Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric -- Mountain View, California REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric -- Mountain View, California REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:21 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Maybe you are confusing Rack with regular prevailing rates. I'm sure the Four Seasons rack is much higher than $500.
Regardless of the "technical term to describe the rates", lets say the average price difference shows the Hyatt is more expensive than the FS... The Hyatt Centric is by no means a FS.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I just picked a random night, September 11-12. The Sheraton Palo Alto is $605. The Courtyard Palo Alto is $705. The Residence Inn Palo Alto Mountain View is $589. The HR Santa Clara is unavailable. And the Hyatt Centric MV is $711. So...I wouldn't say the Hyatt Centric is completely out of line with comparable properties in the same general area.

Hotel prices in SV during the week are insane!
adambadam likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:21 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just drove by and the hotel is beginning to look like it will be done before too long. At least the scaffolding is gone! When it finally does open, I will try to stop by and take some photos.

For the random night I just picked, October 15, AAA/senior rate was $486. But construction continues on two new Marriott branded hotels just a mile or so away on San Antonio Road. Hopefully when they open it will give some local rate relief, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:49 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Officially open 7/18

https://newsroom.hyatt.com/news-releases?item=123870

CHICAGO (July 18, 2019)Hyatt Hotels Corporation (NYSE:H) announced today the opening of Hyatt Centric Mountain View. Ideally situated in the Village at San Antonio Center, the new 167-room hotel marks the lifestyle brand’s first property in Silicon Valley, Calif. and its fourth in the state. Designed for a growing segment of savvy explorers seeking shareable moments to inspire others, the Hyatt Centric brand currently has 29 properties across 11 countries, including Chile, France, Spain, India, Japan, and more.

“We are pleased to bring the in-the-now spirit of the Hyatt Centric brand to Silicon Valley,” said Rich Higdon, general manager of Hyatt Centric Mountain View. “The hotel is designed as a launch pad that encourages visitors to explore and experience the unique aspects of our dynamic city.”

• Hyatt Centric Mountain View Exterior

• Hyatt Centric Mountain View Library

• Hyatt Centric Mountain View Front Desk
Tech-forward décor creates a sense of place at Hyatt Centric Mountain View, paying homage to the area’s history as the birthplace of modern technology. Locally inspired art references Silicon Valley’s storied innovation -- a dramatic installation in the lobby, for example, is rendered with hundreds of mini pocket compasses and a neon depiction of the periodic symbol for silicon. A cozy lounge by the bar features metal panels with an interactive QR code motif as well as wall art composed of classic Atari games and other creative memorabilia. Multi-media pieces created with computer components adorn guestroom walls.

“Not just in Mountain View, this hotel is truly of Mountain View,” says Corry Oakes, President and CEO of OTO Development, part of The Johnson Group. “The lively design captures the community’s innovative vibe, immersing guests in the essence of Silicon Valley.”

OTO developed Hyatt Centric Mountain View with project partners including CallisonRTKL, architect, Studio HBA, interior designer, and Lusardi Construction Co., general contractor. OTO is operating the hotel with a leadership team comprising Rich Higdon, general manager, Keith Battaglia, director of sales, and Bryan Showalter, executive chef.

Hyatt Centric Mountain View comprises 167 modern, streamlined rooms and suites designed to deliver everything guests want and nothing they don’t. Hardwood floors are accented with area rugs based on intricate tile patterns, and wall coverings mimic textured woven linen. Headboards offer full connectivity with plenty of outlets and ports to charge devices, as well as discreetly designed lighting. Along with custom open closets, HD Smart TVs, and Drybar Buttercup blow-dryers in every room, among other in-room offerings, hotel amenities include a fitness center equipped with LifeFitness machines, a 24/7 business center and a second-level terrace with heated pool, firepit and life-size games.

The design-forward hotel offers full-service catering and lively meeting space, both inside and out, divided into 11 distinct settings for everything from corporate functions to social gatherings. The elegant Cloud Ballroom features floor-to-ceiling glass walls that slide open to access al fresco seating.

Fairchilds Public House, the hotel’s restaurant and bar, serves up locally sourced California cuisine for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with a beverage program drawing from regional breweries and wineries. Hours are 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. on Friday; 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. on Saturday; 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Sunday; and daily happy hour from 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. The indoor and outdoor spaces include a lively bar and cozy lounge, fresh-air veranda with fire pit, and a variety of dining spaces. View On 2 offers cabana-style drinks and dishes on the second-floor terrace, with views of the Santa Cruz Mountains.

With its emphasis on connecting travelers to the local community, Hyatt Centric Mountain View is located just steps away from restaurants, retailers and a movie theater, and close to Silicon Valley’s top technology companies. Within walking distance to Caltrain and a Stanford Express Bus stop, there is easy access to hotspots on Castro Street in Mountain View, University Avenue in Palo Alto and the Downtown Triangle in Los Altos.

