Wiki Posts
Search

The Term 'Globalist'

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Term 'Globalist'

I think we've all been a little surprised by World of Hyatt's choices for elite status level names.

But now they might really have a problem.

Here's a quote from Axios:

Why it matters, as Axios' Jonathan Swan reported earlier, Bannon has told associates Breitbart is his "killing machine" and that he's ready to go "thermonuclear" with the "globalists" upon his exit from the White House.
(source: https://www.axios.com/bannon-is-back...474568863.html )

There was the diet pill called Ayds and the payment network called Isis. I'm thinking Globalist will be joining those terms in the graveyard.

Unsolicited suggestions for a replacement?
Brendan likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm thinking Globalist will be joining those terms in the graveyard.

Unsolicited suggestions for a replacement?
Diamond has a nice ring to it!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Diamond has a nice ring to it!
Agreed, I always tell staff that I prefer Diamond to Globalist. Most get it and concur that the new tiers are moronic.
LuxTravel, sdadept and Isochronous like this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 12:04 pm

I refuse to say Globalist when dealing with Hyatt in any form. Emails to my PL rep, on phone, at check in, anything...Diamond.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 12:11 pm

I completely agree. In this climate, Globalist has become a 'touchy word' of sorts and Hyatt really should take a serious look into changing it.
Isochronous likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I like the term globalist just fine, I prefer it to 'jewelry' and 'metallurgy' titles anyways which is confusingly used across other hotel programs, airlines, credit cards, etc for totally different sort of programs. Travel reward programs using travel-related terms seems natural, even if WOH is the only ones really doing so.

Breitbart likes to use the word "globalist" as a way to attack others, and you know why? Because "Globalists" in many right-wing circles has been more or less a euphemism for "Jews" for decades, perhaps a century now. I would prefer that WoH just ignore them.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I think we've all been a little surprised by World of Hyatt's choices for elite status level names.

There was the diet pill called Ayds and the payment network called Isis.
Sure, and Aids is a terrible disease and Isis is a terrorist network.

Globalists, even the way Brietbart uses it and tried to define it, is neither.
LowValueCustomer and Zhaunk like this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
The problem is we are being brainwashed by both the left and the right. Things become political because self-centered activists need attention.

My point is that "Globalist" is a stupid name because it is politically charged, but SJWs could start whining that "Diamond" is a trigger (as in "blood diamond").

The fact is that Hyatt cannot back down from it's political choice and obviously doesn't want to. A lot of members are voting with their feet. Their choices are not very important in the high occupancy of this vibrant economy. Hyatt will sorely miss them when the business cycle changes. The silver lining will be bigger promotions and lower room rates.
jacobguo and Brendan like this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkOK
I like the term globalist just fine, I prefer it to 'jewelry' and 'metallurgy' titles anyways which is confusingly used across other hotel programs, airlines, credit cards, etc for totally different sort of programs. Travel reward programs using travel-related terms seems natural, even if WOH is the only ones really doing so.

Breitbart likes to use the word "globalist" as a way to attack others, and you know why? Because "Globalists" in many right-wing circles has been more or less a euphemism for "Jews" for decades, perhaps a century now. I would prefer that WoH just ignore them.
Or they could just change it to "Cosmopolitans."
Brendan likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
not to mention "Ivory".
Old Aug 19, 2017, 5:31 pm

I don't care about the political connotations of the term, I just think it is absurdly stupid sounding. Of course, not as bad as the not-even-a-real-word terms like Explorist and Discoverist, as evidenced by the red squiggly lines I get by even typing them.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Or they could just change it to "Cosmopolitans."
The drink or the magazine?
Brendan likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:40 pm

The way the right wing denigrates the term 'globalist' just isn't something worth paying attention to to me. As JackE says, its about self-centered right wing activists trying to get attention for their political cause.

As for the terms, I think they are all just fine, though explorer and discoverer make more sense than the fake words explorist and a discoverist which are fake terms like antonius says. But I like the names better than gold/platinum/diamond/ruby and the other stale 'jewelry' names out there. Maybe it is because I don't actually value metals and gemstones -at all- and so I feel pretentious claiming statuses with the terms. Discover, Explore, and Global I can better relate to. Not to say that Globalist needs to be the term, others would work (adventurist, voyager, globetrotter, etc), but changing it because Steve Bannon wants to make it a dirty word is just dumb.

As for WoH, I like, perhaps LOVE, the new tier system. Perhaps the old 25 stay/25 night fake diamonds get mad, but I stay at Hyatts more often now that my 30-40 night a year travel (7-9 stays or so) mean more and get recognized on equal grounds as the frequent overnight traveler. As a mid-often traveler, WoH is giving more perks than the competition, and more than their old system, so you vote with your feet, I vote with mine.
LowValueCustomer and Brendan like this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: Korean Air Morning Calm, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus and IHG Spire Ambassador
I've really warmed to the new names; plus, the explorist tier enhances the program by filling in the gap.

What I disliked was the WoH launch commercial which I believe is misinformed by stereotyping certain types of people as 'misunderstood' or needing more awareness.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
The upside to "Globalist" is if you are an "Explorist" or even not even that, you can in all honestly claim to be a "Globalist" at a property if that's what your politics are.
Brendan, MikeFromTokyo and Zhaunk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.