Portland ME (cheap) Reno (solid) Roseville (solid) Boise (solid enough). The old AmeriSuites seem more consistent to me. At least I walk in with lower expectations.
It's not the Park Hyatt Aviara, but I did not get the impression it was cheaply built (other than the land).
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Nice enough staff, but it's a cheaply built and operated HP. Patel or cousin ownership. I'm thinking where I've stayed in new Hyatt Places....Portland ME (cheap) Reno (solid) Roseville (solid) Boise (solid enough). The old AmeriSuites seem more consistent to me. At least I walk in with lower expectations.
Well, I finally had a chance to stay at this new Hyatt Place, and "cheaply built" is accurate. These people cut corners everywhere a corner could be cut. Hard to believe this can be flagged as a Hyatt Place.

The rooms are small, really small. How small? There is no wet bar area, so all that counter space is gone. There is no counter in the tiny bathroom, only the lip around the sink, so that counter space is gone too. I have stayed in other HPs with that sink before, but those were in much larger rooms with space elsewhere. These rooms are so small that there isn't even room to place that end table (with the blanket) next to the couch. Instead it has to go over by the bathroom door. Which means if I sit on the couch there is no place even to set my Coke can.

The amount of noise coming in through the HVAC vents was really intrusive, and I did NOT have a room on the freeway side. I could hear every "beep, beep" of a truck backing up outside. I stay in a lot of hotels so I think I am a good judge of an acceptable level of quietness in the room, and this was bad. The room was completely unusable to get any work done in the room.

Some people complain the old Amersuites conversions had small rooms. Well, I've stayed in those but I've never seen a HP with rooms as small as this new one. Essentially, this is a Holiday Inn Express, but with the horrible Hyatt Place breakfast.

I read this article and now I think Delano is how bad new HPs will be:

Hyatt Place Launches New Features

"including one room prototype that’s 15 percent smaller than existing standard rooms."

The article sounds like the braintrust running Hyatt believes they can lessen the construction costs, take out the carpeting and offset it with bigger TVs and other such bullcrap. Ever stayed in a hotel room without carpeting? It's loud.

So this is worse than just one bad HP. Hyatt is going to start building new hotels with these unusable rooms, and eventually I'll have to write off HPs, because otherwise I'd have to research each HP beforehand to make sure it does not have these new rooms.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:49 pm

As always, YMMV. TripAdvisor reviews are 10-to-1 highly favorable. But there's always that 1 in 11.

Originally Posted by jn in ca
Well, I finally had a chance to stay at this new Hyatt Place, and "cheaply built" is accurate. These people cut corners everywhere a corner could be cut. Hard to believe this can be flagged as a Hyatt Place.

The rooms are small, really small. How small? There is no wet bar area, so all that counter space is gone. There is no counter in the tiny bathroom, only the lip around the sink, so that counter space is gone too. I have stayed in other HPs with that sink before, but those were in much larger rooms with space elsewhere. These rooms are so small that there isn't even room to place that end table (with the blanket) next to the couch. Instead it has to go over by the bathroom door. Which means if I sit on the couch there is no place even to set my Coke can.

The amount of noise coming in through the HVAC vents was really intrusive, and I did NOT have a room on the freeway side. I could hear every "beep, beep" of a truck backing up outside. I stay in a lot of hotels so I think I am a good judge of an acceptable level of quietness in the room, and this was bad. The room was completely unusable to get any work done in the room.

Some people complain the old Amersuites conversions had small rooms. Well, I've stayed in those but I've never seen a HP with rooms as small as this new one. Essentially, this is a Holiday Inn Express, but with the horrible Hyatt Place breakfast.

I read this article and now I think Delano is how bad new HPs will be:

Hyatt Place Launches New Features

"including one room prototype that’s 15 percent smaller than existing standard rooms."

The article sounds like the braintrust running Hyatt believes they can lessen the construction costs, take out the carpeting and offset it with bigger TVs and other such bullcrap. Ever stayed in a hotel room without carpeting? It's loud.

So this is worse than just one bad HP. Hyatt is going to start building new hotels with these unusable rooms, and eventually I'll have to write off HPs, because otherwise I'd have to research each HP beforehand to make sure it does not have these new rooms.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by JackE
As always, YMMV. TripAdvisor reviews are 10-to-1 highly favorable. But there's always that 1 in 11.
That is easy to explain: location, location, location. There is literally no other choice in Delano except a very tired Holiday Inn. I've seen Motel 6s get better ratings than Westins for the same reason. Your attitude pretty much mirrors the (very nice) staff's: we're the best thing in town.

Sure, but this not the best-thing-in-Delano forum. This is the Hyatt forum, and this is not a Hyatt Place except in name. I'd like to think my review could serve as a warning to other members.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by JackE
This HP gets a high rating because it is new. Also, most people not so critical and happy with whatever is served to them.. I'll ask the front desk or manager if anyone ever comments on the sandpaper like toilet/facial tissue. Hardly anyone ever comments, they just accept an inferior product. I see more hotels going this route because few say a word and the hotel saves twenty three cents per room per day.

Finished a second one night stay here this week. Very nice hand written note waiting for me in room along with two bottles of water. Nice touch for a returning guest. Plus, no conversation about room location. They had my preference in their notes.

Nonetheless, this is a CHEAPO HP in soooo many ways.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:00 am

This HP gets a high rating because it is new. Also, most people not so critical and happy with whatever is served to them.. I'll ask the front desk or manager if anyone ever comments on the sandpaper like toilet/facial tissue. Hardly anyone ever comments, they just accept an inferior product. I see more hotels going this route because few say a word and the hotel saves twenty three cents per room per day.

Finished a second one night stay here this week. Very nice hand written note waiting for me in room along with two bottles of water. Nice touch for a returning guest. Plus, no conversation about room location. They had my preference in their notes.

Nonetheless, this is a CHEAPO HP in soooo many ways.
Isn't being a return visitor pretty much the definition of accepting their product?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.