Hyatt Centric Mountain View was built to LEED Silver standards, with an emphasis on sustainable land use, resource conservation and waste minimization. With built-in systems to reduce energy and water consumption, the hotel operates as responsibly as possible with programs such as comprehensive recycling, Clean the World® soap reuse and light touch cleaning based on guest request. The property additionally offers EV charging stations.

Hyatt Centric Mountain View is located at 409 San Antonio Road in Mountain View’s Village at San Antonio Center. To make a reservation or book special events, visit www.HyattCentricMountainView.com or call 650.948.1234.

To provide World of Hyatt members even more ways to be rewarded, World of Hyatt is offering members the opportunity to earn 500 Bonus Points for qualifying nights at Hyatt Centric Mountain View from July 18 through October 31, 2019, part of World of Hyatt’s new hotel member offer. Additional participating hotels and their offer stay periods can be found at worldofhyatt.com/newhotelbonus. Terms & Conditions apply. No registration is required, and members can earn on top of other offers.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
I was hoping they would have a member rate and rack rate price sign outside like a gas station does for cash and credit pricing. That would be cool.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Weekday prices remain insane, often in the $500+ range for a hotel where the largest suite is a measly 670 sq ft (and $750+ a night) and a regular room can be as small as 280 sq ft. I am a huge Hyatt fan but can hardly wait for the two Marriotts being built a mile away to get finished, maybe that will moderate rates. For now, I'd suggest considering only Friday and Saturday nights, when the rate drops precipitously to on around $160 a night. During the week, the Four Seasons East Palo Alto is a better deal!.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:26 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Weekday prices remain insane, often in the $500+ range for a hotel where the largest suite is a measly 670 sq ft (and $750+ a night) and a regular room can be as small as 280 sq ft. I am a huge Hyatt fan but can hardly wait for the two Marriotts being built a mile away to get finished, maybe that will moderate rates. For now, I'd suggest considering only Friday and Saturday nights, when the rate drops precipitously to on around $160 a night. During the week, the Four Seasons East Palo Alto is a better deal!.
Crazy pricing indeed. I can usually get either the Hyatt Regency Santa Clara, Hyatt House Santa Clara or Hyatt House San Jose Silicon Valley in the 275-325 range. Would never pay 500$ for this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Pricing is not out of line considering the location and it's corporate neighbors. Four Seasons is higher on a lot of the random dates I checked. Regardless, I'm sure Google et al have some nice corporate rates for their folks.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Anybody stayed yet? I'm there this week, checking in tonight. Globalist treatment and breakfast thoughts? I see suites are available, so we'll see if they play upgrade games or not
Old Oct 27, 2019, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Anybody stayed yet? I'm there this week, checking in tonight. Globalist treatment and breakfast thoughts? I see suites are available, so we'll see if they play upgrade games or not
Have you been monitoring the PG&E website for power outages? It looks to me like the hotel is near some of the blackouts (due to the fires and high winds), so you should try to check that there will be electricity. The local TV news reports have looked bad.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

I live about a mile from the hotel. This entire area, in fact the entire Peninsula down to and including San Jose is not part of the blackout zone. I drove by the hotel yesterday (still haven't looked inside) and it is totally open for business.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I live about a mile from the hotel. This entire area, in fact the entire Peninsula down to and including San Jose is not part of the blackout zone. I drove by the hotel yesterday (still haven't looked inside) and it is totally open for business.
Yep power here is fine. Most of the populated areas in SV are not actually subject to the blackouts. Lots of smoke in the air though. Smells like a camp fire. Already things about this hotel that are annoying me, but I'll post a full review later
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Have you been monitoring the PG&E website for power outages? It looks to me like the hotel is near some of the blackouts (due to the fires and high winds), so you should try to check that there will be electricity. The local TV news reports have looked bad.
Totally OT, but the PG&E website and maps are worthless.

And as already noted, the flats are not subject to blackout.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:47 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Looking forward to seeing a review ! I had hoped to stay here during a trip a few weeks ago, but the recently acquired Joie de Vivre properties in Mountain View and Sunnyvale were about 1/3rd the price of the HC. While the JdV properties weren't anything exceptional, I thought they were fine and I have difficulty imagining what would make this property worth 3x the cost.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 8:46 pm

Well I checked out yesterday after a 3 night stay and here's my review. I think this place has some kinks to work out that probably already should have been worked out.

