Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

What's the point of the Hyatt credit card for current Globalist?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold

I'm asking earnestly.

I'm up to my eyeballs in free night awards that are going to expire, so more free nights isn't such a perk at the moment. Moreover, the free nights don't count for qualification, and I'm just scraping by to get to 60 as it stands (projecting 51 at the moment).

The bonus categories are okay, but Chase Bank has better bonus offerings. And I'm actually happily earning Citi Prestige points at those bonus categories.

Why wouldn't they want to incentivize top tier elites to hold and retain the card?

Thought bubble: for Globalists with the Hyatt card, award nights count as qualifying. Wishful thinking, I know. But this would drive value for me and remove some of my stress at finding nine more paid nights with Hyatt. (Guess it's thanksgiving at the in-laws... sorry mom)
Old May 7, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
I'm in the same position that you are. The Hyatt Visa is really not worth using anymore. I guess I'm keeping it in hopes they'll enhance it sometime soon.
Old May 7, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by stvr
I'm asking earnestly.
I use it to get the 3x points on Hyatt stays, and for nothing else. I haven't really done the math, but assuming $8k Hyatt spend per year, that's 24k Hyatt versus 8k Amex MR which is what I'd get otherwise (I try not to use a million cards for business expenses), and I think the point differential more than justifies the fee, although maybe not by a huge margin.
Old May 7, 2017, 6:19 pm

The free category 4 night each year is worth the $75 to me. I'm not globalist, but I think that's pretty much the value of the card across the board.

3x Hyatt doesn't matter much to me, especially when you can earn 3X UR on the CSR and have the flexibility of Hyatt or a bunch of other partners.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Stvr, if the Cat 4 isn't worth $75 to you, you're better off dropping the card.

The only other benefit to keeping the card is Discoverist, which gives you Pearl at MLife. Pearl at MLife gives you free self-parking.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
The free category 4 night each year is worth the $75 to me. I'm not globalist, but I think that's pretty much the value of the card across the board.

3x Hyatt doesn't matter much to me, especially when you can earn 3X UR on the CSR and have the flexibility of Hyatt or a bunch of other partners.
Lucky for you to be under 5/24 and able to get the CSR. Since I'm way over, I really value 3x Hyatt on the card.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:48 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
It's amazing that anyone off the street who gets the Hyatt Credit Card gets a free night expiring in a year. But a loyal top-tier customer gets a free night expiring in just four months. It certainly illustrates where Hyatt's priorities lie. "Possible New Customers" are worth three times as much as "Loyal Frequent Customers".
Old May 8, 2017, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Lucky for you to be under 5/24 and able to get the CSR. Since I'm way over, I really value 3x Hyatt on the card.
Well that was more theoretical, good point there on 5/24. I won't be under 5/24 for a long time. I value transferable points, so I tend to follow whatever is easiest for me to earn in quantity. Right now that's Citi TYP.

I keep the Hyatt card around for the annual night, since I routinely use it up here in Portland (Maine) during the summer months. Either for a staycation or if we have people coming to visit, we'll get a room and stay up with them over a weekend. It's "only" a cat 3 hotel, but it's saving me the $339 a night I would have otherwise spent.

I otherwise charge all of my Hyatt (and other hotel) stays to the Citi Prestige, mostly because I'm earning a lot of TYP with the ATT Access More card. If I were going back to UR, though, I'd probably use Ink to buy Hyatt GCs - those can code as 5X sometimes on Ebay (I think the seller needs to be Paypal Digital Gifts).
Old May 8, 2017, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
It's amazing that anyone off the street who gets the Hyatt Credit Card gets a free night expiring in a year. But a loyal top-tier customer gets a free night expiring in just four months. It certainly illustrates where Hyatt's priorities lie. "Possible New Customers" are worth three times as much as "Loyal Frequent Customers".
Even worse. Anyone off the street getting the Hyatt card will actually get 2 free nights anywhere after they hit the min spend, expiring in a year. The annual night costs you $75 (the annual fee).
Old May 8, 2017, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
More revenue for Hyatt.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
the only purpose is the 1 75/night certificate. the card is pretty worthless otherwise. I keep mine primarily for that and in hopes they do additional bonuses now and again for card holders as was common the past two years.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
- free night for the $75.00 annual fee
- 3x points at Hyatt
-..................uhhhhhhh that's about it.

BTW - I usually go to the bar and have a drink each night I'm on the road. If I put the drink on the Hyatt card I only get 2x points a night. If I put it on the room and then settle out.......I get 3x. Any one stumble into this or is it just me looking at my last stay (HR Vancouver)
Old May 8, 2017, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I'd buy free Hyatt Cat 4 nights at $75 all day long, so I'm happy to pay the annual fee. The IHG card is an even better deal, with a free night with no category restriction.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by The smallest state
- free night for the $75.00 annual fee
- 3x points at Hyatt
-..................uhhhhhhh that's about it.

BTW - I usually go to the bar and have a drink each night I'm on the road. If I put the drink on the Hyatt card I only get 2x points a night. If I put it on the room and then settle out.......I get 3x. Any one stumble into this or is it just me looking at my last stay (HR Vancouver)
That's standard. If it were an eligible charge, for example iced tea instead of Long Island iced tea, you'd get 8x plus any tier bonus.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:47 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PWMTrav

Agree X2.

Last year (as a GP Diamond) I charged over $40K on my Hyatt card.

This year $0. Chase Sapphire Reserve is getting all my travel dollars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.