Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm about to check out of this place.

While the location if the HR Waikiki is better, this is just a better hotel IMO. I got upgraded to the standard suite (city view king) which was nice and big. My room was nicer and seemed to be more recently renovated than the HR. Breakfast here is a million times better. I got the buffet both days and it was great. At the HR the food was so bad that I ended up going across the street to the Shorefyre for breakfast every day (which was really good). They didn't even have me sign anything here for breakfast. On the first morning they asked me if my room included breakfast, and I told them that I was going and gave them my name and room number. On the 2nd day they didn't even ask for that -- I guess they remembered me because after I ate I asked if I needed to sign anything and they said, no, you're globalist, don't worry about it.

Overall, the service is better, the rooms are nicer, and the food is 100x better (inedible at the HR IMO). The rates are reasonable (I'm paying $188/night + tax; IIRC the HR was $50-$100 more per night) The fact that they don't have as lounge is no big loss (probably a gain, since it means restaurant breakfast instead of lounge breakfast). I still much prefer Maui or Kauai, but this is now my go-to hotel when I end up in HNL.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm about to check out of this place.

While the location if the HR Waikiki is better, this is just a better hotel IMO. I got upgraded to the standard suite (city view king) which was nice and big. My room was nicer and seemed to be more recently renovated than the HR. Breakfast here is a million times better. I got the buffet both days and it was great. At the HR the food was so bad that I ended up going across the street to the Shorefyre for breakfast every day (which was really good). They didn't even have me sign anything here for breakfast. On the first morning they asked me if my room included breakfast, and I told them that I was going and gave them my name and room number. On the 2nd day they didn't even ask for that -- I guess they remembered me because after I ate I asked if I needed to sign anything and they said, no, you're globalist, don't worry about it.

Overall, the service is better, the rooms are nicer, and the food is 100x better (inedible at the HR IMO). The rates are reasonable (I'm paying $188/night + tax; IIRC the HR was $50-$100 more per night) The fact that they don't have as lounge is no big loss (probably a gain, since it means restaurant breakfast instead of lounge breakfast). I still much prefer Maui or Kauai, but this is now my go-to hotel when I end up in HNL.
Was the breakfast at HR that bad? Was it in the lounge? I had heard the HR Waikiki lounge overall for the Americas was not too bad.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIFlya
Was the breakfast at HR that bad? Was it in the lounge? I had heard the HR Waikiki lounge overall for the Americas was not too bad.
No hot food when I was there. That's a deal-breaker. It was just snacks, and not particularly high-quality. I think the only meat was some cold-cuts. Sorry, that's not breakfast.

Shorefyre (a diner across the street) is really quite good though. Their version of Loco Moco is AMAZING. You can also get the patty a la carte. They make it with real ground pork and beef (not spam). It's just the perfect amount of fatty and it tastes amazing.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:12 pm

No hot food when I was there. That's a deal-breaker. It was just snacks, and not particularly high-quality. I think the only meat was some cold-cuts. Sorry, that's not breakfast.

Shorefyre (a diner across the street) is really quite good though. Their version of Loco Moco is AMAZING. You can also get the patty a la carte. They make it with real ground pork and beef (not spam). It's just the perfect amount of fatty and it tastes amazing.
Oh man that does sound disappointing.

Haha...I hope you haven't been going to places that serve Loco Mocos using spam as the meat portion!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIFlya
Oh man that does sound disappointing.

Haha...I hope you haven't been going to places that serve Loco Mocos using spam as the meat portion!
I thought that in loco moco, the patty was often made with spam?

Anyway, they are very proud of their pork and beef patty, as they should be. It really is amazing. It's JUST the right amount of greasy. I highly suggest trying it the next time you are in the Waikiki area around breakfast time.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:49 pm

I thought that in loco moco, the patty was often made with spam?

Anyway, they are very proud of their pork and beef patty, as they should be. It really is amazing. It's JUST the right amount of greasy. I highly suggest trying it the next time you are in the Waikiki area around breakfast time.
I think the standard recipe is for it to be a hamburger patty. Spam is usually only in like fried rice/noodles and spam musubi. :-) I am glad you enjoyed it, Loco Mocos are such a simple dish yet so ono.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:20 pm

Am unable make a reward booking using free night here - all the nights in 2020 show unavailable. What gives?

Unfortunately, this hotel is not accepting World of Hyatt points or award during those dates. Explore our other rates or modify your search.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
Am unable make a reward booking using free night here - all the nights in 2020 show unavailable. What gives?
This property is playing the minimum stay game, which it likely learned from Andaz Maui. Points stays are limited to stays of 3 nights or more.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
This property is playing the minimum stay game, which it likely learned from Andaz Maui. Points stays are limited to stays of 3 nights or more.
Not cool! Thx for the info - will try to see if I can get 3 nights.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not cool! Thx for the info - will try to see if I can get 3 nights.
That's what people do at Andaz Maui, then drop the nights they don't want.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's what people do at Andaz Maui, then drop the nights they don't want.
So I'm trying to use a certificate - don't have Hyatt points. Am I SOL? Would calling in do anything?
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:29 pm

So I'm trying to use a certificate - don't have Hyatt points. Am I SOL? Would calling in do anything?
It used to be that Hyatt would force them to open up award nights if you complained, but I think they've been letting properties get away with this lately. Not 100% sure, no personal experience.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Here’s my experience (just checked out two weeks ago from a 5 night stay):

Check In - Great Service, I emailed ahead requesting an upgrade they put us on the “penthouse floor”.

The Room - First time at a Hyatt Centric so I’m not sure if it’s Hawaii, or just the Centric brand but the room felt really small. I guess I’m just used to bigger rooms with Hyatt. But the look was very nice, sleek and upper class. You could see the ocean while in the shower. The downside though is no balcony.

Amenities - Great mostly, except they changed their breakfast time even though they gave us a card at check in but apparently it was changed a week prior. Tons of free stuff to rent, and events.

Location - 5 mins from the beach, good location overall though.

Value - Tbh if I was paying the cash rate I would strongly go with Hyatt Regency Waikiki. I paid in points and this was a Cat 4 while HR is a Cat 5 so I went with Hyatt Centric.

Unique things - There was a cute chair swing in the lobby that you can relax in, along with a Big TV and couch too.

Dining options - Few and far between. Globalists get a free buffet breakfast though which is normally $25 per person so that’s a good perk.

As far as Hyatt’s go I’d stay 4/5 from what I’ve stayed at so far.

Here are the Hyatt’s I have been to so far and am competing against:

Hyatt Place Dallas - 2/5
Hyatt House Austin Arboretum -3/5
Hyatt Regency ABQ - 3.5/5
Hyatt Place Santa Fe - 2/5
Hyatt House Orlando Across from Universal - 4/5
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt globalist, Marriott Gold
Just checked in today, the first room they assigned me had a broken AC and clogged toilet (21st floor ocean view) so I asked for another room
then they basically downgraded me to a smaller room on a lower level
Old Oct 18, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
When I stayed a couple of months ago, I used points+TSU and they gave me a suite 1 floor above the lobby. Not sure why, but I swear I get the worse suites most of the time. Hyatt Regency put me up on the top floor the next week (but no suite was avalable)

I did generally like the Centric quite a bit -- the breakfast was decent, service was very friendly, finishes in the room were perfectly fine, etc. I though the lobby bar was a little 'sad' feeling. The Hyatt regency waikiki ended up topping all of that though and it will be hard for me to choose the Centric over them next time I am in Waikiki.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.