Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Courtesy Card changes with WOH

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Courtesy Card changes with WOH

Curious if any current members, or others with pertinent knowledge, know if the Courtesy Card program is undergoing any changes with regards to World of Hyatt.

We've all seen the benefits chart which included Courtesy Card and made it clear that the benefits are now quite similar to Explorer, with the exception of some minor pluses like a welcome amenity (can't believe they are nixing this from the Explorer tier); however, I am curious what the speculation may be on the potential changes to the qualification and requalification processes.

It's probably worth reminding everyone that the qualification criteria are technically unpublished, although many of us have our theories. That said, it would stand to reason that Hyatt at least considered changes to the program in tandem with changes to the other tiers.

Any speculative thoughts?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Suite upgrades were never an official benefit of the Courtesy Card but now that Globalist can get upgrades up to standard suites, I would think that applies to Courtesy Card holders as well.

My guess is that the pecking order for suite upgrades will be Courtesy Card > Lifetime Globalist > Globalist.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:45 am

I don't know how the hotels might differentiate between currently active top tier members and lifetime members. It would not surprise me if, like airlines, the hotels placed greater priority on currently engaged members than on lifetime members who no longer are high revenue guests.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:21 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I don't know how the hotels might differentiate between currently active top tier members and lifetime members. It would not surprise me if, like airlines, the hotels placed greater priority on currently engaged members than on lifetime members who no longer are high revenue guests.
They will have a different VIP code.

Remember that properties tend to favour loyal guests to that property. A return Globalist will generally be treated much better than a first time Globalist. Particularly at a PH.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:19 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Except that the word "standard" is missing from the Courtesy Card suite upgrade benefit. This suggests no change...

And the current Courtesy Card benefits do include suite upgrades as an official benefit. At least per what is included in the annual elite kit.

Originally Posted by SMK77
Suite upgrades were never an official benefit of the Courtesy Card but now that Globalist can get upgrades up to standard suites, I would think that applies to Courtesy Card holders as well.

My guess is that the pecking order for suite upgrades will be Courtesy Card > Lifetime Globalist > Globalist.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by sensei
Except that the word "standard" is missing from the Courtesy Card suite upgrade benefit. This suggests no change...

And the current Courtesy Card benefits do include suite upgrades as an official benefit. At least per what is included in the annual elite kit.
CC definitely should include everything "Globalists" get, plus additional perks and recognition.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 9:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

So nothing new here....
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Premature to say nothing new overall.

*Perhaps* nothing new benefits wise but we shall see. I personally was more interested in understanding changes to requalification - granted it is the dark arts.

And FWIW, although varying (significantly) by property, generally CC members are provided with suite upgrades at the DSU level (often higher) without asking, albeit based on availability. Usually this works out well but IME, not 100%.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:01 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it's fair to say that anyone who has held a courtesy card for some time has met a number of Hyatt higher-ups, albeit briefly. Because of that, hotel desk clerks are probably quite careful about making a courtesy card holder unhappy.

So it's a valid assumption that courtesy card members tend to get used to being treated well at Hyatts, not just going by what the rules entitle them to.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I think it's fair to say that anyone who has held a courtesy card for some time has met a number of Hyatt higher-ups, albeit briefly. Because of that, hotel desk clerks are probably quite careful about making a courtesy card holder unhappy.

So it's a valid assumption that courtesy card members tend to get used to being treated well at Hyatts, not just going by what the rules entitle them to.
I'm going on several years now and I couldn't disagree with you more.

First of all, meeting "higher-ups" is not something I necessarily believes factors in, nor have I done so in the last several years, as I've been too busy on business. I suppose though it depends on your definition of said individuals. A quick handshake of a GM, which I've seen many do to non elite customers as well as Diamond members doesn't count, as those folks aren't and weren't CC members.

You would think that staff would be careful to make CC members happy. It makes sense, no? But it varies TREMENDOUSLY by property. At the GH BKK, every staff member is shown your photo and knows you by name. At the GHT, it's 50/50. At domestic US Hyatt's it's zero. There is literally no recognition other than comp'ed upgrades -- I am not complaining - I am simply making a point. Being "quite careful about making CC members happy" is a serious YMMV situation.

