Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Sydney REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Sydney REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:57 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SYD | HGH
Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Posts: 2,119
Originally Posted by m0hamed
The sit down dinners are cheaper.
How late can you stay for the dinner?
Ausriver is offline  
Old Sep 9, 2017, 7:57 pm
  #62  
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 8,494
Originally Posted by Ausriver
How late can you stay for the dinner?
The area is very crowded. We left the HR and 8:15PM and arrived around 8:30 at the PH. You definitely want to stay until 1AM to walk back for the crowds to disperse.

Given all the roads are closed to traffic and there are police and security everywhere it's an easy walk and very safe.

The rooftop was one of the memories we'll cherish forever, but the dinner are much greater value. They may advertise them as Vueve or Belvedere parties but they have a full open bar. In fact the bartender on the rooftop was making us different Vodka cocktails all night.
m0hamed is offline  
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:24 am
  #63  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Between AMS and BRU
Posts: 8,852
My vote would be for a ticket to a NYE party in the botanical gardens... gives you an even better overview than the PH in my opinion. It's a bit of a walk, but a great experience as well.
RTW1 is offline  
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:48 am
  #64  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,130
Heading back down to Sydney next August and I think I've ruled out the PH Sydney (just got engaged and want to save the points for a PH Maldives 2019 honeymoon).

I'm getting an effective corporate rate (after Prestige 4th night free and 1.5% CC fee) of of A$193.36/night for 4 nights. Is that a price worth paying or should I keep my eye out for other properties? I've only ever stayed at the PH and the Sheraton on The Park so I don't have a good sense of the other places in Sydney.

Unfortunately will likely have no status so won't even be able to use a Club Upgrade so won't benefit from that.
Duke787 is offline  
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:13 pm
  #65  
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 8,494
Originally Posted by Duke787
Heading back down to Sydney next August and I think I've ruled out the PH Sydney (just got engaged and want to save the points for a PH Maldives 2019 honeymoon).

I'm getting an effective corporate rate (after Prestige 4th night free and 1.5% CC fee) of of A$193.36/night for 4 nights. Is that a price worth paying or should I keep my eye out for other properties? I've only ever stayed at the PH and the Sheraton on The Park so I don't have a good sense of the other places in Sydney.

Unfortunately will likely have no status so won't even be able to use a Club Upgrade so won't benefit from that.
The SOTP is a much nicer hotel. The HR feels sterile, bland, but the worst part is how busy it is.

The SOTP are also renovating the club lounge. When finishes it's supposed to be spectacular.
m0hamed is offline  
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:39 am
  #66  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,130
Originally Posted by m0hamed
The SOTP is a much nicer hotel. The HR feels sterile, bland, but the worst part is how busy it is.

The SOTP are also renovating the club lounge. When finishes it's supposed to be spectacular.
Okay good to know. SOTP is coming in at a much higher price but I just discovered Marriott Circular Quay is only a total of $15 USD more than HR Sydney so that seems like a better option (and I should be Marriott Gold so can get club access there) than the Hyatt Regency
Duke787 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:14 pm
  #67  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Posts: 4,798
I will be in Sydney for 7 nights and I have 2 free nights awards so I will pay 5 nights. I am hesitating between:
1. Stay at HR for all 7 nights
2. Stay at HR for 5 nights, move to PH and use 2 free night awards there.

Obviously PH is a nicer hotel so it normally makes more sense to use free nights at PH than HR.

For my dates, the base room at PH costs 4 times more than HR. However if I compare the price of the HR suite compared to the PH base room, the difference is 2x. The reason I mention this is because my stay at HR will be upgraded to a suite. So for the last two nights, I am really comparing a suite at HR vs a base room at PH (unless they upgrade me at PH which seems unlikely).

Is the base room at PH so much better than a suite at HR that it's worth bothering with a change in hotel rather than stay at the same place for the entire 7 nights? The 2x price difference indicates that yes it's worth switching hotels. Would some of you recommend the opposite?

ETA: if I compare the price in terms of points, it's certainly not 2x. PH base room 30k pts. HR club room 27k pts so a suite would theoretically be more, so in terms of points it would indicate that a suite at HR is better than a base room at PH.

Last edited by escape4; Sep 21, 2017 at 4:31 pm
escape4 is online now  
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:32 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Midwest
Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 757
Originally Posted by escape4
I will be in Sydney for 7 nights and I have 2 free nights awards so I will pay 5 nights. I am hesitating between:
1. Stay at HR for all 7 nights
2. Stay at HR for 5 nights, move to PH and use 2 free night awards there.

Obviously PH is a nicer hotel so it normally makes more sense to use free nights at PH than HR.

For my dates, the base room at PH costs 4 times more than HR. However if I compare the price of the HR suite compared to the PH base room, the difference is 2x. The reason I mention this is because my stay at HR will be upgraded to a suite. So for the last two nights, I am really comparing a suite at HR vs a base room at PH (unless they upgrade me at PH which seems unlikely).

Is the base room at PH so much better than a suite at HR that it's worth bothering with a change in hotel rather than stay at the same place for the entire 7 nights? The 2x price difference indicates that yes it's worth switching hotels. Would some of you recommend the opposite?

