Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

What's the point of the Hyatt credit card for current Globalist?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the point of the Hyatt credit card for current Globalist?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 4:04 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
In the same situation as others here. Right now, I'll keep it just for the free annual night, but given the 60 nights for Glob and that free nights don't count for status nights, it's kinda a mixed bag to keep the card.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
With all the free nights they are throwing around, you end up spending 65 nights at a Hyatt yearly. Insane.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by travelexpert
Agree X2.

Last year (as a GP Diamond) I charged over $40K on my Hyatt card.

This year $0. Chase Sapphire Reserve is getting all my travel dollars.
Agree x3
Old May 9, 2017, 8:26 pm

Rebate?

Two years ago if you had the Hyatt card you'd get 20% rewards points back during one of their promotions if you booked using points. Last year it was 10%. So if you plan to use any of your accrued Hyatt points this year and they run similar promitoon again, it would make sense to keep the card.

Of course there remains the problem with using points considering globalists still have to stay 55 eligible nights next year...As we all agree it sure would feel about the right time for Hyatt to award elite nights on award stays like all the other programs.
Old May 9, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, & PC
Originally Posted by travelexpert
Agree X2.

Last year (as a GP Diamond) I charged over $40K on my Hyatt card.

This year $0. Chase Sapphire Reserve is getting all my travel dollars.
Originally Posted by BobR
Agree x3

Agree x4 ^
Old May 9, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by mstrbldr
Two years ago if you had the Hyatt card you'd get 20% rewards points back during one of their promotions if you booked using points. Last year it was 10%. So if you plan to use any of your accrued Hyatt points this year and they run similar promitoon again, it would make sense to keep the card.

Of course there remains the problem with using points considering globalists still have to stay 55 eligible nights next year...As we all agree it sure would feel about the right time for Hyatt to award elite nights on award stays like all the other programs.
55 nights gets you year two of Globalist, but no TSUs. So I don't see it worth it unless I can get to 60nights next year too.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
If they run a similar promotion, I bet members can expect a points rebate following previous year's patterns:

2015 - 20%
2016 - 10%
2017 - 0%
Old May 13, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum

That type of rebate encouraged point burning. I suspect that point burning is NOT something that Hyatt wants to encourage this year - there's probably more than enough Hyatt point burning going on this year.
Old May 13, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by itsallgood
That type of rebate encouraged point burning. I suspect that point burning is NOT something that Hyatt wants to encourage this year - there's probably more than enough Hyatt point burning going on this year.
As long as there are unsold rooms, why wouldn't they appreciate point burning?
Old May 13, 2017, 6:19 pm

I'm trying to justify moving Visa spend from my Hyatt card to my Marriott card, but a Marriott point is worth so much less than a Hyatt point.

Fortunately, Amex is widely accepted and a Starwood point is worth more than either Hyatt or Marriott. Or, for that matter, Hyatt AND Marriott combined.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invalyd
If they run a similar promotion, I bet members can expect a points rebate following previous year's patterns:

2015 - 20%
2016 - 10%
2017 - 0%
Just to freshen up this thread, they did do the 10% promo this year again.

That, plus the free night award, keeps the card for me.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I have the Hyatt card for one reason only, the free night each year for Cat 1-4. The 3x points is a bad deal. I use Chase UR to accumulate spend as the UR points can be used to redeem at Hyatt but also give you flexibility to redeem for just about any travel related rewards so it doesn't lock you into Hyatt only to redeem.

Plus, UR has accelerated points earning, depending on categories. Earning 5x on dining out and movies right now is awesome. Then I can redeem those 5x points towards Hyatt if I wish. Makes Hyatt's card seem pretty lame other than the free night.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JackE
I'm trying to justify moving Visa spend from my Hyatt card to my Marriott card, but a Marriott point is worth so much less than a Hyatt point.

Fortunately, Amex is widely accepted and a Starwood point is worth more than either Hyatt or Marriott. Or, for that matter, Hyatt AND Marriott combined.
There really is NO reason to use the Marriott card. As you said, Amex is accepted everywhere and Starwood points convert to Marriott points at such a great rate. No to mention that Starwood makes 2x points at Marriott hotels which is equivalent to 6x Marriott points. However, it would just depend on where you want/need points. No reason to have a lot of Marriott/spg points if you stay mostly at Hyatt.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd

2015 - 20%
2016 - 10%
2017 - 0%
Extrapolating,

2015 - 20%
2016 - 10%
2017 - 0%
2018 - minus 10%
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:14 pm

Charges at Hyatt properties generate more points.

After they stopped providing bonuses and night-credits, I stopped using my Hyatt card in general, but I use it for my Hyatt stays. That and the anniversary night make it a great value. The now-very-occasional promos sweeten the pot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.