Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Gift Card fraud

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:49 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ElPresidente
So this Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme

Should be expunged from the internet?
If it's on FT then it needs to observe FT terms and conditions. But since it's on FT then, no, it does not need to abide by FT rules.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sam_goh
There are likely thousands of outstanding cards out there using this compromised numbering format, making it a cost prohibitive challenge to replace them all. Hyatt's current "return policy" is merely triage. Regardless, making it any easier to hack those by posting information in public on how to do it is at foolhardy. Think about all the time you wasted already on your own cards, now imagine the method leaking and all the other people getting screwed?
Hyatt rep immediately recognized a card as OLD when I was reading the number. Digits 9-12 identify them as older type.

Found out it was purchased in 2008.

Hyatt's policy is pretty clear though that if not directly purchased from THEM, they are not going to help you. I managed to with persistent callbacks, find out when it was purchased, and when it was redeemed. Without a Hyatt receipt I cannot find out where it was spent.

Cardcash are so far giving me a runaround. "Well it was theoretically in your POSSESSION at the time it was spent so.....". Sending them my Hyatt bills and stay records..... well I guess their argument is I could have checked into some hotel in Paris or whatever using another Hyatt account or none at all, so what does that prove?

Takeway:

Any GC with PIN null or 0000, check balance and spend immediately.

YMMV.

I wouldn't even purchase one direct from Hyatt at this point, too much risk and hassle.

Last edited by ElPresidente; Sep 15, 2017 at 12:00 pm
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
If you're within the 45 day CardCash guarantee, it shouldn't matter if they were in your possession... If they were not, there would be no need for a guarantee.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
If you're within the 45 day CardCash guarantee, it shouldn't matter if they were in your possession... If they were not, there would be no need for a guarantee.
Well yeah they are eventually going to process my refund. But first it took a bunch of email go-arounds. Last thing was I had to send a letter to the LEGAL department stating:

I WILL NOT COPY, ALTER, OR MAKE USE OF THESE CARDS.

I've spent far more time investigating this on my own than makes financial sense, because it's enlightening.

I can see how they are in a difficult spot to prove anything if both seller and buyer claim they got ripped off. I guess they can pull the money back from the seller, but what if they fight that? Cardash have no standing to investigate and sort out the facts of the matter. More importantly the manpower to fight over table scraps. The more I think about it, resale of gift cards seems a REALLY tricky business when it comes to refunds.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:26 pm

Most people here stopped purchasing them a while ago when Hyatt started requiring proof of purchase from them before refunding.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Cardcash now has new Hyatt gift cards for sale. Are these subject to the same contamination concerns?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:27 am

Yes. Hyatt won't replace them if you don't buy them directly from them
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:30 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Just went to unload 1700. 1250 went through no problem, but one $450 card I used was down to $100.15

No help from customer service.

So bizarre. They can tell me when it was used... certainly not lined up with stays on my account.... but they either can't or won't tell me where it was used. So...... they are saying I'm a liar, that I used it. That there is no way it could be used without it in my possession even though it happens all the time to people.

Lame.

I believe I have the receipt from the actual purchase, but don't know if that'll do me any good. Thinking Safeway or Lowes.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:14 am

I had the actual receipt, but it was from MyPoints when they were being offered as a reward. I don't know if they'll accept a receipt from a 3rd party any longer.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I too stopped buying Hyatt GCs from resellers and even Hyatt.

What I want to know is how is it that Hyatt hasn’t yet cleaned up this mess? What other retailer of its size has had in recent time such a mess with their gift cards?

It seems other retaileris have largely ‘figured out’ how to deal with GCs. How is it that Hyatt hasn’t yet? It really puts the whole operation in to question. (See second Hyatt hacking in the past two years for more evidence that something is wrong with Hyatt and security)
Old May 2, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
reached the right department

Last edited by yevlesh2; May 2, 2019 at 3:41 pm
Old May 2, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are buying this with a credit card right?

Complain to the seller. If the seller does nothing, charge back on CC.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
I didn't buy them recently . Redeemed some Chase Amazon Visa points for 10 cards way back in 2016 before they devalued. Still had 4.5 cards left. Anyway, after a lot of bouncing around and HUCA, got someone who is familiar with the problem that these gift cards have and is handling it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.