Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The struggle history of Park Hyatt?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

There are only 4 Park Hyatt in domestic USA. However, most Park Hyatt around the world looks like newly built in the last 8 year.

when I check FT I found there is quite some negative reviews and critics about this brand , about its consistency, and how bad it was in LA.

I just want to know, from WIKI, it looks like both Park and Grand Hyatt is introduced in the 80s.

Legacy and history is very important to a luxury one, since you can found many Mandarin, Conrad and IC or even Ritz Carlton with rich history and long operation time properties , I am curious is there many Park Hyatt properties closed and struggling in the Past? Even for New York city, such an important location for hospitality industry, Park Hyatt is just opening in 2014.

Is Park Hyatt DC opening as Park Hyatt Brand? Is this the first Park Hyatt in America?

Is Park Hyatt tokyo the first one in Asia?

Why there are so less long time operation and still opening for business Park Hyatt ?

For example, most Luxury chain landed in Bangkok 20 years ago and Park Hyatt just opens its door this year.

I am not trying to create a misleading title, I would guess I just watch too many New York Post or Fox news.

And why is Park Hyatt in some of its location feels undesirable?

For ex, Hamburg, Germany,dubai, Hangzhou Park Hyatt, the average rate is only $200 for a night . In Changbaishan, china, rated as 4 star in TA , very small gym and pool, .

Last edited by Vince Chan; Mar 31, 2017 at 9:20 am
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:35 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
According to https://about.hyatt.com/en/hyatthistory.html, the Park Hyatt Chicago was the 1st Park Hyatt and was opened in 1980. The Park Hyatt Washington DC was opened in 1986. There was a Park Hyatt in San Francisco from 1989 (or maybe it was 1990) to 2006 (the property is now the Le Méridien San Francisco.)
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
There was also the Park Hyatt Philadelphia.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:05 pm
Community Director Emerita

I find the OPs perspective that the Park Hyatt brand is struggling to be perplexing. I consider the brand to be the shining star of the Hyatt family. It has wonderful aspirational properties around the world. Whether it's Buenos Aires, Paris, London, Dubai or Shanghai, I'm delighted to have the opportunity to use suite upgrades and points to stay at these properties.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:37 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Park Hyatt's remain my hotel brand of choice in most cities where they're present. They've developed their own distinctive design features and service style that perfectly suit me.

They've certainly not grown recently like the St Regis brand or the Ritz-Carlton hotels, but neither do they suffer from the glitz and unreliability sometimes associated with the above.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Both the LA and SF PHs were more upscale (if that) than luxury properties. Philadelphia had some very nice touches, but was a bit rundown, and service was poor, when I stayed. I'd say the same thing about the Highlands Inn in Carmel.
As a general rule, I'd agree that the international PHs are superior, but not necessarily the best in town. There are other properties nearly everywhere that I think are better overall, and I particularly find the Toronto, Zurich and Hamburg PHs lacking. Now, a PH may well be better priced and offer better value for a f/k/a Diamond than, e.g., a Four Seasons, and that may well make it a better choice, but not necessarily the best in town.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hyatt Diamond SPG Plat Marriott Plat
I thought there are 5 PHs in US?

Chicago, NYC, DC, Carlsbad and Beaver Creek?

LA is getting a new one too. Can't think of any other US city getting a PH.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by rfrost
Both the LA and SF PHs were more upscale (if that) than luxury properties.
I liked LA better. SF was a smaller property and the street sounds would make their way into the room, although maybe that was a function of which room.

Let's just say that it takes a world of understanding to appreciate SF street sounds at 3 a.m.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:17 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I think the OP is making conclusions based on false data.

The Park Hyatt Sydney was built in 1990 and was the jewel in the crown for a very long time. It held the distinction of the highest average room rate in Australia, but still remains so in Sydney.

