Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Switching from IHG to Hyatt, poor experience so far

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching from IHG to Hyatt, poor experience so far

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Never had a fire alarm go off in any hotel, ever. Pretty sure you are extremely unlucky here and it's unlikely that this string of incidents would continue.

Slow internet, on the other hand, may continue if you stay at the same properties, unless you were unlucky and they had five youth soccer teams stay while you were at the HP and the kids were all streaming youtube videos 24/7.

If you primarily stay at limited service properties (HP, HH), you won't really see any elite benefits come your way and it will feel like IHG. If I had a choice between a HIX and a HP, I would book purely based on price and location convenience.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Only time I've had a fire alarm go off in a hotel was in the Sheraton St. Louis, which is no longer a SPG property. Never in a Hyatt stay to my recollection. Do have to admit that I would not expect IHG hotels to have better wi-fi than Hyatts, especially the hotels that would be in a similar tier to HP's (which would be HIs and HIEs.) Wonder if OP has had some bad luck so far.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I've had a few fire alarms in my 500+ nights at Hyatt House and Hyatt Place. Hotels whose rooms have a microwave, oven, and/or stove are going to yield more alarms than the average hotel. Just reality.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by tkelsay
Yes, unfortunately this current client is on the outskirts of Atlanta and there really aren't a lot of nicer hotel options, most of them are the lower-tier brand. There's a few holiday inns, courtyards, hampton inns, double trees, HP/HH, and some others scattered in. There is a Hyatt Regency, it's one of the Regency's without a club unfortunately but it still looks nice from the pictures; however, I wasn't planning on staying there without status as then I'd have to tack on an extra expense of breakfast and the hotel is already priced quite a bit higher than the others in the area. When you add up the higher rate, paying for breakfast, and $10/day parking fee, I wouldn't be able to justify the large difference per night to the client.

Based on this client and my next one lined up, I do think a majority of my stays through June will be at HP/HH. However, the fact is that these stays would almost surely be at another low-tier hotel from one of the other major hotel chains. Therefore, I am somewhat running my comparison between the low/mid-tier hotels for work travel and then I plan to spend my personal travel (either via points or cash) at the higher end hotels that the brand offers.

Ultimately, I decided to leave IHG because the benefits were non-existent when traveling to Intercontinental's on points or on my own dime - they don't recognize Spire elite at Intercontinental so aside from the extra points earning and some other minor things, I didn't feel like Spire was benefiting me at all.

Overall I think the few Hyatt's I've stayed at aren't necessarily that bad of properties.. the HH building is new, the gym is large, and the indoor pool is nice. However my experiences at these hotels in just a few stays has been less than what I expected from Hyatt - fire alarms, broken stationary bike, crawling wifi, grumpy staff, etc.. And I'll be the first to say that IHG hotels, in particular Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Expresses, are extremely inconsistent and quite frankly some are garbage, however there is one nearby my current location that is quite new and has great facilities and fast wifi.

I have reached out to Hyatt via email 2 days ago and I am awaiting a response. I would like to keep giving Hyatt my business because I think the elite program is enticing and is exactly what I am looking for when I travel on personal time (suite upgrades, free parking, resort fees waived, etc.), but if my experience doesn't improve soon then I'm close to just cutting it and giving another brand a shot, perhaps Hilton or Marriott.

I appreciate all the responses from everyone, it has helped me get some perspective of what I should expect at these properties and with Hyatt in general. Thanks.
When Hyatt devalued their program last year, I totally gave up on HP/HH and started booking the cheapest comparable properties in the area that I was working in (if Hyatt was the cheapest, I did still book them however). What I found was that Wyndham is an excellent program with myriad properties worldwide, but they are especially ubiquitous in the US. Sure, it doesn't have the luxury properties like Hyatt, but it beats them completely domestically, where I have been saving, on average, 20% on room rates, and have found no reduction in quality from HP/HHs-I don't usually book the lower-tier Wyndhams unless I am in a very remote location and there is nothing else.

Wyndham has tons of points promos and a high earn rate. In addition, they have these Go Fast awards that allow me to get very high cash price rooms near conventions/events for peanuts using points and cash. For instance, at one trade show, the lowest cash rate for the Wyndham that I was staying at was $170- per night because of the associated trade show but, by using Go Fast awards, I was able to book 30 room nights for multiple staff and myself for 3K points (worth $33-) + $45- plus tax, or all-in for around $83- per room night. This saved my company around $2,700- for this one trade show. The adjacent HP was priced at $183- per night and wouldn't allow point redemptions during the trade show, so I couldn't exploit the 5K per night rate and use up some of my Hyatt points.

My primary program for international stays is Hilton, and I have been very well served by sticking with them-I did 72 international nights with them last year and 20 domestically. In addition, I added Starriott to my loyalty programs and have done well as a Gold internationally but, frankly, it's nothing special in the US, although it is superior to Hyatt Explorerist. To be fair, I did still get 43 nights at Hyatt properties last year, and they are good internationally, but my suite upgrade rate really plummeted, so there is really no value in the TSUs for me.

Good Luck!

Last edited by zombietooth; Mar 9, 2018 at 3:33 am
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:47 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by zombietooth
What I found was that Wyndham is an excellent program with myriad properties worldwide, but they are especially ubiquitous in the US. Sure, it doesn't have the luxury properties like Hyatt, but it beats them completely domestically, where I have been saving, on average, 20% on room rates, and have found no reduction in quality from HP/HHs-I don't usually book the lower-tier Wyndhams unless I am in a very remote location and there is nothing else.
I'm glad that someone is finding good use from the Wyndham program. I've used them in the past. IME it was a matter of "Good News, Bad News".

Good News: You won a free night at any Wyndham property!

Bad News: It's at a Wyndham property!

I was not aware of their Go Fast feature and will look into that. Thanks for posting.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
I made a conscious decision this year to give up Hyatt after 3 years as Globalist. There are just not enough Hyatt's around to keep it without going to HP or HH, they are just awful.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
The two fire alarms is very unfortunate, but I wouldn't blame the hotel at all for that. We were in the Hyatt Regency Mexico City during an earthquake last year and had to run down 21 flights of stairs as the building swayed...it never occurred to me to complain about that. Although once they let us back in the building, a free drink for everyone in the lobby bar would have been a nice gesture! I guess you've already sent your email to corporate, but I would not have mentioned the fire alarms. What can they do if a guest (or even an employee) does something to cause the alarm?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Starwood, Hilton, Ihg, Delta, Iberia, American, Southwest
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
I'm glad that someone is finding good use from the Wyndham program. I've used them in the past. IME it was a matter of "Good News, Bad News".

Good News: You won a free night at any Wyndham property!

Bad News: It's at a Wyndham property!

I was not aware of their Go Fast feature and will look into that. Thanks for posting.
Wyndham has just 2 or 3 properties over 300 dollars per night. Really difficult to take a good benefit of the free night.
Professional travelers use to pick between Hyatt, IHG and Hilton depending of countries and properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.