Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Sydney REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Sydney REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2017 | 5:57 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by m0hamed
The sit down dinners are cheaper.
How late can you stay for the dinner?
Old Sep 9, 2017 | 6:57 pm
Original Poster
15 Years on Site

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ausriver
How late can you stay for the dinner?
The area is very crowded. We left the HR and 8:15PM and arrived around 8:30 at the PH. You definitely want to stay until 1AM to walk back for the crowds to disperse.

Given all the roads are closed to traffic and there are police and security everywhere it's an easy walk and very safe.

The rooftop was one of the memories we'll cherish forever, but the dinner are much greater value. They may advertise them as Vueve or Belvedere parties but they have a full open bar. In fact the bartender on the rooftop was making us different Vodka cocktails all night.
Old Sep 10, 2017 | 3:24 am

My vote would be for a ticket to a NYE party in the botanical gardens... gives you an even better overview than the PH in my opinion. It's a bit of a walk, but a great experience as well.
Old Sep 11, 2017 | 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Years on Site

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Heading back down to Sydney next August and I think I've ruled out the PH Sydney (just got engaged and want to save the points for a PH Maldives 2019 honeymoon).

I'm getting an effective corporate rate (after Prestige 4th night free and 1.5% CC fee) of of A$193.36/night for 4 nights. Is that a price worth paying or should I keep my eye out for other properties? I've only ever stayed at the PH and the Sheraton on The Park so I don't have a good sense of the other places in Sydney.

Unfortunately will likely have no status so won't even be able to use a Club Upgrade so won't benefit from that.
Old Sep 11, 2017 | 4:13 pm
Original Poster
15 Years on Site

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Duke787
Heading back down to Sydney next August and I think I've ruled out the PH Sydney (just got engaged and want to save the points for a PH Maldives 2019 honeymoon).

I'm getting an effective corporate rate (after Prestige 4th night free and 1.5% CC fee) of of A$193.36/night for 4 nights. Is that a price worth paying or should I keep my eye out for other properties? I've only ever stayed at the PH and the Sheraton on The Park so I don't have a good sense of the other places in Sydney.

Unfortunately will likely have no status so won't even be able to use a Club Upgrade so won't benefit from that.
The SOTP is a much nicer hotel. The HR feels sterile, bland, but the worst part is how busy it is.

The SOTP are also renovating the club lounge. When finishes it's supposed to be spectacular.
Old Sep 14, 2017 | 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Years on Site

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by m0hamed
The SOTP is a much nicer hotel. The HR feels sterile, bland, but the worst part is how busy it is.

The SOTP are also renovating the club lounge. When finishes it's supposed to be spectacular.
Okay good to know. SOTP is coming in at a much higher price but I just discovered Marriott Circular Quay is only a total of $15 USD more than HR Sydney so that seems like a better option (and I should be Marriott Gold so can get club access there) than the Hyatt Regency
Old Sep 21, 2017 | 3:14 pm
50 Countries Visited3M100 Nights10 Years on Site

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I will be in Sydney for 7 nights and I have 2 free nights awards so I will pay 5 nights. I am hesitating between:
1. Stay at HR for all 7 nights
2. Stay at HR for 5 nights, move to PH and use 2 free night awards there.

Obviously PH is a nicer hotel so it normally makes more sense to use free nights at PH than HR.

For my dates, the base room at PH costs 4 times more than HR. However if I compare the price of the HR suite compared to the PH base room, the difference is 2x. The reason I mention this is because my stay at HR will be upgraded to a suite. So for the last two nights, I am really comparing a suite at HR vs a base room at PH (unless they upgrade me at PH which seems unlikely).

Is the base room at PH so much better than a suite at HR that it's worth bothering with a change in hotel rather than stay at the same place for the entire 7 nights? The 2x price difference indicates that yes it's worth switching hotels. Would some of you recommend the opposite?

ETA: if I compare the price in terms of points, it's certainly not 2x. PH base room 30k pts. HR club room 27k pts so a suite would theoretically be more, so in terms of points it would indicate that a suite at HR is better than a base room at PH.

