Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt should allow post-checkout meal charges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt should allow post-checkout meal charges

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2016, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
And what you just wrote isn't what Often1 wrote, which is exactly why I said that's not how it works. No idea why you're being so argumentative.
I don't see posting a different opinion based on over a decade's worth of experience working in hotels to be argumentative.

Of course it creates potential accounting issues. So does virtually any room charge, including opening a previously-closed account to add additional charges for minibar adjustments or taken items. Why some people have so much problem with the same concept in one case but not the other baffles me. All invite human error. Pragmatically, the only difference might be which human(s) are tasked with the possibility of making that error, but even that is not certain.
First, most after check-out charges are put through separately and not added to the room folio.

But as you note, it certainly is possible for hotels to accomplish this task. But, it requires having someone at the Front Desk check the room back in, wait for the charge to be posted, and check the room out again. That ties up two employees for X minutes. To me, that's a poor use of labor to provide a very minor benefit.

But, if you want all Hyatt hotels to offer this service you'd need to change the system to allow all employees to do this without intervention by the Front Desk. (And like any system change, it should have safeguards put in place to avoid human error.)

Doing this would cost money to change the property management system, third-party point-of-sale systems, and training thousands of people about the changes. That won't be happening because it is not common to charge anything after check-out.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
.....That won't be happening because it is not common to charge anything after check-out.
This. :-: It is a complicated change to accommodate a small number of customers and may not bring in additional revenue.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Often1
I suppose that every transaction creates some potential issue, but that is not the point. What OP proposes creates a greater risk of erroneous charges to the wrong customer than the room-linked account where post-checkout charges are only added manually when there are specific issues, e.g., unreported mini bar items, stolen property, damage and the like. Even then, there are routine errors which require customer attention to fix (or are not fixed and which customers simply pay).
Well, you made it part of your point when you (incorrectly) speculated about how hotel POS systems work. But to address the greater point, every element of property synergy is a "hypothetical benefit". And the convenience always has risk - for example, on the thread topic of a meal from an affiliated restaurant being charged to a specific guest's folio, risks exist whether or not that guest is currently checked in to an arbitrary room or not. Of course the reality of the benefit has to be weighed against the risk, but again, it's baffling how some people seem to have so much trouble comprehending the equation in one but not the other.

I don't see posting a different opinion based on over a decade's worth of experience working in hotels to be argumentative.

I agree that posting opinions is not argumentative.

But I'd say posting an opinion that doesn't disagree with me and then claiming you do disagree with me is pretty argumentative.

BTW, there's no hotel POS I know of (including the one Hyatt properties typically use) that requires a guest to be checked-in to add charges to the folio.

Last edited by gengar; Oct 26, 2016 at 6:20 pm
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the choice is between eating at the hotel and going out to a restaurant, whether one gets points from the meal can easily become the deciding factor. This is FT after all.
That is one good reason. Another is when I bill clients for travel expenses, it is more convenient to have post-checkout expenses appear on my folio than deal with another receipt. That is especially true because the folio is available as a PDF download; a post-checkout charges isn't.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:19 pm

BTW, there's no hotel POS I know of (including the one Hyatt properties typically use) that requires a guest to be checked-in to add charges to the folio.
All the ones I ever used or knew about did require the guest to be checked in in order to send a charge. If the guest is not checked in, the folio would have to be closed. Closed folios do not have available credit to accept charges.

In the end, I stand by my point that this will never happen because it's so rare.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
All the ones I ever used or knew about did require the guest to be checked in in order to send a charge. If the guest is not checked in, the folio would have to be closed. Closed folios do not have available credit to accept charges.
But guests do not have to be checked-in to reopen folios. Half the discussion in this thread is impossible otherwise. Under Hyatt's PMS (Opera) this is very easily done with the "reinstate" function.

Originally Posted by JackE
That is one good reason. Another is when I bill clients for travel expenses, it is more convenient to have post-checkout expenses appear on my folio than deal with another receipt. That is especially true because the folio is available as a PDF download; a post-checkout charges isn't.
Yep, and it's for this reason that charging to the room from other revenue-generating entities at the same property is so commonplace (and in some cases, even possible at other properties under the same brand!), despite the fact that there are risks to doing so. Property synergy is incredibly important in creating/maintaining profitable properties. And in this case the situations really aren't that different - but for some reason people's perceptions of them seem to be.

Last edited by gengar; Oct 27, 2016 at 10:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.