Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Why don't award stays count towards Hyatt status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2016, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club

I just can't find another post where this fits, but the question has to have been asked before!

With every other program counting hotel award nights toward status why doesn't Hyatt count free award nights but they count Points & Cash nights?

It seems like they've given incentives to get those points off their balance sheets (waiving resort fees, summer rebate programs ... and with the new program the ability to use DSU's and waived parking) - why don't they want to count them towards qualification?

The only logical reason I can think of is that award nights didn't post to HGP accounts - but they have lately with the new system. Any thoughts?
Old Nov 11, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
"why-dont-award-stays-count-towards-hyatt-status"

Simple answer: Hyatt doesn't want them to count. They have made a business choice. This has NoTHING to do with what other programs choose to do.

Anyone saying anything other than that is just strictly speculating. And yes this question has been beaten to death already.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by austin_modern
"why-dont-award-stays-count-towards-hyatt-status"

Simple answer: Hyatt doesn't want them to count. They have made a business choice. This has NoTHING to do with what other programs choose to do.

Anyone saying anything other than that is just strictly speculating. And yes this question has been beaten to death already.
It is annoying though, especially with the higher number of nights to achieve top tier with the new program in 2017. Even if Hyatt would give half a night credit on all point stays, that would at least be something.

From my perspective, I spend the year trying to reach the top tier thru a combination of business travel and a few vacations thrown in. For the vacation nights, i will most often use P+C so I get the stay credit to count towards Diamond. If i was to use all points, I worry that I would not get enough nights to reach Diamond and with the new program this will be even more of a challenge.

This type of setup then causes me to accumulate way more points in my inventory. I would prefer to use all points on vacation travel and not P+C, and availability of rooms using all points is typically better, with less restrictions than P+C.

If Hyatt were to bend on this issue that might show a little willingness to work with their existing Diamonds to not flee the program, as it appears is happening, if you read too many of these FT threads.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
From my perspective, I spend the year trying to reach the top tier thru a combination of business travel and a few vacations thrown in. For the vacation nights, i will most often use P+C so I get the stay credit to count towards Diamond. If i was to use all points, I worry that I would not get enough nights to reach Diamond and with the new program this will be even more of a challenge.

This type of setup then causes me to accumulate way more points in my inventory.
From Hyatt's perspective, that's desirable behavior. More revenue now and the points you accumulate will eventually be devalued.

Not that I disagree with you... but I don't personally care anymore. I have no interest in accumulating status nights anymore.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jdawg
I just can't find another post where this fits, but the question has to have been asked before!

With every other program counting hotel award nights toward status why doesn't Hyatt count free award nights but they count Points & Cash nights?
Because they say so. That's the only answer they need.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:23 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
It is annoying though, especially with the higher number of nights to achieve top tier with the new program in 2017. Even if Hyatt would give half a night credit on all point stays, that would at least be something.

This type of setup then causes me to accumulate way more points in my inventory. I would prefer to use all points on vacation travel and not P+C, and availability of rooms using all points is typically better, with less restrictions than P+C.

If Hyatt were to bend on this issue that might show a little willingness to work with their existing Diamonds to not flee the program, as it appears is happening, if you read too many of these FT threads.
They've done the math. Just cause you don't fit in the model in the way they've chosen doesn't mean $#!t to them. Move on or stay more.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Yep.

I would speculate that the culprit is that U.S. credit card card that transfers to Hyatt points - Chase is it? If award stays counted then you wouldn't ever have to spend a penny with Hyatt to receive Diamond status benefits since you could just move credit card points over for award stays.

That said, I would not be surprised if in 2018 award nights start counting, once Hyatt starts to see the impact of really annoyed former Diamonds leaving the chain.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Arrow

Originally Posted by hailstorm
True. Also a few years ago, NO chain counted award stays toward status. "No freebies on freebies." IIRC Hilton was the first to start. Then everyone else but Hyatt followed suit. Only Heaven & Hyatt decisionmakers know why they have not!

Of course, every so often most of us get lucky when our award stay mis-posts as a revenue stay including earning points on the retail price or at least on what HQ pays that hotel ! At Hyatt or any other chain!
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:33 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Brendan
True. Also a few years ago, NO chain counted award stays toward status. "No freebies on freebies." IIRC Hilton was the first to start. Then everyone else but Hyatt followed suit. Only Heaven & Hyatt decisionmakers know why they have not!

Of course, every so often most of us get lucky when our award stay mis-posts as a revenue stay including earning points on the retail price or at least on what HQ pays that hotel ! At Hyatt or any other chain!
Incorrect Hyatt award stays used to count, until a couple (5 or 10) of years ago.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peter42
Incorrect Hyatt award stays used to count, until a couple (5 or 10) of years ago.
Hyatt award stays used to count if there were incidental charges. I don't think it was the policy.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I would speculate that the culprit is that U.S. credit card card that transfers to Hyatt points - Chase is it? If award stays counted then you wouldn't ever have to spend a penny with Hyatt to receive Diamond status benefits since you could just move credit card points over for award stays.
Pretty much everyone else has a card, though, and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

To get 60 free nights, you would need 60 * 5000 (Cat1) = 300,000 points from the card. That requires a spend of $300,000 (I guess technically $150,000 if you only spent it on restaurants, airlines, or car rentals).

I can't imagine there are many people who are going to hit that (particularly given you get Explorist for $50k spend on the card).
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I have been active in HGP since 2006 & my memory agrees with TerryK over Peter42. We called it "getting lucky."
Old Nov 16, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum

It seems like they've given incentives to get those points off their balance sheets (waiving resort fees, summer rebate programs ... and with the new program the ability to use DSU's and waived parking) - why don't they want to count them towards qualification?

The only logical reason I can think of is that award nights didn't post to HGP accounts - but they have lately with the new system. Any thoughts?
-Insert corporate answer here-

We love our customers.
Jeff
Old Nov 16, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum

I have gotten lucky a few times this year it is a nice unexpected reward.^
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
With every other program counting hotel award nights toward status
Then everyone else but Hyatt followed suit.
False statements. Fairmont doesn't count them either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.