PH Sydney is one the best Hyatts in the system, considered by many to be the best hotel in Sydney. I am staying at HR x 4days, going to Cairns for 3 nights, then PH Sydney. PH is an aspirational hotel for many. It is worth the move for me. I would do HR 1st. May be a letdown going from PH to HR.
thucanhho is offline  
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:50 pm
  #69  
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 8,494
As above there's really no comparison
m0hamed is offline  
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:35 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SYD | HGH
Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Posts: 2,119
Originally Posted by escape4
I will be in Sydney for 7 nights and I have 2 free nights awards so I will pay 5 nights. I am hesitating between:
1. Stay at HR for all 7 nights
2. Stay at HR for 5 nights, move to PH and use 2 free night awards there.

Obviously PH is a nicer hotel so it normally makes more sense to use free nights at PH than HR.

For my dates, the base room at PH costs 4 times more than HR. However if I compare the price of the HR suite compared to the PH base room, the difference is 2x. The reason I mention this is because my stay at HR will be upgraded to a suite. So for the last two nights, I am really comparing a suite at HR vs a base room at PH (unless they upgrade me at PH which seems unlikely).

Is the base room at PH so much better than a suite at HR that it's worth bothering with a change in hotel rather than stay at the same place for the entire 7 nights? The 2x price difference indicates that yes it's worth switching hotels. Would some of you recommend the opposite?

ETA: if I compare the price in terms of points, it's certainly not 2x. PH base room 30k pts. HR club room 27k pts so a suite would theoretically be more, so in terms of points it would indicate that a suite at HR is better than a base room at PH.
Those two has no comparison. HR Sydney is just accommodation, PH Sydney one of the best hotel in the country. I personally would only rate the room of HR 3 - 4 stars, even if you stay with the suite rooms, it's got nothing luxury, just a slightly large room, and their standard suites doesn't even have a sliding door.
Ausriver is offline  
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:56 am
  #71  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 542
Can a lowly Explorist on a points stay expect any upgrade from the broom closet they apparently use for points redemptions? If I'm paying 150K pts for 5 nights, I'd hate to be disappointed. We don't need a suite, but how do they tend to approach/honor "Best non-suite room available" for Explorists?
rbw5t is offline  
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:08 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: AZ
Programs: HH Diamond
Posts: 200
Originally Posted by escape4
I will be in Sydney for 7 nights and I have 2 free nights awards so I will pay 5 nights. I am hesitating between:
1. Stay at HR for all 7 nights
2. Stay at HR for 5 nights, move to PH and use 2 free night awards there.

Obviously PH is a nicer hotel so it normally makes more sense to use free nights at PH than HR.

For my dates, the base room at PH costs 4 times more than HR. However if I compare the price of the HR suite compared to the PH base room, the difference is 2x. The reason I mention this is because my stay at HR will be upgraded to a suite. So for the last two nights, I am really comparing a suite at HR vs a base room at PH (unless they upgrade me at PH which seems unlikely).

Is the base room at PH so much better than a suite at HR that it's worth bothering with a change in hotel rather than stay at the same place for the entire 7 nights? The 2x price difference indicates that yes it's worth switching hotels. Would some of you recommend the opposite?

ETA: if I compare the price in terms of points, it's certainly not 2x. PH base room 30k pts. HR club room 27k pts so a suite would theoretically be more, so in terms of points it would indicate that a suite at HR is better than a base room at PH.
We stayed at HR 4 days in February. prior to a cruise. I also struggled with the HR vs PH decision but decided to go with HR when I found out our cruise ship would not be docked by the PH because a larger cruise ship was docked there. When we walked by PH, we were glad we stayed at HR.

Also, HR has a nice lounge with very good staff. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't believe PH has a lounge?
MellieAZ is offline  
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:42 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SYD | HGH
Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Posts: 2,119
Originally Posted by rbw5t
Can a lowly Explorist on a points stay expect any upgrade from the broom closet they apparently use for points redemptions? If I'm paying 150K pts for 5 nights, I'd hate to be disappointed. We don't need a suite, but how do they tend to approach/honor "Best non-suite room available" for Explorists?
You will need to email them in advance and be specific about your request (i.e new tower) for some upgrade to happen at this property.
Ausriver is offline  
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:14 am
  #74  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Posts: 14,203
Hyatt Regency Sydney - Okay Hotel

Hyatt Regency Sydney

Map| 10 Reviews | 60% Recommended

Hyatt Regency Sydney

161 Sussex Street Sydney, New South Wales AU 2000

Okay Hotel (0 Photo)

Hyatt Regency Sydney

I am a local and stayed here for a few days so we didn't have to drive home.  Hotel and room was acceptable as a "nice" hotel.  Room was a little smaller than other similar hotels.  I'd stay there again.

A caution though if using the concierge.  As local Sydneysiders we asked the concierge how to get to two different places.  They told us on two occasions the wrong directions of how to get somewhere.

One last strange thing.  We asked the front desk for a newspaper and they said we had to go outside to the driveway and see the valet/attendant out there.   I thought it was a little strange when we asked him and he walked back inside to a locked storage area, opposite the front desk and got us a paper.

 

 

Okay Hotel

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Regency Sydney?

No, thank you.
Yes
Annalisa12 is offline  
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:04 pm
  #75  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, NYC MTA Gold, AA EXP
Posts: 318
Just used a Suite upgrade--are all the Harbor view balcony suites same? or should ask for certain wing or sides?
NYCWahoo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.