Last edited by escape4; Sep 21, 2017 at 3:31 pm
Old Sep 21, 2017 | 3:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by escape4
I will be in Sydney for 7 nights and I have 2 free nights awards so I will pay 5 nights. I am hesitating between:

Obviously PH is a nicer hotel so it normally makes more sense to use free nights at PH than HR.

For my dates, the base room at PH costs 4 times more than HR. However if I compare the price of the HR suite compared to the PH base room, the difference is 2x. The reason I mention this is because my stay at HR will be upgraded to a suite. So for the last two nights, I am really comparing a suite at HR vs a base room at PH (unless they upgrade me at PH which seems unlikely).

Is the base room at PH so much better than a suite at HR that it's worth bothering with a change in hotel rather than stay at the same place for the entire 7 nights? The 2x price difference indicates that yes it's worth switching hotels. Would some of you recommend the opposite?

PH Sydney is one the best Hyatts in the system, considered by many to be the best hotel in Sydney. I am staying at HR x 4days, going to Cairns for 3 nights, then PH Sydney. PH is an aspirational hotel for many. It is worth the move for me. I would do HR 1st. May be a letdown going from PH to HR.
Old Sep 21, 2017 | 6:50 pm
Original Poster
15 Years on Site

As above there's really no comparison
Old Sep 22, 2017 | 5:35 am

ETA: if I compare the price in terms of points, it's certainly not 2x. PH base room 30k pts. HR club room 27k pts so a suite would theoretically be more, so in terms of points it would indicate that a suite at HR is better than a base room at PH.
Those two has no comparison. HR Sydney is just accommodation, PH Sydney one of the best hotel in the country. I personally would only rate the room of HR 3 - 4 stars, even if you stay with the suite rooms, it's got nothing luxury, just a slightly large room, and their standard suites doesn't even have a sliding door.
Old Sep 22, 2017 | 9:56 am

Can a lowly Explorist on a points stay expect any upgrade from the broom closet they apparently use for points redemptions? If I'm paying 150K pts for 5 nights, I'd hate to be disappointed. We don't need a suite, but how do they tend to approach/honor "Best non-suite room available" for Explorists?
Old Sep 22, 2017 | 10:08 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: HH Diamond

We stayed at HR 4 days in February. prior to a cruise. I also struggled with the HR vs PH decision but decided to go with HR when I found out our cruise ship would not be docked by the PH because a larger cruise ship was docked there. When we walked by PH, we were glad we stayed at HR.

Also, HR has a nice lounge with very good staff. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't believe PH has a lounge?
Old Sep 22, 2017 | 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by rbw5t
Can a lowly Explorist on a points stay expect any upgrade from the broom closet they apparently use for points redemptions? If I'm paying 150K pts for 5 nights, I'd hate to be disappointed. We don't need a suite, but how do they tend to approach/honor "Best non-suite room available" for Explorists?
You will need to email them in advance and be specific about your request (i.e new tower) for some upgrade to happen at this property.
Old Oct 16, 2017 | 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Hyatt Regency Sydney - Okay Hotel

Hyatt Regency Sydney

Map| 10 Reviews | 60% Recommended

Hyatt Regency Sydney

161 Sussex Street Sydney, New South Wales AU 2000

Okay Hotel (0 Photo)

Hyatt Regency Sydney

I am a local and stayed here for a few days so we didn't have to drive home.  Hotel and room was acceptable as a "nice" hotel.  Room was a little smaller than other similar hotels.  I'd stay there again.

A caution though if using the concierge.  As local Sydneysiders we asked the concierge how to get to two different places.  They told us on two occasions the wrong directions of how to get somewhere.

One last strange thing.  We asked the front desk for a newspaper and they said we had to go outside to the driveway and see the valet/attendant out there.   I thought it was a little strange when we asked him and he walked back inside to a locked storage area, opposite the front desk and got us a paper.

Okay Hotel

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Regency Sydney?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Nov 30, 2017 | 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, NYC MTA Gold, AA EXP
Just used a Suite upgrade--are all the Harbor view balcony suites same? or should ask for certain wing or sides?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.