Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pay to upgrade room type?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Pay to upgrade room type?

My fiancé and I are changing plans last minute for our honeymoon. We have an all-inclusing 8-night stay in Cancun booked currently with a cash rate of $8842 out of pocket. I got a new job and will be moving and could really use the cash in our pockets for moving expenses so we are changing to book Hyatt Papagayo in Costa Rica. We have over 375k ultimate rewards points to be transferred and will be flying to to Costa Rica on July 18th-26th. The resort shows only King standard rooms available with Hyatt points but we would really like to book the suite room since we are taking a large downgrade on our resort quality from Cancun as it is. The total stay is 120,000 Hyatt points so we have 260,000 UR left after to play with. I also don't mind spending a few hundred dollars per night to upgrade if cash is an option.

I suppose my question is, is there any way to upgrade via cash or points to a higher level room with Hyatt than is advertised as available for that night? (No status with Hyatt)

thanks!!
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:17 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

There is no option to book a suite with points only... but there is the option to upgrade with points on a paid stay, that might be your best option since rates here are pretty decent.

Contact the property directly to see what they are willing to offer. If you are willing to spend some cash most properties will offer something. Cash upgrades then normally also are offered.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is the OP sure that the Cancun all inclusive place is fully refundable with no cancellation fees? What about plane tickets? Other tourist activities that might have been booked, including airport transportation?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RTW1
There is no option to book a suite with points only... but there is the option to upgrade with points on a paid stay, that might be your best option since rates here are pretty decent.
Are you sure?

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...s_eg_woh3up_en

Category 4 should be able to book Suite at 24k points per night (Subject, of course to standard suite availability). With that--you would have to call WoH to book.

With that--I would agree that it is worth also contacting the property directly to see what type of upgrade options with cash might be available--can help you better judge if the points is a good value or not.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
Are you sure?
You are right... it seems to be an option I see very little about in the T&C's...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.