Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Great Scotland Yard Hotel, London REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Great Scotland Yard Hotel, London REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by lily23
I just checked my reservation, King Bed is 23 sq m. Oh well, used Hyatt points, so pretty happy I won't have to pay cash rates and I think the location will be great for NYE =)
Hi lily, I also have a reservation on points stay at the Great Scotland Yard Hotel for NYE primarily because of its location. I was wondering if you might have ever spent New Year in London before and have any experience with it. My main concern right now is the accessibility of the hotel during the holiday and whether roads in the area might be closed off. Also have a backup reservation at the Intercontinental Park Lane just in case.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG RA, Globalist, ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by lily23
I just checked my reservation, King Bed is 23 sq m. Oh well, used Hyatt points, so pretty happy I won't have to pay cash rates and I think the location will be great for NYE =)
Originally Posted by achen24
Hi lily, I also have a reservation on points stay at the Great Scotland Yard Hotel for NYE primarily because of its location. I was wondering if you might have ever spent New Year in London before and have any experience with it. My main concern right now is the accessibility of the hotel during the holiday and whether roads in the area might be closed off. Also have a backup reservation at the Intercontinental Park Lane just in case.

This might be of interest to both of you ... you need a ticket to get down to the river front to see the fireworks - tickets went on sale today

https://www.london.gov.uk/events/201...fireworks-2019

h/t HeadforPoints
achen24 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by EmeraldLady
This might be of interest to both of you ... you need a ticket to get down to the river front to see the fireworks - tickets went on sale today
Thank you! I would have totally missed this and tickets probably would have been sold out. Not that positive I will join the masses for this but for £10 its good to just have it as a backup.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by achen24
I have spent Hogmanay in Edinburgh (which is also amazing), but this will be my first time in London for NYE! I'm sure there will be some road disruption, but I would imagine the hotel would still be very accessible by tube.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EmeraldLady

https://www.london.gov.uk/events/201...fireworks-2019

h/t HeadforPoints
Thanks for the tip! I did manage to get tickets, albeit not for the blue zone which sold out very fast. I also read that there might be giant screens up in Trafalgar Square showing the fireworks too - also wasn't too sure I want to brave the crowds and huddle outside in the cold so its a nice backup option.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:46 am

I don't know if the hotel has high floor bar or restaurant. If it does I would expect you to get a reasonable view of the fireworks.

The hotel is unique for London in that its next door to the Met Police Horse stables so you will get to see, hear and perhaps smell horses during your stay. Its also of course just across from Horse Guards with their own stables.

Another tip, if you want to go inside the Houses of Parliament you can do for free if your going to observe the House of Commons or House of Lords sitting or one of their committee sitting. Details are available at www.parliament.uk and yes the url is right as its one of the few .uk only url's. If Parliament isn't sitting there are pay for tours most days except Sunday. Finally anyone in London October 14th its currently planned to be the State Opening of Parliament, the parade of carriages and mounted guard is worth seeing from Whitehall or the Mall.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by flapland
I don't know if the hotel has high floor bar or restaurant. If it does I would expect you to get a reasonable view of the fireworks.

The hotel is unique for London in that its next door to the Met Police Horse stables so you will get to see, hear and perhaps smell horses during your stay. Its also of course just across from Horse Guards with their own stables.

Another tip, if you want to go inside the Houses of Parliament you can do for free if your going to observe the House of Commons or House of Lords sitting or one of their committee sitting. Details are available at www.parliament.uk and yes the url is right as its one of the few .uk only url's. If Parliament isn't sitting there are pay for tours most days except Sunday. Finally anyone in London October 14th its currently planned to be the State Opening of Parliament, the parade of carriages and mounted guard is worth seeing from Whitehall or the Mall.
Awesome tips, thank you! I actually will be in London the weekend of Oct 11th and had no idea about the parade so this will be very cool to check out =)
Markie and flapland like this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 3:24 pm

More details on state opening of Parliament.

https://www.royal.uk/state-opening-parliament

Note if you want to watch it from Whitehall you need to be between Parliament Square and Horseguards. The route doesn't include the top end of Whitehall.

If dry might be busy so do arrive early and do expect to have your bags checked so don't come with lots of items.

Its not often you get you items of the Crown Jewels in their horse drawn carriage with full ceremonial mounted guard.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:00 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Just been told opening is delayed to 3 December 2019
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:00 pm
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by Markie
It is amazing how on relatively short notice opening dates are postponed.
I was looking forward to my October stay next weekend. Anyways, I was offered a great alternative option at The Churchill
Markie likes this.

Last edited by 59Impala; Oct 22, 2019 at 10:12 am Reason: typos
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:37 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 59Impala
It is amazing how on relatively short notice opening dates are postponed.
I was looking forward to my October stay next weekend. Anyways, I was offered a great alternative option at the Churchill
Likewise. I'd imagine the delays are costing GSY a pretty penny.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond; HHonors Dia; Langham Voyager; Marriot & SPG Gold; UA Gold; AA Plat
Originally Posted by Markie

@ Markie, could you elaborate on whom it was that told you this?
Old Oct 27, 2019, 9:23 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by yoganeck
@ Markie, could you elaborate on whom it was that told you this?
The GM's Assistant.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:08 am
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
As mentioned earlier, I was moved to The Churchill (had a perfect stay btw). I walked by the Scotland Yard hotel this weekend. Looks ready from outside, but I did see workers on a Saturday near the side entrance.

The location of the hotel is simply great!
Here a couple of pics:

Last edited by 59Impala; Oct 28, 2019 at 12:15 am
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
I've heard that the delay in opening is not due to construction related issues, but that there are still negotiations going on between Hyatt and the property owner with regards to the agreement (and specific clauses).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.