Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Are Grand Hyatts allowed to close lounges due to low occupancy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Grand Hyatts allowed to close lounges due to low occupancy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by RTW1
When a lounge closes they offer breakfast in the restaurant...... you are out of luck for the evening offerings though, and no points as compensation anymore.
Are you sure they are required to offer restaurant breakfast to explorists if the lounge is closed? (I assume a David's wife was using a Club upgrade).

I suspect they would return the upgrade if the club is closed for the entire stay and call it a day. Which of course it isn't; my selection of a Hyatt might have been heavily influenced by the lounge access.
OsakaWino likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
The hotel should not be selling club room rates if that is the case.

If it happens after a reservation is made, it would be the hotel's responsibility to contact the guest. In my opinion, the guest should have the option of changing to a lower room rate, a no penalty cancellation (or refund if prepaid), or some other alternative arrangement agreed upon as an acceptable substitute for club access.
The OP said that the lounge was closed due to low occupancy (or at least that is what the property told them), in which case the decision might not have been made that far in advance. If the guest was only informed at checkin, I would consider the only appropriate compensation to be appropriate F&B credit corresponding to the normal lounge offerings.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
They did not offer a breakfast and just returned the club upgrade. We actually were left holding 3 of those upgrades (worthless now that she's Glob) due to clubs being closed. Part of why I view explorist as an absolutely worthless level. Also, since she's made glob she's been test driving Marriott and their lounges are apparently the best she's ever experienced. I'm a Hilton guy and in my experience Hilton lounges are far superior to Hyatt as well.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Are you sure they are required to offer restaurant breakfast to explorists if the lounge is closed? (I assume a David's wife was using a Club upgrade).

I suspect they would return the upgrade if the club is closed for the entire stay and call it a day. Which of course it isn't; my selection of a Hyatt might have been heavily influenced by the lounge access.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Indeed, I was told about the lounge closing at check in. In my case, I wasn't paying extra for a club level room as I'm a Glob, but the existence of the lounge and their supposed conditions did very much influence my choice of hotel.
notquiteaff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.