There is an aggressive growth strategy within Asia with many properties only built recently, but that does not mean the entire brand is young.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I find the OPs perspective that the Park Hyatt brand is struggling to be perplexing. .
Agreed. and I will also add that it seems clear that the OP has no understanding on how a hotel is built and what "flag" it will carry.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Vince Chan
In Changbaishan, china, rated as 4 star in TA , very small gym and pool, .
You went to Changbaishan in order to use a hotel gym, seriously?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: Amex MR, AA, HH, Chase Saphire
I think if you read enough reviews of anything, you're going to see enough negative opinions posted by some very particular travelers. PH Washington, as the OP says, is not up to par with some other PH properties we've stayed at (Vendome, Tokyo, Milan, NYC, Chicago), but its certainly a nice hotel with a great restaurant. One issue with social media and the modern day internet and information age is that its info overload and you gain access to information, reviews, blogger comments, etc., from people that may be judging the hotel based on thousands of stays at many many hotels and have developed very specific needs and tastes that make them comfortable or otherwise happy. Having said that, and respectful of all of those reviews, a normal or average traveler will experience luxury at any Park Hyatt that is above most hotels and of course our average lives.

We also have future stays booked at PH Sydney, Melbourne and Palma Mallorica. With plans to hit Toronto, Colorado, San Diego, Los Angeles when it opens and St. Kitts time permitting.

We're a big fan of the brand, luxury and level of service at any Park Hyatt.

Thats my two cents.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:13 pm

To note, the Park Hyatt Toronto does need a renovation. I think they're carrying it out.

I do hope to see PH to open more properties in the US. LA is returning. I believe that Park Hyatt also used to have a property in Carmel Valley? They've seem to shed a lot of lower-end quality hotels and resorts (Carmel in Big Sur, SF, LA, Johannesburg, ect.) in the last decade or so, and sort of "rebuilding." I was slightly disappointed that the Park Hyatt in New York wasn't laid out on the higher floors of the One57 building--it could of really been a special property.

Last edited by Shangri-La; Mar 31, 2017 at 11:41 pm
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neo_781
Agreed. and I will also add that it seems clear that the OP has no understanding on how a hotel is built and what "flag" it will carry.
And you do?

Is understanding this making you a better customer or better than other people? Sorry, I don't get what you trying to say,or is it new comer not welcome here? People should know everything when they enter this world of loyalty program?

Last edited by Vince Chan; Apr 1, 2017 at 12:28 pm
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:51 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Vince Chan
And you do?

Is understanding this making you a better customer or better than other people? Sorry, I don't get what you trying to say,or is it new comer not welcome here? People should know everything when they enter this world of loyalty program?
You're more than welcome, of course. But you also need to be welcome to the comments from those who don't agree with your assessment. It's a two way street!

Your title is designed to bring attention. If you didn't know that, you do know. BMW and Mercedes have a troubling history with the Nazi Third Reich, but that doesn't reflect a troubling product line today. You need to take care. No one sees Park Hyatt having a struggling history as you claimed.

Park Hyatt has more growth going on in Asia/Pacific, but that's true for most chains--since more growth is going on in that region! St. Regis also has tremendous growth in that region, focused more in China.

Hyatt is inherently a small chain than many of the others, so there are fewer PH representatives, too. That being said, there are new PH properties coming in many locations, including downtown Los Angeles, Auckland, etc.

Park Hyatt has many amazing top of the class properties--such as Sydney, Chicago, Buenos Aires, Shanghai, New York, Paris, Istanbul, etc. It also has a some disappointments, depending on whom you ask, not unlike most of the major luxury brands (PH Vienna service, PH Mendoza, PH Toronto, PH Aviara, PH Dubai, as well as StR Houston, FS Sydney, FS Austin, FS Toronto, FS Bev Wil, FS Westlake, FS Buenos Aires, MOs galore, etc).

Your discussion speaks to absolutes which aren't always accurate. Hence, you're getting some negative feedback...which is deserved, I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.