Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Zilara/Ziva Cap Cana Dominican Republic REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 59Impala
More detailed information on Ziva and Zilara can be viewed here and are up to date. Such as restaurant menus, further hotel information, cabana reservations etc:

Zilara: https://zilaracapcana.resortsbyhyatt.com/
Ziva: https://zivacapcana.resortsbyhyatt.com/
Print Wikipost

Zilara/Ziva Cap Cana Dominican Republic REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:16 pm
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by SawBo
Thanks, from what I've read there's no noteworthy upgrades aside from Master Suites and Swim Ups since all room sizes are the same.

Is there a bluetooth or some sort of speaker in the rooms? I know it's against the rules or whatever to bring one to pool but I would like one for the room when I'm chilling.

I'm also seeing Secrets Cap Cana is down the street, I have 7 Nights in Cap Cana with 1st night booked at Ziva then 5 Nights book at Zilara with the last day booked at the Marriott near airport for the shuttle.

Would it be crazy (or even possible) to shorten my booking to 4 nights at Zilara/Ziva then 3 Nights at Secrets Cap Cana? It's offpeak all 3 final nights at 21K + the 3 nights offer from Hyatt for 5K bonus points would net about 58K for 3 nights or 19.3K a night.
I don‘t recall a bluetooth speaker in the room. Some guests did bring a speaker to the pool. I found it disturbing. And the concierge had to remind the guest to turn it off. The were mostly guests from Panama or Latinos from Miami (sorry to say…)

I guess it is a preference re switching. We would prefer to stay at the same. Place for the entire duration.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by SawBo
Thanks, from what I've read there's no noteworthy upgrades aside from Master Suites and Swim Ups since all room sizes are the same.

Is there a bluetooth or some sort of speaker in the rooms? I know it's against the rules or whatever to bring one to pool but I would like one for the room when I'm chilling.

I'm also seeing Secrets Cap Cana is down the street, I have 7 Nights in Cap Cana with 1st night booked at Ziva then 5 Nights book at Zilara with the last day booked at the Marriott near airport for the shuttle.

Would it be crazy (or even possible) to shorten my booking to 4 nights at Zilara/Ziva then 3 Nights at Secrets Cap Cana? It's offpeak all 3 final nights at 21K + the 3 nights offer from Hyatt for 5K bonus points would net about 58K for 3 nights or 19.3K a night.
good way to knock out a few places on the brand explorer.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala
i just checked via the wiki-link that I posted... and the cabanas are now 184$ through May 20. This is insane.
We were just there and it was $184 per day at the Zilara, but Globalists do get a 30% discount.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 2:40 am
formerly a193991
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by tcATL
We were just there and it was $184 per day at the Zilara, but Globalists do get a 30% discount.
that is still almost 130$, which is 30% more than before. That is still insane.

but apparently people pay this fee, so good for Hyatt… I for sure would try to negotiate via my MHC who has been amazing in many aspects.

Last edited by 59Impala; Jul 9, 2022 at 2:52 am
Old Jul 11, 2022, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Beechy
We have gone twice as globalist and were upgraded to Oceanview room and given Club access. Oceanfront would have been nice, but we really don't spend much time in the room. Looking forward to going again next year. Enjoy !!
Did you have to reach out to the resort preemptively for the upgrade? Or was this done at the front desk when checking in? I appreciate your time, thank you.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by soojin
Did you have to reach out to the resort preemptively for the upgrade? Or was this done at the front desk when checking in? I appreciate your time, thank you.
We reached out to the hotel for the list of Globalist benefits and it stated an upgrade. Have a great time !!
Old Jul 23, 2022, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Originally Posted by Beckles
Every room at the hotel is at least a Junior Suite, usually the standard room redemption is in 'Junior Suite King' and then the standard suite redemption is a 'Resort View Junior Suite' or 'Ocean View Junior Suite'. Every room at this hotel has a balcony that faces the ocean, no label or resort view just means the view is compromised (but they are at least on the second floor, all ground floor rooms/suites are swimouts). The additional points needed for a 'suite' redemption don't give much added value, especially for a Globalist that will likely get at least an Ocean View Junior Suite no matter what.
Yeah, running into this issue a lot at Cap Cana. It's really disingenuous and is a way to charge more for the room during peak periods. They dont' want to play by the seasonality pricing of 21-29k, and just automatically up it to 36k/40k/44k, bc people will pay it. Running into a situation right now where I'm trying to book for a week over the Holidays -- just can't figure out how many total points are needed (and what I'll need to transfer from Chase). I'd be fine if this rate was for swim up or ocean front or master suites, but this just irked me.