Your last point; however, is spot on. It's a spoiling factor and getting free upgrades to nice suites (with the exception of certain properties who are incredibly stingy - GHTYO / PH Zurich / others - it's still easy to get spoiled with Pres Suite upgrades at no additional cost to a lowest cost room rate.

The ultimate lesson here is the following: the CC experience varies so much from property to property and based on your relationship with the staff (sometimes the better you know them the worse you are off - read: GHT) - that making assumptions having never had the status does little benefit. Glad to provide some insights and happy to help those who are curious about my personal theories about qualification and what not. But please don't assume that CC members are gods or treated as such. I've been put into stock traditional rooms at high rates as well. There is no free lunch in this world - and I am a CC by revenue, not a family member or owner.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:42 am

Thanks for sharing. Your experiences don't quite match mine and I would second what RichardInSF stated (who I believe has relevant experience). I wonder whether your frequent stays at GHT might cloud your impressions a little bit? This is a property with relatively few suites and one of the few properties that uses premium suites for DSUs. Together with healthy paid demand that often doesn't leave much left for CC.

While recognition varies at domestic Hyatts, it is always well beyond what I experienced as a Diamond (things like pre-arrival e-mails, refrigerator stocked per prior preferences, lavish amenities with multiple bottles of wine, meet & greet with multiple managers at arrival). Not all of these with every stay, but quite frequently. In my experience, staff will also go above and beyond and ensure that any issue is resolved prior to departure. You almost always receive a welcome note from the GM as well. Yes, there are some properties, especially franchised ones, where treatment is Diamond plus better upgrade. But that seems to be the exception not the norm.

With respect to the thread topic, let's see what happens on March 1!

Originally Posted by ainternational
I'm going on several years now and I couldn't disagree with you more.

First of all, meeting "higher-ups" is not something I necessarily believes factors in, nor have I done so in the last several years, as I've been too busy on business. I suppose though it depends on your definition of said individuals. A quick handshake of a GM, which I've seen many do to non elite customers as well as Diamond members doesn't count, as those folks aren't and weren't CC members.

You would think that staff would be careful to make CC members happy. It makes sense, no? But it varies TREMENDOUSLY by property. At the GH BKK, every staff member is shown your photo and knows you by name. At the GHT, it's 50/50. At domestic US Hyatt's it's zero. There is literally no recognition other than comp'ed upgrades -- I am not complaining - I am simply making a point. Being "quite careful about making CC members happy" is a serious YMMV situation.

Your last point; however, is spot on. It's a spoiling factor and getting free upgrades to nice suites (with the exception of certain properties who are incredibly stingy - GHTYO / PH Zurich / others - it's still easy to get spoiled with Pres Suite upgrades at no additional cost to a lowest cost room rate.

The ultimate lesson here is the following: the CC experience varies so much from property to property and based on your relationship with the staff (sometimes the better you know them the worse you are off - read: GHT) - that making assumptions having never had the status does little benefit. Glad to provide some insights and happy to help those who are curious about my personal theories about qualification and what not. But please don't assume that CC members are gods or treated as such. I've been put into stock traditional rooms at high rates as well. There is no free lunch in this world - and I am a CC by revenue, not a family member or owner.

Last edited by sensei; Jan 7, 2017 at 11:50 am
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
anyone know when Hyatt does the CC bumps ?

Just checked into ph Sydney. Got a great upgrade on both rooms and they restocked the mini bar with some of my favourite wines that I've ordered on previous stays as a "gesture to your loyalty". Seems above and beyond for diamonds for this property?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:40 pm

March 1, unless they changed that recently.

Originally Posted by footastic
anyone know when Hyatt does the CC bumps ?

Just checked into ph Sydney. Got a great upgrade on both rooms and they restocked the mini bar with some of my favourite wines that I've ordered on previous stays as a "gesture to your loyalty". Seems above and beyond for diamonds for this property?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Odd. First time I've ever gotten about 6 bottles of comped wine at a PH
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Will CC folks be called Hyattists or Hyatterists in WOH?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.