I checked in on a Sunday and the hotel seemed to be at pretty low occupancy. I did online check in and got the notification that my room was ready well in advance of my arrival. When I got to the hotel to get my keys, I asked what kind of room and was told it was a King ADA..... I didn't even have words and just gave the FD agent the most disgusted, confused face I could.... Upon noticing that, the FD agent said she could make a change and I proceeded to ask about suites since they were available for sale and as a Globalist I was eligible for the upgrade. She looked around for a bit and assigned me into a Studio Suite. This hotel does NOT list standard vs premium suites, so I have no idea what kind of room I was actually eligible for. I also had to inquire about parking as well as breakfast (i.e. information not offered proactively, especially as a first time guest at this particular hotel). Self parking is $15 per night, though they offered to waive it (and it did not appear on my bill). Breakfast was stated as $25 pp allowance at the restaurant. Parking process was one of my pet peeves - having to go back out to the car to apply some sort of tag to the car after having just walked in with my luggage.

Upon arriving at my room I believe I was assigned the absolute smallest Studio Suite in the place. I've definitely been in standard rooms at other hotels that were larger. The website lists standard King rooms going up to 370 sqft and Studio Suites can be as small as 340 sqft. The room had a partial divider between the bed area and the couch. The room had a strange odor that never went away. Overall, the room was in good shape (as it should be for being so new). Lighting in the room was controlled by a Lutron system and was decently laid out, though it took 2 nights to figure out how to turn off the night light in the bathroom. Water provided in the room for elites was Fiji. There was a small fridge, but it was meant to be a mini-bar with a lock. Since it wasn't locked, the door didn't actually close properly and as such it couldn't maintain a cool temperature. The AC seemed to have difficulty changing the temperature rapidly, but did eventually reach my preferred nighttime temperature, Bedside had 2 outlets, as well as USB-A and USB-C plugs (which was a first for me). Two TVs in the room, on on each side of the divider. However, they were both the same model which meant if you were in bed watching TV, when you tried to switch it off for the night you invariably turned on the other TV unless you were very careful.

Breakfast in the morning was generally slow, even with only 2 other people in the restaurant at 6:30am. First morning I got the Eggs Benedict and it was pretty tasty, but not great. No meat on it, but bacon on the side. Took 20 minutes to get the food. Second morning was pancakes, side of bacon, and juice. Again, 20 minutes to get the food. This meal actually went over the $25 limit which is absolutely insane. Third morning was 2 hard boiled eggs, yogurt, juice, and toast. That was $17. That only took 10 minutes to get, but it was all brought out together, including the juice. Meanwhile the guy next to me, who arrived after me, already had his water and coffee.

Dinner at the bar was decent and the bartender made decent cocktails. Decent selection of bourbons/ryes including Templeton, Blantons, Basil Hayden, Woodford, and Bulleit. Smoked Old Fashioned (done with actual smoke after lighting a piece of wood on fire) was OK, but a little off. The standard OF I had the next night was better. Had the poke the first night. Ended up tasting more like salmon than the bigeye tuna it was supposed to be. Second night was the short rib tacos which were tasty.

The biggest disappointment here was the checkout experience. I went to do online checkout, but noticed that one of my breakfasts was still on there and the tips for the other 2 were on there. So I went to the front desk to have it taken off. They were willing to take off the first breakfast, but insisted that tips were not covered. When I informed that the WoH T&Cs were clear on this they said they'd have to talk to a manager later to get it cleared up and they'd email me my bill, so I left. Later in the day I received my bill and only the breakfast had been taken off. The tips remained. So I called the hotel and was forwarded to the GM which I reached his VM and never received a call back. SO I called back the next day and was transferred to the Assistant GM. She listened to me then proceeded to insist that some hotels choose to include tips and others don't. I cut her off at that point and told her that it was not the hotels choice - it was explicitly spelled out in the T&Cs that gratuity was included. She then offered to take the tips off. I asked about my future reservations at the hotel, and she said she would put a note on my future reservations. I inquired if that meant that other Globalists staying at the hotel in the future would have similar issues and she said others had not had an issue with the tips.... She immediately then changed the subject and stated that with the $25 limit, as long as my meal along with tip was under the $25 limit, it wouldn't have been an issue at all. I countered with my final meal which was $17 with a $2 tip which still had the tip on the bill and she didn't have an answer. She said she'd have to look into how things were posting and why the tip still showed up even in that case. I asked her to follow up with me afterwards when she figured it out. We'll see if that actually occurs

Hotel does offer points for skipping housekeeping. Of course they didn't post automatically, even though I informed them at check-in I would participate and had the DND sign out at all times....Pretty typical for me on those programs at Hyatt.

Poke

Flourless chocolate mousse cake

Benedict

Breakfast menu, part 1

Breakfast menu, part 2

Pancakes and bacon

"Closet" area

Into room from front door

From "Closet" towards bathroom

Bathroom

"Bedroom"
ryandc99 and CodeAdam10 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.