Reaching out to WoH MHC to try to get more visiblity into what I need to book - also vented to her about this practice at Cap Cana -- I know this will get me nowhere, but it made me feel better And she's been a pretty great concierge, so maybe she will pound some heads.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 5:29 pm

The additional adult fee on awards reservations has now increased from $150 to $180. This is interesting because it is not reflected in the difference in cash rates moving from two adults to three adults, which has traditionally been, and is currently, $150.

In response to the above, I disagree. I think it is reasonable for a hotel to designate particular rooms as base, and thus, awards eligible, and others as premium, requiring an upsell. Just because a property can and will upgrade people to potentially open up more base room availability, it does not mean they should have to. From a business perspective, it limits their ability to otherwise sell these rooms for cash. The Alila Ventana Big Sur is probably the posterchild for this behavior, and no one laments not being able to book the Big Sur Spa Suites for base rates. There has also been no indication that the Ziva/Zilara Cap Cana engages in excessive and egregious room differentiation to limit awards availability, something which has been reported at the Hyatt Regency Monterey, Park Hyatt Aviara, and Alila Marea Beach Resort Encinitas.

You indicate you are having trouble booking base awards during the holidays, that is unsurprising. What is surprising is not knowing how much the room will cost, it should be listed, no?
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by MidnightEnnui

You indicate you are having trouble booking base awards during the holidays, that is unsurprising. What is surprising is not knowing how much the room will cost, it should be listed, no?
I wasn’t able to get a total cost for the stay, as I didn’t have enough points. It’s a minimum 7 night stay, so wasn’t able to search one night at a time.

Realized after the fact that I could use the award calendar for standard suites to see the nightly rates. During the week we aim to go, a standard resort view jr suite ranges from 36-44k per night.

I get that it’s an inventory management tactic, and at least they’re offering award availability at any rate. Just hate to see it be the identical room being sold at a “standard suite” rate as “standard room” rate.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:50 am
formerly a193991
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Au4882

Realized after the fact that I could use the award calendar for standard suites to see the nightly rates. During the week we aim to go, a standard resort view jr suite ranges from 36-44k per night.
Just be aware, that the calendar view does NOT show availability, it only shows the required points, should there be availability.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 10:29 am

Tipping?

This might be a stupid question, but how does tipping work at Cap Cana?

Do we need to tip everyone with USD?

Also, I’m getting emails about the VIP Fast track at PUJ. I’m assuming this isn’t really needed because $150 seems steep.

Thank you for your time.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 1:40 pm
formerly a193991
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soojin
This might be a stupid question, but how does tipping work at Cap Cana?

Do we need to tip everyone with USD?

Also, I’m getting emails about the VIP Fast track at PUJ. I’m assuming this isn’t really needed because $150 seems steep.

Thank you for your time.
When the brand was announced it clearly stated gratuities are included. That sentence vanished. Actually everything is included.
But considering I am well off, and they were struggling during the pandemic (we visited twice), I left the following tips

5-10$/day at the club pool
5$/day at the ice cream/coffee parlor.
5$/meal at the buffet restaurants and other restaurants. If service really exceptional I gave 10$
50$ spread over the stay for the butler (12 day stays)
housekeeping sporadically, cannot remember the amounts.
we took 500$ in 5$ bills to tip. That was sufficient.

Staff were so grateful and we continued to receive excellent service.
I also brought Swiss chocolate to distribute, which was a highlight too, in order to show appreciation.

Airport VIP. No experience. In our cases/circumstances I would not have seen any advantage though.
levilevi likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala
Just be aware, that the calendar view does NOT show availability, it only shows the required points, should there be availability.
Noted -- thanks. Looking at 292k for 7 nights over New Years. Unfortunately, the airfare is just unreasonable, and much higher than Mexico and elsewhere in the Caribbean. So attention now shifts to the Mexico properties. ZIva Riviera and the Dreams properties open... hoping Ziva CUN opens, but no dice so far.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:18 pm

Planning to visit at the end of sept with my 6mo and wifey. Does anyone know what sections are off limits on the Zilara side (since we are traveling with a kid)? We are most def not partying, just going to the sister hotel for additional food options.

Thanks

Last edited by doctorslothmd; Jul 26, 2022 at 8:23 pm
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by doctorslothmd
Planning to visit at the end of sept with my 6mo and wifey. Does anyone know what sections are off limits on the Zilara side (since we are traveling with a kid)? We are most def not partying, just going to the sister hotel for additional food options.

Thanks

I believe 100% would be off limits on the zilara side with a child (no matter the age).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.