FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Blackout dates? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1891355-blackout-dates.html)

hanly2 Jan 30, 2018 2:48 pm

Blackout dates?

I thought that I read that Hyatt does not black out dates for reward nights, but it seems that the hotel that I want to stay at says that they are not offering award stays for the night I want. This is for the Bellvue in Philadelphia.
"Unfortunately, this hotel is not accepting World of Hyatt points or award during those dates. Explore our other rates or modify your search."

Dsm2m2 Jan 30, 2018 9:07 pm

Most likely there is just no standard room availability during the dates you are looking at.

CloudCoder Jan 31, 2018 6:32 am

Originally Posted by hanly2 (Post 29359232)
I thought that I read that Hyatt does not black out dates for reward nights, but it seems that the hotel that I want to stay at says that they are not offering award stays for the night I want. This is for the Bellvue in Philadelphia.
"Unfortunately, this hotel is not accepting World of Hyatt points or award during those dates. Explore our other rates or modify your search."

I thought each hotel could have a certain number of days per year where they declare it a "special event" and they can black out awards? e.g. Indy 500, or Kentucky Derby, or Super Bowl, or a big convention, etc.

jameswes Jan 31, 2018 7:49 am

There are some hotels that also add a "minimum stay" requirement for award nights.

Looks like the "1 King" and "2 Queen Beds" are their standard rooms. Which dates are you looking for?

#1 - Check your dates to see if the "1 King" or "2 Queen Beds" are available the nights you're looking at: (I just used a random date in the future; 9/14-9/21).
* If not, then there is legitimately no award availability.
* If Yes, proceed

#2 - Check to see if you do a longer stay (4 days, 7 days) if the award availability pops up
* If yes, then book the longer stay and then DM @HyattConcierge and ask them to drop the longer dates
* If it still doesn't show up, then contact someone at Hyatt (Here on FT, Twitter, etc).

Tokyoite Jan 31, 2018 7:50 am

----edit----- @jameswes, you beat me to it.
Do you see standard rooms available on the dates you are looking for? That is a starting point.
The base rooms available for 15000 points are the "1 King Bed" room and "2 Queen Beds" room.
What dates are you looking at?

jacobguo Jan 31, 2018 9:59 pm

Also could be standard rooms only being available via fully prepaid rates.

Some hotels in Miami Beach are doing this for Ultra.

Ramonmv Feb 1, 2018 2:59 pm

I keep getting the same message at Andaz Maui. Is it possibly because I don't currently have enough points for the stay I selected? I tried 5 nights, 7 nights, various weeks in shoulder months...

jameswes Feb 5, 2018 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Ramonmv (Post 29368484)
I keep getting the same message at Andaz Maui. Is it possibly because I don't currently have enough points for the stay I selected? I tried 5 nights, 7 nights, various weeks in shoulder months...

Again, if you'd like help, it's *really* helpful if you include the dates you're looking for.

Unfortunately, Andaz Maui was one of the first (and worst) offenders in multiple ways:
- Significantly limiting the room types (and number of rooms) available for a "standard' award (both base and for Suite Upgrade).
- Adding nonsensical minimum stay requirements. Year round, not just Christmas - New Years.

Picking random dates:
10/18-10/23, no availability.
But, 10/18-10/31 has availability.
Looks like 10/18-10/28 is the magical range. So you need 250K points to make the 10 days reservation. Once you have the reservation confirmed, Twitter support should be able to manually remove the unwanted days.

So for reference: Andaz Maui (at least in October) has a 10 day minimum stay requirement for points.

Kacee Feb 5, 2018 10:48 am

Originally Posted by jacobguo (Post 29365093)

That's classic gaming of inventory, and they are not supposed to do it. There's a "hall of shame" thread listing properties that do this. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...available.html

antonius66 Feb 5, 2018 2:41 pm

Yeah bottom line here after boiling all this nonsense down to the salty remains is that the no blackout dates thing is a crock. Hotels pretty much choose if and when they allow awards.

Ramonmv Mar 9, 2018 9:13 am

Originally Posted by jameswes (Post 29381866)
Again, if you'd like help, it's *really* helpful if you include the dates you're looking for.

Unfortunately, Andaz Maui was one of the first (and worst) offenders in multiple ways:
- Significantly limiting the room types (and number of rooms) available for a "standard' award (both base and for Suite Upgrade).
- Adding nonsensical minimum stay requirements. Year round, not just Christmas - New Years.

Picking random dates:
10/18-10/23, no availability.
But, 10/18-10/31 has availability.
Looks like 10/18-10/28 is the magical range. So you need 250K points to make the 10 days reservation. Once you have the reservation confirmed, Twitter support should be able to manually remove the unwanted days.

So for reference: Andaz Maui (at least in October) has a 10 day minimum stay requirement for points.

I didn't have any particular dates in mind. I think I looked at September, because that's when I usually go. 10 night minimum is crazy. Do-able, but crazy that they require it. I stayed there 5 night, the first time I went. 2 free nights (from signing up for Hyatt card) and 3 on points.

JackE Mar 10, 2018 1:28 am

Originally Posted by jacobguo (Post 29365093)

That would still be no good excuse because they could simply implement prepaid, nonrefundable point redemption.

TerryK Mar 10, 2018 1:37 am

Originally Posted by jameswes (Post 29381866)
.....So for reference: Andaz Maui (at least in October) has a 10 day minimum stay requirement for points.

Originally Posted by Ramonmv (Post 29504574)
......10 night minimum is crazy. Do-able, but crazy that they require it.....

There are reports that you can book 10 nights then call up and cut it down to actual desired number of nights. Of course, this only works if you have enough points available for 10.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...ndaz-maui.html